What’s in between a 6.5 Creedmoor and the Magnums?

So if I wanted something that has more energy than a 6.5 CM with the same or better drop and wind drift but also less recoil than something like a 300 Win Mag, 7mm, etc., what am I looking at?

The 6.5 PRC seems to fit the bill. My only concern there is the availability, now and in the future, for factory ammo since it’s a new round in a super competitive market. I don’t reload and am not going to so factory ammo availability is a factor. Aside from the PRC, what else should I be looking at.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The guys here know their stuff. You'll want to look at 270 and 7mm-08. Both are very manageable recoiling cartridges. But...

Your need for "killing energy" is why you want something more than 6.5 I'm assuming? Just keep in mind that a well placed 6.5 shot is going to kill big game I promise you. A poor placed heavier bullet shot is much worse. It's why I shoot my .260 more than any of my others on big game. Almost no recoil which makes it extremely accurate. I've killed multiple elk with my .260 and have never had one go more than 50 yards.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
After shooting many different chamberings over 30 years , chasing every every new trend both standard and magnums I settled in with the 270 and the 7mm08. Im an eastern deer hunter but I feel I would be very comfortable and well rifled up about anywhere in the lower 48 With my set ups.
If factory ammo is a must you really can't beat the .270. That'll be some of the most commonly found ammo. There's been a few companies that started loading for the .280 AI. It'll be a little harder to find than .270 but that would be a sweet caliber as well.
It's for these reasons that I settled on the 30-06. Bullet versatility from 110 gr to 220 gr, and ammo is readily available anywhere,

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It's for these reasons that I settled on the 30-06. Bullet versatility from 110 gr to 220 gr, and ammo is readily available anywhere,
Yeah let's recommend a cartridge that has 55-70% more recoil in a thread where he stated he didn't want to step up too much on recoil.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah let's recommend a cartridge that has 55-70% more recoil in a thread where he stated he didn't want to step up too much on recoil.
I thought he said "between a 6.5 CM and a Magnum". I never knew that a 30-06 was considered a "Magnum". I learn something new every day. Unless of course you're differentiating between Long Action and Short Action.

Last edited:
Neither the 270 Win nor the 7mm-08 get you much more than the 6.5 CM.

The 6.5 PRC and 280 AI are a step up without “that” much more recoil. I’d lean towards the 280 AI for bigger game but I’d have no qualms about hunting large game with the 6.5 PRC.

renagde

WKR
I thought he said "between a 6.5 CM and a Magnum". I never knew that a 30-06 was considered a "Magnum". I learn something new every day. Unless of course you're differentiating between Long Action and Short Action.
He asked for less recoil than a 300 or 7mm. I would say the 30-06 has marginally less than the 7mm but probably not too much perceived.

OP
G
He asked for less recoil than a 300 or 7mm. I would say the 30-06 has marginally less than the 7mm but probably not too much perceived.
I’ll settle this for you guys lol. I have owned a 30-06 in the past and did not enjoy shooting it. I switched to a 308 bolt gun and that was way more comfortable to shoot. Sold that a while ago…probably should have kept it.

Now that I’m starting from scratch, I want to be on the low end of the recoil spectrum. While a 30-06 is less than a 7mm (which I’ve also shot a lot), it’s just slightly less suck. I’m looking for little to no suck.