What's the deal with everyone using suppresors?

bpurtz

WKR
I've shot a couple suppressed rifles and they're kinda cool. But for hunting I don't want the weight gain and I'm too impatient to sit in ATF jail...

What, we still wear hearing protection when shooting hunting rifles with them. It helps but don’t “ silence “ them nearly that much. Unless your talking .22 s or subsonic. Buddies have them, I just don’t see the need either. I feel a lot of it is the “cool factor. “

Because my 7rm with a break and muffs ain't enough to make it safe.

Then I still have the blast that I anticipate and is worse than the recoil.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What, we still wear hearing protection when shooting hunting rifles with them. It helps but don’t “ silence “ them nearly that much. Unless your talking .22 s or subsonic. Buddies have them, I just don’t see the need either. I feel a lot, the biggest part of it is the “cool factor. “

My wife and daughter are ashamed when I go out in public. My camo does not match. I cut my own hair.

I assure you that I don’t use a suppressor for the cool factor.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They are definitely a great way to get kids into shooting. My boys can carry his own rifle next year so I had to buy another for me.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
The benefits to using suppressors are so endless. My suppressor has been the difference between a kid enjoying his or her first day shooting, after shooting their dad’s rifle and getting scared and alarmed by the blast.

Good on you for using them with your kid. So many benefits to that alone.

It actually surprises me that people who choose not to own a suppressor (your choice, that’s cool) appear to have a need to rationalize their opinion with the idea that a big part is the “cool factor” instead of the actual reasons we are choosing to shoot suppressed.

Sure, some shooters buy cool stuff, but I guarantee that the majority of hunters on RS are buying them because it makes their hunt and shooting better.

Stalker69

WKR
Because my 7rm with a break and muffs ain't enough to make it safe.

Then I still have the blast that I anticipate and is worse than the recoil.
So take the brake off ? I don’t have a brake any longer on my 7 mag, 300 wm, or 338 win. And never plan on having one on anything again. I know it’s everyone’s personal decision, but they just are not worth it to me. If recoils to bad, shoot something else. With the bullets available today, many shoot smaller caliber rifles and enjoy just as much success. And their not afraid of their guns anymore, so they shoot them more often also.

TaperPin

WKR
I’m looking forward to getting a can - I doubt it will get packed up a mountain, but if it makes plinking more fun it can’t be all bad.

There are many advantages and a few negatives. Added length, weight, and expense are three, but the big one is the legal hurdles. That’s the biggest obstacle stateside. Cans undoubtedly make a better shooting experience but the juice ain’t worth the looooong squeeze for so many, and I understand that. Me? I applied for my SOT to expedite the process.

Stalker69

WKR
The benefits to using suppressors are so endless. My suppressor has been the difference between a kid enjoying his or her first day shooting, after shooting their dad’s rifle and getting scared and alarmed by the blast.

Good on you for using them with your kid. So many benefits to that alone.

It actually surprises me that people who choose not to own a suppressor (your choice, that’s cool) appear to have a need to rationalize their opinion with the idea that a big part is the “cool factor” instead of the actual reasons we are choosing to shoot suppressed.

Sure, some shooters buy cool stuff, but I guarantee that the majority of hunters on RS are buying them because it makes their hunt and shooting better.
So your kids don’t need hearing protection when shooting HP suppressed? Because I can tell you the guys I go with theirs do, as do ourselves. And those kids shoot both ways, and have no issues either way.

So take the brake off ? I don’t have a brake any longer on my 7 mag, 300 wm, or 338 win. And never plan on having one on anything again. I know it’s everyone’s personal decision, but they just are not worth it to me. If recoils to bad, shoot something else. With the bullets available today, many shoot smaller caliber rifles and enjoy just as much success. And their not afraid of their guns anymore, so they shoot them more often also.

You are correct.

I took the break off of most everything. Once I realized it's not KE, but wounds that kill, I started to go smaller bullets and in turn, calibers. I found that it really doesn't take as much as I thought to kill within 500 yards.

My 7rm I just can't shoot as accurately without something for recoil suppression, blast is pretty terrible with a brake, so....

But I have a small thingy too.

Stalker69

WKR
My wife and daughter are ashamed when I go out in public. My camo does not match. I cut my own hair.

I assure you that I don’t use a suppressor for the cool factor.
Yea but your not sportin your weapon, for others to see and admire. Lol

So your kids don’t need hearing protection when shooting HP suppressed? Because I can tell you the guys I go with theirs do, as do ourselves. And those kids shoot both ways, and have no issues either way.
Where did he say that they don’t need ear pro? Of course you should.

I teach people to shoot as part of my job and it is inarguably easier to teach someone to shoot a suppressed rifle vs and non suppressed. The muzzle blast affects novice shooters and without it they enjoy it much more as a whole.

kkp005

WKR
Less recoil, doesn’t kill your ears, being able to hear the bullet thud as it impact an animal

I do lots of night thermal hunting. It’s MUCH easier and safer being able to communicate with buddy’s without muffs or earplugs

Muzzle blast effects kids and causes bad shooting habits. All the kids I’ve taken to shoot are much more comfortable shooting suppressed guns

TaperPin

WKR
My suppressor has been the difference between a kid enjoying his or her first day shooting, after shooting their dad’s rifle and getting scared and alarmed by the blast.
It’s easy to forget about this, but it’s a big one for kids and adults. Anything that makes it more fun and easier on the ears is a winner.

TrackerG

FNG
I just can’t get over strapping a 5-6 inch weight that is roughly a half pound onto the end of my barrel and still going on a backpack hunt. Idk maybe it will be fathomable once I shoot someone else’s gun with 1

bpurtz

WKR
Huge benefit when it comes to hunting and game can’t isolate the sound and don’t react with alarm to typical shots out west.

Don’t forget that.
I'm not so sure about the claim of game not isolating the sound. I've sat in a pit on a long range shoot - the bullet snap is louder than the sound of the rifle.

Just out of curiosity I searched and found this video...

sveltri

WKR
I honestly want to know. I don't get the need for one on a rifle. I've noticed on SM that a lot of these guys are using one and have seen pictures of people using them on here. I just don't get the need for one. Can someone fill me in? Is there some unknown advantage (other than obviously being more quiet) that I'm missing? Or are people just using them to look cool?
Have you shot suppressed? I was kinda the same as you until I actually tried it. I will do everything I can to shoot suppressed moving forward.

Bluumoon

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Pretty loud ringing in my ears at the moment. Started years ago after shooting 9mm w out plugs, 5x worse after shooting with brakes.

Buddy shot his bull elk at 300 yards this fall. 3 elk and 5 deer surrounding the elk continued to feed after 2 suppressed shots. The other animals didn't leave until my buddy stood up and started walking closer.

30-06 goes from unfun to fun with suppressor.

Wife doesn't care when I shoot centerfires off the back porch now.

Stalker69

WKR
I just can’t get over strapping a 5-6 inch weight that is roughly a half pound onto the end of my barrel and still going on a backpack hunt. Idk maybe it will be fathomable once I shoot someone else’s gun with 1
Been there, it’s just not worth it to me.

mi650

WKR
I double up on ear pro when on the range, + suppressors. Already have tinnitus, hoping to keep it from getting worse.

The last few years, I've been using a Henry X-Model .30-30 suppressed. I'm still amazed at how quiet it is, especially with the barrel sticking out of my blind. And like others have said, when I shoot a deer with it, others stand around trying to decide what to do.

ks7caCX.jpg