What’s the max POI everyone sees when you remove your muzzle break?

Elite

WKR
Hey everyone,

I went out to the range today to verify some velocity’s and MOA adjustments. I have a 30-06 with a proof carbon barrel which shoots very well. Everything was going perfect. I decided to pull of my 2 port muzzle break and just test to see if there was a difference in point of impact. I seen a 4” drop difference at 200 yards.

My horizontal plane was similar but the bullet hit 4-5” lower? This seems extreme or is this normal? I tested several shots with and with out the break and same results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aoudad

FNG
I cleaned my Proof Glacier Ti after 100 rounds, took the brake off and reinstalled. My rifle was off 4/10 mil...... I wouldn't have thought it would be off but it is what it is.

DaleW

WKR
As long as it's repeatable I wouldn't worry about it. I have 2 rifles with same proof cf barrel and identical brakes. One of them has almost zero poi shift when I remove the brake and the other one shifts around 2 moa. Not really sure why there's a difference, but it's never concerned me.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
As long as it's repeatable I wouldn't worry about it. I have 2 rifles with same proof cf barrel and identical brakes. One of them has almost zero poi shift when I remove the brake and the other one shifts around 2 moa. Not really sure why there's a difference, but it's never concerned me.

Thanks for the input. I wonder if a lighter brake would help. I would like to be able to use my brake when hunting wide open terrain and then utilize no brake when hunting thick bush and there is now time to put hearing protection in

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A lighter brake should reduce it a little bit. I am sure you could do some loading and find one that would allow the zero to be the same with and without the brake. That would take a good little bit of testing though. If you are 4 inches low at 200 yards just dial your scope up 2 moa once you take your brake off if you have exposed turrets.

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone,

I went out to the range today to verify some velocity’s and MOA adjustments. I have a 30-06 with a proof carbon barrel which shoots very well. Everything was going perfect. I decided to pull of my 2 port muzzle break and just test to see if there was a difference in point of impact. I seen a 4” drop difference at 200 yards.

My horizontal plane was similar but the bullet hit 4-5” lower? This seems extreme or is this normal? I tested several shots with and with out the break and same results.

Pulled brake off my 300 Rem Mag and shot 1/2 inch high couple weeks back. I forgot how much that thing kicked: brake went back on quickly and was again Sub MOA. Normally with brake it kicks less than my 243 win.

BPI_Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Check the ID of the inside of your brake you might be suffering from bullet strikes causing the point of impact.

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
Adding/losing mass from the muzzle,will ALWAYS skew POA/POI.........