Whats your backpacking or hunting guilty pleasure?

Whiskey..... Always whiskey but something special like Stagg or Pappy. Gotta have it for when it's time to celebrate.

I have been trying to find a bottle of pappy for the last year.. That shit is impossible to find

Poser

WKR
I have been trying to find a bottle of pappy for the last year.. That shit is impossible to find

Yeah, Pappy has gotten impossible. Even in a major market that is a neighboring state to KY with a long history of Bourbon distribution, the liquor store allotments were cut back so severely this year that they liquor stores that got them had to go to a lottery system on the waiting list.

If you like Pappy, you should try Col. EH Taylor. It is very similar to Pappy and at a reasonable cost. It is so similar, that some people suspect that it may very well be the Pappy reject barrels sold off under another name. You know they're not throwing those reject barrels away.

Yeah, Pappy has gotten impossible. Even in a major market that is a neighboring state to KY with a long history of Bourbon distribution, the liquor store allotments were cut back so severely this year that they liquor stores that got them had to go to a lottery system on the waiting list.

If you like Pappy, you should try Col. EH Taylor. It is very similar to Pappy and at a reasonable cost. It is so similar, that some people suspect that it may very well be the Pappy reject barrels sold off under another name. You know they're not throwing those reject barrels away.

I'm gonna try finding that this week

I've had one of those setups for over a year now...just got some of the beer packets for Christmas though....gonna be using it on a hike in packraft/float hike out trip in Utah early next month...should be a nice little perk on the trip.

I assume you're going after bear...where you floating at in utah?

charvey9

WKR
I always pack a book to read. I'm patient, and enjoy the outdoors but those afternoon sits just kill me if I don't have something to read. Since I'm such a weight freak, it is a pretty heavy guilty pleasure.

I am working on getting in good with my local liquor store owner. She told me to come back in November when she gets her pappy in.

Took your advice and got some col. EH Taylor. She said that it is almost as hard to find as pappy. She also told me to get some of this john J bowman. She said he used to work at the pappy distillery. Now he makes his own and she said she thinks it is better than pappy. I must say it's is awesome.
aqetebep.jpg

unm1136

WKR
I can count on both hands the number of cigars/pipes I have smoked in my life, but I like them as a victory dance. If I am car camping, I have a cooler of home brew or really good commercial beer. I have been playing around with flavoring whiskies lately, and coffee and vanilla so far are winners. Vanilla/black pepper is the next experiment that will go with me to turkey camp in a couple of weeks.

The last couple of years I have reduced my ration, because i tend to go to bed early and getting out of the hammock to whiz more than once a night in the snow sucks. When in the field.I give up my benadril, beacuse I take it so much at home, and I give up almost all caffiene in the woods, switching from coffee and energy drinks that make my crazy hours possible and go to green and white teas.

I also almost always have something to read, and I carry no guilt.

pat

Used to be a flask of quality single malt, like Lagavulin. Now, I'm happy with some of that cheap, spicy whiskey flavored with cinnamon that's called Fireball.
-you get your whiskey And candy fix, with a peppery zing in there.
Tastes like crap down below, but out in the backcountry it's really good!!!

InDeep

WKR
I pack 4 packs of fruit snacks .. I crave them BAD . I almost never eat them at home but when I'm packed in , I love them .

I pack 4 packs of fruit snacks .. I crave them BAD . I almost never eat them at home but when I'm packed in , I love them .

This is totally me! I pack each days food in a gallon ziploc, and there's always two packs of fruit snacks per day. I also take some little plastic cups of peaches. I know it is not worth the weight, but there is simply nothing better with all the healthy trailmix, energy bars, dried fruit, etc...

littlebuf

Banned
last year i packed up some fair scones for myself,brock and justin for one of our trips in September. wife brought them back from the fair for me. it was a pretty popular decision. this year i may just pack up three burgers from the same fair if timing works out.

Buster

WKR
I pack all of my optics/electronics everywhere I go. 80mm swaro and tripod, 10x42slc's, canon sx 50, iphone and scope adapter and rangefinder. Even if I'm hunting my whitetail ground blind, hunting with someone that has a better camera, hiking in off season, etc. they all stay as a package. I paid a lot for all of it, and hate the idea of regretting leaving one of them behind,

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
I literally just showered from my AK hunt. and have been dieing to reply to this thread since i learned my mandatory item. its not booze or a cigar (tho both are nice around the fire!)

Camp slippers. as long as i'm not camping in the snow, i'll never leave my flippy flops at home!!!!
!