What's Your Elk Hunting Weakness?

ElkNut1

WKR
Mine is evening hunts! Just rarely hunt them. When hunting 23+ days in Sept. I may hunt 2-3 evenings. With that means I rarely if ever hunt all day, I just flat out get to antsy & bored! (grin) My goto time is daylight till 1pm.

What's yours?

ElkNut

1. Being too far away to really scout pre season. 20 hour one way drive.

2. Getting old enough to where moving back country camps is too taxing on my knees. Hump in once and run and gun from there.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can’t sit for very long, even when I know I should be. I’m always thinking, just get to that next ridge and you’ll be in elk, when in fact I probably was already in elk.

You’d think with age you would have more patience (and less hiking!), I don’t.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Patience. I’m wired to be constantly moving or doing something. If Im not in contact with elk I need a location to work towards or have a good glassing setting I’m a mess and make poor decisions. Like bumping elk I didn’t know were there because I was so convinced they had moved to the next drainage.

87TT

WKR
I guess I have the patience thing a little but not as bad as when I was younger. My biggest weakness I guess is nerves, when the big on comes in hot. Or rushing the play.
I’ve come to enjoy a nap in the woods and it helps me stay out longer.

bcnorth

FNG
walking to much, no patience to stay in one spot or small area for too long. Feeling like the elk are gone and leaving the area when they were quietly bedded. Afraid of busting out the herd bull instead of making a play

Bwblodg

FNG
I would say the feeling of constantly being under pressure. If you have spotted an animal there are probably other people that have as well. It seams there are more and more hunters and less places to get away from them on public land. But it still beats working. Never had a bad hunting trip. Some frustrating ones though.

Geewhiz

WKR
One of my weeknesses is I suck at sneaking. I’ve blown more stalks than I can count. My solution to that which is another thing I have trouble with, is learning patience in ambush situations. Since I have so much trouble closing the distance to the animals, more often than not these days I set up and wait for them to come to me. It is not easy sitting for hours on end when you can hear bugles you want to chase, but as it turns out it has been a very effective strategy.

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
Patience. I’m wired to be constantly moving or doing something. If Im not in contact with elk I need a location to work towards or have a good glassing setting I’m a mess and make poor decisions. Like bumping elk I didn’t know were there because I was so convinced they had moved to the next drainage.
Same. And giving up on a calling sequence too quickly just to have one that’s coming in quiet blow out to the next state over

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is evening hunts! Just rarely hunt them. When hunting 23+ days in Sept. I may hunt 2-3 evenings. With that means I rarely if ever hunt all day, I just flat out get to antsy & bored! (grin) My goto time is daylight till 1pm.

What's yours?

ElkNut
Wow, that is a glaring ‘weakness’ especially if hunting far from home. Can’t imagine what I would do all day sitting around camp when I can be glassing, hunting, napping in close proximity to the herd, etc. all day.

A weakness I have is perhaps aggressive tactics which is productive till it is not and knowing where/when to draw that line.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I can’t sit for very long, even when I know I should be. I’m always thinking, just get to that next ridge and you’ll be in elk, when in fact I probably was already in elk.

You’d think with age you would have more patience (and less hiking!), I don’t.
This is me right here!