What's Your Elk Hunting Weakness?

nphunter

WKR
Shooting too small of bulls, I really want to kill a big bull but always shoot the first 6 point in front of me. I really feel I need to do a better job of passing up decent bulls, otherwise, I’ll just have to get lucky to get a big one which I don’t like to rely on.

As far as evening hunts I prefer to hunt evenings, mornings are great but elk are always on the move in the morning. I find if I can get a bull talking after about 11 am then there’s a good chance I can get in on him and have an opportunity. I suppose it really depends on the type of country a person is hunting.

Last edited:

hunterjmj

WKR
Not having patience in moving slowly. My Dad loved elk hunting and killed a lot of elk in his lifetime because he moved slowly through thick timber and blowdowns. I'm more of a deer hunter but when I'm hunting elk I just don't have the patience he did.

Jaquomo

WKR
Not taking my own advice from my articles and seminars, and second guessing myself...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can’t sit for very long, even when I know I should be. I’m always thinking, just get to that next ridge and you’ll be in elk, when in fact I probably was already in elk.

You’d think with age you would have more patience (and less hiking!), I don’t.

⬆ this often leads to this ⬇: :ROFLMAO:

Bailing off into the deepest thickest canyons without thinking about the pack outs 😂

grfox92

WKR
Lack if experience, lack of horses.

No one hunts where I hunt without horses. Just me and my hunting partner. Quite literally never see anyone on foot.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

jtrips

FNG
Right there with you! Patience, those bulls often come in awfully quiet and I have blown it numerous times on those quiet satellite bulls as I just get impatient

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Mine is evening hunts! Just rarely hunt them. When hunting 23+ days in Sept. I may hunt 2-3 evenings.
I love evenings! But I do hit a spot in the morning and generally come back to camp until evening and then hit a different spot. Then start over the next day hitting two other different spots. And that is exactly because I get bored out of my mind if the elk aren't actively talking. Ya, I could work some bedding areas mid day and afternoons, but on average those are just boring times of day. So I conserve energy and attention span by limiting my exposure to those down times.

But my biggest weakness seems to be limbs, twigs, leaves, etc that I don't see at all......or are visible but aren't in my line of sight to the vitals. That's been a problem for me over the years.

gelton

WKR
I am rarely able to get ahead of the elk early mornings as they head up. Much better suited to find their bedding area and catch em mid-day or late evening.

I also find that since spending more time hunting out of a wall tent instead of backpacking in, it's harder to get out of bed, and then a truck ride and a hike in steals too much of my time to be in good areas at first lite. It's nice to be mobile and certainly more comfortable but I think it robs me of valuable hunting time.

This is never a problem when I am backpacking though because when the alarm goes off I want to get up and move around instead of laying in a cold tent, and because I am already fairly close to what I would consider a good area, the hunting starts as soon as I walk out of camp.

Jethro

WKR
Inability to accurately pinpoint bulls location by their bugles. Some sound close to me and they’re not, and vice versa.

Appreciate everyone’s reflections, here. Hopefully next year I’m in a position where I have to avoid making mistakes.

Staying in one GMU too many years. I am older and my hunting years are dwindling. This unit is steep and rugged but I just don't have time to earn points to hunt elsewhere and living 1100 miles away prevents the opportunity to try to scout other GMU's. This unit went draw a few years back and I know it pretty well now. Kind of stuck. I will be lucky to physically make it another 3-4 years.

I also hunt all day, everyday, for 9 days. I can't kill one in camp or sleeping.

Last edited: