What’s your rifle weigh?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I broke my right hand in a fiat fight when I was 16, I was in a cast for 6 weeks. I got good at doing stuff with my left hand for those 6 weeks.

Clarktar

WKR
You punched a fiat? Broke my right hand once as well. Not punching a car. First conundrum happens the after you sit down for a number 2.....
I shoved my right hand into an industrial pasta machine in my early twenties. That thing kicked my ass.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My lightweight is under construction right now— Tikka T3 270wsm, McM edge fill, 24” Proof Sendero, VX5HD, should end up just under 8lbs loaded.

Have a .257wby Rem 700 with a Bartlein 3b, McM edge and Swaro Z5 that is 8.25lbs loaded.

Long gun is a 10.75lb .300 Norma-

Gonna be really close- your rifle was a good inspiration! I still need to flute the bolt and decide on a bottom metal and bolt knob too!

What do those rings weigh? I went with Hawkins 2 piece on mine.

As far as rings I had to order up high sportsmatch even with just a 44mm objective due to the fatty carbon barrel sticking up more than the skinny OEM tikka barrels. Yours will be sticking up even higher with a standard sendero contour as mine is a sendero lite so I am hoping ya didn't order the low Hawkins rings as it may run into objective on the barrel issue. The standard sportsmatch were too low and I ended up putting them on my bros lefty Tikka I posted above with the SWFA 3-9 so they didn't go to waste. ;)

Just mocked up the rings and scope on the T3 stainless.

The Hawkins LOW with VX5HD 3-15x44 gave me 2.3mm clearance over the top of the Proof Sendero. Not quite as much as I'd like but definitely enough to make it work. Really glad I don't have to send these back.

Receiver is 2005 manufacture, but it does look like I'll need to clean up the screw holes a little with a 6-48 tap.

You and me both!!! I'm really excited about these rings... they only weigh 1.1 ounces more than the rail alone that I had previously mounted. Total weight calc with aluminum bottom metal and a factory mag is 8lb 3oz loaded.

How much you think I can lose fluting the bolt and changing the handle out?

OXN939

WKR
Screen%20Shot%202018-07-02%20at%204.22.54%20PM_zpsur2mem34.png

This dude is a few ounces above 7. There's a lot of talk here about physical fitness, and while that is certainly pertinent, a heavy rifle on a strenuous hunt like some of the ones mentioned here still sucks for even a monster athlete. My school of thought is, optimize both both (that is, carry a light kit AND stay in good shape.) That way, if you did have to take a shot in anything other than perfect conditions, you have the greatest chance of making it a good one.

Something that I think a lot of guys overlook is that it’s a lot cheaper and easier to lose the weight off your ass rather than the gear we carry for most guys anyway.
I will "celebrate??" birthday #68 in a couple of weeks, after 2 shoulder surgeries/bilateral total knees/1 lumber surgery done and 1 impending, I STILL have a strong desire to hunt the tough places - I'd still be able to bench 225 for reps (if my shoulder doc wouldn't say "THAT IS UTTER STUPIDITY FOR YOU", I'd still do lunges with 145# IF it would not dislocate my "knee track pins", my back tightens up and I have to sit a bit every "once in a while", other "old guy stuff" yet I still run the elliptical up to 100/6-8 incline for an hour 3 times a week but I think that even given I have to live on a relative "budget" I think I'll still opt for as lightweight a rifle as I can manage and feel pretty darn good about it …..

Bountyhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Kimber Hunter in .280 Ack. Imp. with one piece Talley rings and Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14 with level bubble. Got the stock bedded and the trigger lightened up. Got the rifle on gun broker for $740.

7lbs total unloaded. Hunted with a similar setup last year that I borrowed and it makes an awesome difference over what I’d call normal weight rifles like yours and my older 30-06 setup. We don’t even pack slings anymore. You can hand carry it all day without a problem.

16d77c7d3fd19e1c779cfefc4552dd6b.jpg

e0df6e4aea6b45be29f6a917bf960dc8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question is how did it shoot? I am looking at a 280AI, either build or buy

WKR
I also picked up a Kimber hunter in .280AI. I haven't had a chance to make it out to the range yet loaded up some 145 lrx with RL17 for load development. . I heard rl26 will work great but unfortunately I am out and my backorders haven't arrived yet.

I pulled out the gel in the stock and installed talley one piece rings with a Z3 3-10x42. Mine comes in at 6lbs 2.4oz empty. IMG_6383.JPG

rhusby28

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka T3 offers 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag, and 7mm Rem Mag. The Sauer 100 rifles are kind of a secret at the moment but offer excellent quality and accuracy just like the Tikka T3. Sauer offers the 6.5 PRC, 300 Win Mag, and 7mm Rem Mag.

Tikka T3 offers 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag, and 7mm Rem Mag. The Sauer 100 rifles are kind of a secret at the moment but offer excellent quality and accuracy just like the Tikka T3. Sauer offers the 6.5 PRC, 300 Win Mag, and 7mm Rem Mag.
there are a bunch more offerings in the Tikka T3X as well

Question is how did it shoot? I am looking at a 280AI, either build or buy
I bought one last year in Sept, didn't see any need to change anything about anything on the rifle, got to work on loads, it shoots 140 Accubonds very nicely and killed a speedgoat in WY at 400+ yards with a head shot - when I got home I had a month before elk hunt so worked up a load with 160 Accubonds, shoots them better than the 140's, killed an elk at 604 yds, one shot - I am very happy with this rifle and it carries like a dream, I believe that "$740" is very close to what I paid off GB too

ChrisAU

WKR
Cooper 92 280 AI - 93 oz
NF NX8 4-32x50 - 29 oz
Talleys - 2 oz
KDC Bipod Stud - 1 oz

7 lbs 13 oz

Add ammo and the scope flip covers and it'll be tipping 8 lbs.

Cooper 92 280 AI - 93 oz
NF NX8 4-32x50 - 29 oz
Talleys - 2 oz
KDC Bipod Stud - 1 oz

7 lbs 13 oz

Add ammo and the scope flip covers and it'll be tipping 8 lbs.

Do you have your hands on that NX8??? I just added myself to the the preorder list. Going on my 300 norma.

Very true, but if you’ve read all of the post Dcaccia said he is only interested in magnum calibers.
Ya, that's the problem with "taking a quick look" …. although it's not such a popular one any more with the younger "fast" crowd it's a small maneuver to get a superlight in 7mm rem mag then send it (or take it)to J.E.S. and have it made into a 338 Win Mag - I have one, although it's a bit of a kicker it's totally useful, not abusive IMO and you also get a hammer forged barrel with cut rifling, often a bit faster and easy to keep clean