What's your shelter?

dotman

WKR
May be a bit longer... Just ordered a slick bag and Angie just sent my confermation with the shipping date estemated at 8 weeks. Last time I looked into them, They were in the 4-6 week range.

I see your coming over to the dark syn side over down :)

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have had synthetic bags from Kelty, TNF, and some others (can't remember off the top of my head), and have never been satisfied with the insulating ability. I always come back to down, myself.

Curtis C

WKR
If you are using a bivy inside/under a tarp would you use a bag with a little higher temp rating? Say maybe a 30° rather than a 20° or stick with the same bag you would use without a bivy?

C

dotman

WKR
If you are using a bivy inside/under a tarp would you use a bag with a little higher temp rating? Say maybe a 30° rather than a 20° or stick with the same bag you would use without a bivy?

C

I have never used a bivy but I swear Aron and others have always said it adds 5-10* to a bag. I could be wrong but that seems to be stuck in my head. So I would say yes if my memory is correct.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll be using a Kifaru Woobie it 35 degree bag inside my bivy until it gets real cold.

I know a lot of guys that always use a 30+ big and just layer up with clothing to save weight. This depends on where you live and how you hunt, but I can get away with a lot by wearing clothing to bed.

My 35 degree bag weighs 18 oz's and with added clothing + a bivy I can stay warm below 20. I do use Hot Socks from Integral Design because my feet are normally the problem.

With the Kifaru bags you don't need to worry about getting them wet and when I use the Slik 20 I can stay warm with just the and clothing throughout elk season with no issue.

Beastmode

WKR
I have a big agnes copper spur ul4 and will be getting the ul2. I really like being watertight top and bottom so I guess I am one of the few that loves tents still. Being in the northwest where it is quite wet staying dry helps stay sane.

Last edited:

Slim Jim

WKR
I just got the 2012 big Agnes seedhouse sl1 and it only weighs 2lb 3oz. I think they dropped about 6 to 8oz from previous model. I know it isn't as light as a tarp but it is still really light for a two layer tent. I appreciate having the extra protection from the elements and if I ever decide to leave the nest out and just go with fly and footprint, it's only 1lb 10oz. Pretty cool tent.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I broke down and bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platinum. After a few mods, 2 pounds exactly. It really is a 1.5 person, but I don't plan to share, so it is luxurious for one. The down side is I can't use it in nevada as I will heavy bivy with me is it hs the only thing that fits in a deer bed, which is where my camps will usually be. If I get lucky on the scouting trip and find camps where I can use it I will, but I doubt it up there.

JG358

WKR
The bottom photo shows the total usable space that this shelter provides.
DSC01313.jpg

I want to say Ill be using one of these but since time and funds are running low, I'll be toating around an 8man Kifaru tipi or using a bivy if weather permits.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I just hump my Cabela's 6 man Alaska Guide tent with added vestibule. :)

On backpack hunts I use a Terra Nova Laser Competition that comes in right at or under 2lbs. Used it on a few hunts last season and was very impressed with it. No condensation issues even when I used my stove inside it boiling water and eating my meals or when I used it during the winter on the snow. Easy to setup and it has enough room under the vestibule to fit my pack and misc junk.

bowinhand

WKR
Big Agnes copper spur 2 but seriously considering a Kifaru super tarp w/ annex and stove. seems like every time I decide on a Kifaru item they come out with something new so I hold out and not pull the trigger.

mtmiller

WKR
I have been using a BA CopperSpur for the last couple years. IIRC, it is ~2 1/2 pounds. Prior, MSR Zoid 1. Now my backup.

Couple days ago without the fly.
153.jpg

Me and the pup fit no problem.
81.jpg