When to put a dog down?

It's a tough row to hoe, alright....my girl Sage (yellow lab) turns 13 next month...had her since she was weaned. She almost died on me a couple times this year...$3500 in vet bills later, she has bounced back almost to her old self, but still needs another similar surgery...it just sucks when they get old...

Rob5589

WKR
You'll know because he will tell you in his own way. Sorry you guys are at this point. Been there more than once and it never gets easier.

Went thru this a month ago with my 16 yr old Britt.

Totally sucks but there’s no right or wrong answer and no matter whet you decide to be the right time ido not second guess yourself. Easy to beat oneself up over this decision even when it’s the right one.

I got pretty lucky as Sage had a pretty good quality of life until the last few days.

With pot legal in Wa I was able to give her a daily dose of CBD oil which really seemed to help her sleep comfortably and deal with the anxiety that comes with being old. My vet even blessed the cbd oil which sort of surprised me. May be something you want to look into. I noticed there selling the stuff in pet stores now but that may only be in Wa and Co?

Good luck and love them while you can.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
I've had to do this too many times....seems to me you know when its time.
I agree with this. Had to put my lab down last year and that was the same advice I got. It was right. It’s not easy. I cried like a baby. Feel for you!

doc88

FNG
There really is no right or wrong time in a situation like yours. You know your pet better than anyone. I get this question all the time and the best answer I can come up with in my 30 plus years as a veterinarian is that if you are thinking about it then it's pretty close to "time". Mobility and appetite are the biggest factors. If a dog eats he's happy. But if he can't ambulate then that is a different story especially with larger breeds. You'll know the right time.

Terminal illness is a little different story but old age is a quality of life issue and like I said you know your pet better than anyone..

This is never easy to go through and there is no right or wrong decision. We all feel your anguish.

I hope this helps a little bit and if I can be of assistance please let me know.

Robby

I was in your shoes approximately 2 years ago. Our second Husky, and the one my kids grew up with was in failing health at 14 years young. My wife and kids kept telling me the old boy was fine, just tired. Blind love allowed me to believe our pet had more time. My wife and I would walk him every day, no matter the weather!! His last day it was him and I walked probably 10km, all seemed well. Half hour after our walk he had a stroke. No vet would come in until the next a/m. Although the family comforted him all night. I have to live with knowing I waited too long to help my friend.

I'd agree with that 100%. I know I've put it off longer than I should have in the past. Any more, I just think about the quality of the life of my dogs. Its far easier said than done but I will never let another one of my dogs suffer because I'm to selfish to loose them.
see above
I took mine to have put down 3 times. The first two times I couldn't do it. She would look up at me and I took her back home. The third time the vet told me I was being selfish and it was past time. It still was very hard.

WCB

WKR
I just went through this on Friday. My 14 year old Springer. Had him since I was 19. Toughest decision I have ever made. He ate well and drank well. But he was skin and bones. Didn't seem to be in much pain except for arthritis in one front leg. But his hearing and almost all his eyesight were gone. He had times of not being able to walk across tile and last winter snow and ice were not his friend. A few months ago we figured out he had Dementia he would go into bouts of circling the basement, running into things, getting stuck or just staring at walls or corners and barking. He had swings of doing good and being a normal old dog and then bad days or weeks. It began to get more frequent and finally last weekend it didn't really stop for 3 days and he didn't eat or drink that whole time. we called the vet and we spoiled him for one last week.

This past week he actually was acting pretty good and eating well again but overall I knew where it was leading and I'm glad we ended on a good week. Friday I took a short day at work came home and took him for a couple hour drive down some dirt roads. Gave him all kinds of treats and hung out outside for a few hours., but 5pm came way too fast.

It will never be the right time for you, but you know your dog and think of whats best for them. Waiting until he couldn't our wouldn't eat or was in non-stop pain is not what I wanted to do.

jfs82

WKR
Woke up to my (sick for a while at that point but still goin at a good clip) husky bloated, in pain and nearly immobile one morning. Her kidneys had failed and she couldnt stand to be touched when I went to take her in to put her down. I called around for a while and found a vet I still thank to this day (10 years later) who was willing to put his license on the line on a day off, meet me on the side of the highway and give me morphine to put her down at home so I wouldnt have to transport her. It felt right to do it myself and I was glad to not have to add to her pain by carrying her and driving.

OP I look at it like, can you do things to easily make your dog's failings better? Can you put down throw rugs so the floors dont cause an issue/pain? or does it require a major surgery on a old dog? If the dog has to go through a ton to continue, then were doing it for us, not them, and it's time.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Woke up to my (sick for a while at that point but still goin at a good clip) husky bloated, in pain and nearly immobile one morning. Her kidneys had failed and she couldnt stand to be touched when I went to take her in to put her down. I called around for a while and found a vet I still thank to this day (10 years later) who was willing to put his license on the line on a day off, meet me on the side of the highway and give me morphine to put her down at home so I wouldnt have to transport her. It felt right to do it myself and I was glad to not have to add to her pain by carrying her and driving.

OP I look at it like, can you do things to easily make your dog's failings better? Can you put down throw rugs so the floors dont cause an issue/pain? or does it require a major surgery on a old dog? If the dog has to go through a ton to continue, then were doing it for us, not them, and it's time.

At 14 years old, there isn’t much we can do that will help him, outside of pain management. Our floors are all wood and tile, so throw rugs don’t really help matters. He isn’t to the point yet where he can’t move around, and his appetite is still there - he is still the same dog on the inside, but his body is slowly failing. I appreciate the kind words and advice. Yes, losing a dog sucks, but when the time comes I hope I can make the choice earlier rather than later.

We're all different and so are our beloved dogs. The hardest thing to do is know when you're in the window.....the period where you've done all you can and your dog is no longer enjoying life. Given the heartache and misery which goes along with tending to a dying dog, it seems almost absurd to ask an owner to make good, logical and objective decisions about ending a life. Nevertheless, that's exactly what must happen.

Personally, I'd rather know I waited a bit too long versus taking a life too early. Hopefully I can see the window and do it at the correct time. There is no 'right' time....this never feels right or comfortable.

I've had dogs die naturally, and I've had them euthanized. Watching your best and most trusting buddy close their eyes for the last time is painful. For many, the pain is exponentially worse when death comes by their request. I gave up my finest friend last March and my heart still hurts more than I ever imagined it could,

ScottinPA

WKR
Kinda went thru this about 20yrs ago and it still sucks. Had a black lab I got while living at my parents. After college and getting married, he was more my dad's dog than mine. His hips started going and he wasn't himself. I stopped over one day to visit and saw were he had messed in the garage but tried to drag himself up behind the house where he was supposed to do his business. It was time. His quality of life was gone but still willing to do what he was supposed to do. Dad and I talked about it. I told him if he couldn't I would, it was only fair to Bandit. Dad had him put down the next day. Really sucked.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through this two weeks ago with my best working dog. He’s been struggling to move around for quite some time now, and starting to struggle to keep weight on. Last winter was really hard on him even though he stayed in the house pretty much all day on his bed. I would get little glimpses here and there of his old self but he wasn’t the same dog he had been. He worked his whole life and couldn’t anymore and I could tell it was frustrating him. Had a few issues with him fighting with the other dogs and I knew he was in pain. Having a two year old in the house kind of forced my hand. She helps with dogs and chores and it was getting concerning that she may touch him wrong and he could lash out. He’s never bit anyone or even been slightly aggressive towards anyone, but a dog in pain can be unpredictable.

My advice to you is follow your gut. I wondered if I may get another six months to a year with him, but for what reason. He wasn’t happy not going to work and wasn’t happy just being at the house. His quality of life was pretty well diminished. It was very peaceful and respectful being there when they put him down. It hurt, but at the same time he didn’t suffer anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice to anyone who has dogs is to not let the dog suffer because you cant let go...........I see it all the time.

We had to put down our lab about 6 months ago. She was 13.5 and had been going through basically the same as yours. Several different joint meds, pain meds, etc. She was always happy though. Met you at the top of the stairs, tail wagging, begging for attention, licking and loving on our kids. Then one afternoon she refused to get up. The joy in her eyes was gone and we knew it was time. Did we wait to long, maybe. But she never got aggressive, just less joyful than before.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Shrek

WKR
Take this for what it's worth, i have had a kennel full of hounds for 23 of my 43 years. So I been there. Usually by the time your thinking about it is well past time.
This is my experience also. If you’re considering it it’s probably been time for awhile and you’re holding on for selfish reasons. Understandable reasons , letting go and suffering the pain of the loss of your great friend.

Whisky

WKR
I have a 13.5 yr old lab and I know what's coming. I have been thinking about it, and it actually kept me up last night, how best to handle it.... He hates the vet, he hates the floors in that place, and the smells. He just knows something isn't right when he's there. Part of me doesn't want to bring him in there because he won't be at peace. So I wonder if I can do it my self?? Has anybody done this and regretted it? I feel like it would be easier on him, and I'm not sure how I would take it. I almost feel like it's my duty to take care of it. But I feel like it could be brutal at the same time. I like the idea of more privacy, just him and I.

WCB

WKR
I have a 13.5 yr old lab and I know what's coming. I have been thinking about it, and it actually kept me up last night, how best to handle it.... He hates the vet, he hates the floors in that place, and the smells. He just knows something isn't right when he's there. Part of me doesn't want to bring him in there because he won't be at peace. So I wonder if I can do it my self?? Has anybody done this and regretted it? I feel like it would be easier on him, and I'm not sure how I would take it. I almost feel like it's my duty to take care of it. But I feel like it could be brutal at the same time. I like the idea of more privacy, just him and I.

Luckily my dog didn't mind the vet and they have a separate room used just for this reason set up looking like a living room. I brought his blanket and obviously I held him when the time came. Our vet was really good about it. It took about a minute once the shot was given then the vet just quietly left us to be alone.

However, I believe a lot of vets will come to your home and do it if requested. I would call your vet and see if they will do it or if they can recommend someone. I personally wouldn't want to physically do it myself.