When to put a dog down?

Whisky

WKR
I live in the boonies and my vet won't come out. There is another vet they told me to check with that does more on site livestock stuff, and thought maybe they would entertain the idea. If that was a viable option I would go that route for sure, but I haven't made the call yet.

I have a 13.5 yr old lab and I know what's coming. I have been thinking about it, and it actually kept me up last night, how best to handle it.... He hates the vet, he hates the floors in that place, and the smells. He just knows something isn't right when he's there. Part of me doesn't want to bring him in there because he won't be at peace. So I wonder if I can do it my self?? Has anybody done this and regretted it? I feel like it would be easier on him, and I'm not sure how I would take it. I almost feel like it's my duty to take care of it. But I feel like it could be brutal at the same time. I like the idea of more privacy, just him and I.

I paid for the vet to come to my in-law's house and we did it on the front porch. That was a year ago tomorrow. I got pretty bummed today when I realized the anniversary.

Anyway, I 100% will pay extra to do that again with my other dog. Just seems more respectful, they both have earned it. It was pretty cathartic to spend some time with him after he was gone, and dig the hole with the cool breeze drying my face.

For your sake I think it'd be worth it to drive to some town that has a vet that will support a wish like this, meet him in the country somewhere with a view, and then just drive him home to his final resting place.

elkduds

WKR
If possible, have it done @ home. Much better for the dog and his family. My last 4 passed that way, much more peaceful.

manitou1

WKR
I agree with getting it done at home or not in a vets office. I have never had a dog that didn't stress at the vet. The sights, sounds and smells must be horrible for them. I shot my 13 year old great dane Daisy in the head last summer. She went down, was extremely labored in repirations and bleeding from the mouth... suffocating. She would have passed within minutes if left be, but she was in great duress. The only compassionate thing I could think of at the time. It was brutal. She died instantly, but it was very tough. I cried like a baby. Heck, I cry like a baby every time we have one put down (three now). They are truly gifts from Heaven IMO and like stated by a poster above, it hurts more than saying "goodbye" to many people.

LostArra

WKR
A friend/vet told me the most difficult part of being a responsible dog owner is not the food decisions, the training, the regular exercise, the puppy-chewed shoes or cleaning up their accidents in the house. It's accepting the fact our dogs will not out live us and we are responsible for not only their living but their dying.

The day I had to put down my coonhound she was begging me to end her misery but I was still a sobbing mess. Fortunately she loved going to the vet but I was still a wreck.

As doc88 stated above, if a dog won't eat or the ability to ambulate is suffering then it's probably time.

It sounds like your dog is dealing with arthritis of the hips and potentially a degenerative nervous system disorder called Degenerative Mylopathy.

There are adjunct medications such as Gabapentin that can help for additional pain relief with the above disorder.

Think of 3 to 4 things that makes your dog "your dog", including eating. When he is no longer able to eat or do the things he enjoys doing, it is time.

Another way to look at it is if the number of bad days in a week outnumber the good days. Then, it's time.

Check with your veterinarian about other adjunct medications given your dog's situation.

Coldtrail

WKR
I've raised hunting dogs for years, had them die young and unexpectedly, had them die old & of natural causes, but having to make the decision to put down a loyal old dog is always the toughest. As many have already said, as owners we tend to wait too long, very rarely if ever, does a caring dog owner put a dog down too soon. I can tell you watching them "die on their own" at home or in their kennel in the middle of the night is tougher to live with.

My last one was 14, still in good shape & hunted fine with pups 3 weeks before I put him down, a little thin but mobility was fine. Ended up with a terrible infection that travelled into his eyes and brain and could only be fixed (maybe) with surgery. Gave him one last good week at home & he could hardly eat so finally pulled myself together enough to make the trip. I show up and the receptionist is crying already, and the vet loses it while putting in the needle because my buddy who has been there tons of times for other stuff is wagging his tail.....tough day, but still was the right decision. Still have his sister, and pretty much any day will need to make the trip, I think you need to set a line in the Sand with issues you are willing to deal with, for me it's eating, mobility, and old dog anxiety, once I see one or more of those going downhill I need to get serious.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I think it’s time... he has defecated in his bed the last 4 days in a row without even budging. When I look at him standing and trying to get up or down, it is painful to watch. Tonight he showed no interest in food. I think he’s in the last stretch. I feel bad that we have to keep him outside, but we have no choice. He defecates at any time, in any place.BCE06557-02CE-4933-93C5-19E22DEBFF13.jpeg

robtattoo

WKR
I'm so sorry brother. I've had dogs for years & I've only ever had to make the decision once. It seemed like the right thing to do, right up until the vet gave me 5 minutes to say goodbye. I have honestly never cried so hard. I work with dogs, 7 days a week & have done for the last 11 years. I've had to make the decision for some of my customers. I've had dogs die in my arms.
I knew that it was the right decision. I knew it. Barley, the Greyhound, Germen Shepherd cross who travelled to Tennessee with me from England. She never once chewed, pooped or peed inside. She never once visited the vet, never ran away (unless she saw a rabbit, but if she did, by God she'd come home with it...) But finally age, arthritis & incontinence caught up with her. She was the best dog you could ever know & I truly miss her every day, but it was the right decision. I know it sounds silly, but at the end, (sorry. Crying) she looked at me with love & Gratitude. She licked my nose & then just wasnt there anymore.

16Bore

WKR
I’d grab a sleeping bag, sleep outside with that old fella, spoil him with some gravy.

Then make the appointment.

The longer you wait the more you’ll regret putting it off.

Sorry to say.

JMDavies

WKR
First off, I'm sorry. I've had to put down a number of our dogs over the years and just put down our favorite horse last Sunday. For me, it helps to remember that all of the good times well outweigh the bad. Hang in there.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
I feel for you, hardest thing I've had to do. April 21st will be three years and I still get choked up time to time. It gets easier as the months go by, but it won't go away. You owe it to him to not let him suffer. Spend a good last day or two with him, spoil him, sleep with him and tell him how much you love him. Google "I loved you best" it's a wonderful poem.

I’m so sorry. I just had to put down my bloodhound right after valentines and I bawled like a baby. I still get heart aches thinking about him, especially right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lukem

WKR
Sorry to hear that, but as hard as it all is, you're right it's time. I went through this with my shorthair in early January and have tears just reading this all. When it's time, it's time and the pain is unavoidable for us no matter when, the best we can do for our friend is to minimize their pain and not drag it out. I feel for you.

Four years next month since I lost my previous dog. Still miss her. It breaks my heart to think about those last days and the misery she was in. It killed me watching her slip away in my arms but looking back, it’s wondering if I should have done it sooner for her sake that eats at me.

SoDaky

WKR
Brutal.Can't stand to read all the above it's so brutal.I spend an entire day with them doing things they enjoy being near or hearing or ...Lotsa time touching n talking.Then have the Vet come out.
Man brutal!Hang in there but do it.