when would you use 8x42 binos?

NoWiser

WKR
I started with 8X for out west and Midwest whitetails. After constantly hearing that I needed 10x, I switched. I almost immediately regretted my decision. Sold the 10x and am now back to 8X. Easier to hold steady, and a better fov. There’s nothing to see with 10x that I won’t see with my 8X and if I need a closer look, I’ve got a spotter. The quality of the binos will trump the power every time.

I started with 8X for out west and Midwest whitetails. After constantly hearing that I needed 10x, I switched. I almost immediately regretted my decision. Sold the 10x and am now back to 8X. Easier to hold steady, and a better fov. There’s nothing to see with 10x that I won’t see with my 8X and if I need a closer look, I’ve got a spotter. The quality of the binos will trump the power every time.
I couldn't agree more.

Smaller magnification does not always translate to a significantly larger FOV. My Vortex Vipers 8s have a FOV of 409'. My Swaro SLC 10s have a FOV of 408'. That 1' equates to an impressive 0.25% larger field of view.

At the end of the day buy the magnification that covers the bulk of your hunting scenarios.

If i know I'm glassing great distances or 1000 +? No way all I'm taking is an 8x bino. I carried 10x42's for years for my mule deer hunts. I've bumped that up to 15x for this year. The 10 X's just couldn't pick bedded animals out at distance. Trying to ambush open country mule deer during the rut is next to impossible because their movements are so unpredictable.

I have 8x Leica Trinovid, 9x45 Maven B2, 10x42 Zeiss Victory among others. Like 8x for forest hunting, and feel I can get a bit more resolution from 10x for western and mountain hunting. Personally, don’t feel 12x offer any advantage over a 10x as a hand held glass as most cannot hold them steady enough to fully absorb the image. Agree with others here that optical quality matters more than magnification. Also, ergonomics and handling are a huge factor in whether and how often folks will tote and use the glass. My Zeiss 10x42 FL T* are optically superb and feel great in the hand. Just love how they balance and how easy they carry — they are with me on every mountain hunt. My Maven 9x45 are optically great but are big and heavy— mostly use them out of the truck.

I use 8x32's for everything. West Coast / East Coast doesn't matter. once I start walking around everything else gets left in the truck, Always figured if I can't tell if it is a legal bull, buck or whatever with 8x, it was not worth pursuing. I also did not like the 10-12 x stuff and honestly my spotter, if its used at all, its done from the truck.

amassi

WKR
Another 8x42 user here,when solo I leave the big eyes and use 18x riflescope for the gap for verification purposes.
When hunting with a partner will normally carry 15-18x binos and a 12-40 spotter between the group.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
Blaw

Blaw

WKR
I actually went out today, glassed up 2 moose at 700 yrds using my 10x42 diamond backs, tested my rifle scope at 8 10 and 12 magnification........basically with the scope at all those intervals as well as my binos, it still needed more magnification. I could tell one was a bull but was really guessing at the size of paddles.

That being said I will be bringing my spotter from now on. AND Ill be getting the 8x most likely....when in the dark timber, or looking down a slope trying to see if anything is below you bedded I think the 8x will actually be super useful.

Great info everyone thanks!

Don’t know your budget but at those distances at least 10 power would be better. That’s what I use for sheep and goat hunts. I was recently shopping for a new spotter and came across the Nikon Monarch HGs and was simply blown away by the razor sharp and flat edge to edge image, depth of field, and FOV — all for about $1k. Pretty sweet deal.

There was a recent review here on Rokslide.

I just looked through a pair of these earlier today, and they kicked ass compared to the Vortex Razor 10x42’s I looked through as well.

JBenz63

FNG
Yeah I would say 8x are king for chest Binos. I live in AZ and love 8s for quick glassing while covering country, 15s for long periods of glassing, and a 80mm spotter to make sure it’s worth getting off my fat a$$ to hike that 2 miles. I wish swaro made something like the Lieca Geovid 8-12x42 or I had robotic eyes( that would be the most ideal)