Which broadhead are you guys using?

Several people have said something to the effect that zwickey’s have killed more animals than whatever. My question is, do you think that animals have been lost due to being broken/ bent/ performance failure, whereas a more expensive/ better built broadhead would’ve killed done the job?
Nope

IMO, Much of the claims of ‘BH Fails’ on archery forums is just plain bad shot placement.

An example; Many years ago I shot a big black bear that turned toward me as I was letting the shot go…the arrow hit him square on the heavy part of the front shoulder penetrating maybe 2” then falling out. That was a first for me in well over 200 critters I’ve shot with an arrow.

Some would argue that an 800g arrow with a tempered steel 2 blade would have penetrated that big bear. Maybe…but then using a stupid heavy arrow like that on all my hunts would have resulted in many more poor shot placements and worse- misses.

I’ve tested a whole range of arrows, BHs and arrow weights and my conclusion; trajectory and accuracy matters- a lot.

The saving grace; Slap a 2 blade BH on ANY arrow with good arrow flight and its a penetrating monster

I've shot more than a few animals with Zwickey Eskimo's. Mostly glue on heads on cedar arrows. I had good success with them. I now like single bevel broadheads but i am not sure if they are really that much better or if it is in my head. Mostly I my broadheads to be sharp, hit where im looking and tough enough to do the job.

My preferred broadhead is the Eclipse 145 with bleeder, makes it 153+/-, I take the bleeders out for moose. Any well made broadhead will get it done, if it fly‘s good.
My belief: Most people would be better off spending the time spend worrying about their broadhead, practicing putting the arrow where it needs to go.
Hopefully you have a bunch of them. I don’t think the 4-blade Eclipse has been made in many years. (Or, tell me where to buy them!)

I just started hunting with a recurve and went with a tuffhead. Was really tempted to stick with regular old muzzys for a while but decided to go with something heavier. I'm anxious to see how they perform.

I just switched to QAD Exodus heads. And yes, I know I'm in the trad forum. They're a solid design, and the tip can be sharpened up as well as the blades. I like them because they're quiet in flight, a solid 1 1/4" 3 blade, and come in 125 gr

Back