which is the better phone for hunters?

pirogue

WKR
I chose the IPhone 15 ProMax because of the enhanced camera features. it has a 5X optical zoom as opposed to the 3X of the iPhone Pro. The phone size is not that much larger, and is actually smaller than the 12 ProMax my wife has. It takes some nice pics.

Idaboy

WKR
If you have an old smartphone, take that as a back up....I have iphone, battery life is better than my prior Samsung galaxy..BUT, I still can use the Samsung (no longer has activated SIM card) but I can keep my OnX sync's on it, and on my home wifi can keep it updated etc, and it's just a few ounces....so I run my iPhone (in airplane mode) and then have my Samsung as a great backup. I pretty assume no network cell coverage and then use a mini garmin in reach for text family.

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
Why can’t you use a standard lightning cord? I use my 14 off my power bank with a standard USB lightning cord.
Perhaps I can, I’m just not up on the latest tech. Is you cord USB C on one end and standard USB on the other?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ended up with another Iphone, 15Pro. I just couldn't beat the deal. The only real problem now is figuring out charging while in the backcountry off of my power bank. Seams the new cord will not USB C will not charge from my Anker when using an adapter. If I use an adapter and the magnetic charger it works fine, I'm just not thrilled with packing more weight.
Interesting. Does your power bank have standard USB or the small USBc ports? Might help to get a cord that is usb-c to the phone and what ever direct connection to your charging port.

MattB

WKR
Reception should be identical to anything from the same provider. One catch is if you live where they are upgrading the network. I have had 5g turned off for two years because it’s just not optimized yet causing lots of issues. Not sure if you can turn that off on the android phones. I did have an android from work that was on the same provider as my personal phone, slightly better texting with my iPhone when in poor coverage.
I had a Samsung 8 (?) and got and iPhone mini12, both on Verizon, and the Samsung was by far the better phone. There is a stretch of highways I used to be able to hold calls on that is a dead zone with iPhone.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a Samsung 8 (?) and got and iPhone mini12, both on Verizon, and the Samsung was by far the better phone. There is a stretch of highways I used to be able to hold calls on that is a dead zone with iPhone.
Yes that is an exception with the tiny phones as they often need a smaller antenna.

rootacres

WKR
The iPhone 12 Pros had .5x, 1x and 3x cameras on them. The new 15 pro has .5x, 1x, 2x, and 5x cameras. The quality of the pics and vids are awesome. I find myself videoing from a treestand often. The 5x is nice for that.

I can’t speak to the others as I’ve only owned iPhones but the cameras on the newer ones are awesome. ONX is slick. I imagine the ONX app is basically identical across all platforms. The zoleo app works great too.

Also FWIW, the iPhone 15 pros, along with a bunch of the other phones run off USB-C cords. So in terms of power banks / portable power. You don’t need a stand alone lightning cable for iPhone anymore.

rootacres

WKR
Wrong. The IPhone 15 Pro does not have 5X optical zoom. The iPhone 15 Pro Max does.
Easy there sparky, I stand corrected. Evidentially the Pro max and Pros in the iPhone 15 have different cameras.

Last edited:
I'm far from phone savvy. I use hand me down cell phones. I've had everything from droids to apples, Moto's, Samsung's, etc. I'm currently using an apple X something or another. I've been doing a little GPS/Garmin research as I want to add a means to call/text for help in areas that don't have cell service. I've been told the 14 and newer fruit phones have satellite communication capabilities. If that is so, I'd definitely consider them. I'd like to hear and learn more about this from others.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm far from phone savvy. I use hand me down cell phones. I've had everything from droids to apples, Moto's, Samsung's, etc. I'm currently using an apple X something or another. I've been doing a little GPS/Garmin research as I want to add a means to call/text for help in areas that don't have cell service. I've been told the 14 and newer fruit phones have satellite communication capabilities. If that is so, I'd definitely consider them. I'd like to hear and learn more about this from others.
Yes but it’s just one way communication to emergency services only. Definitely better than nothing even if it doesn’t replace an inreach or similar.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Been using an Android phone with Caltopo GPS app for years in all kinds of weather with great success.
Currently running the new Samsung S23 Ultra and love the large screen for GPS navigation and its camera is so far the best Ive had from any cell phone. I estimate I can go maybe a couple of days use before charging but I always top it off in camp.

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
OnX runs great on my Galaxy S22plus. It also works great on my son's Iphone. His phone is now about 3 years old and he's having battery life issues so he's going to upgrade soon. I ran my last Galaxy for six years and was still going strong but the charging port started having issues so I got this one. In short, get what you like. They all work and it's mostly personal preference.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Hey there! When it comes to phones for hunting, it really depends on what features you prioritize. Personally, I've found that rugged, waterproof phones with long battery life are great for outdoor adventures.

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
I think either Apple or Samsung works fine as far as apps and camera. I would say though that Apple has the advantage for phone mount solutions for phonescoping.

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
I broke my old phone last fall. Got the newest Samsung, I'm not even sure what model but I was absolutely amazed at the camera. Crazy 100x zoom and you can take some damn good wildlife pics. Not like award winning pics but to my ignorant eyes they are pretty sweet.