New Phone Time

tony

WKR
Running an iphone 8 plus and its getting long in the tooth.
Family is all iphone so thats the way I should probably go. Android is calling me again though. I'm not one to buy a phone or electronics yearly as evidenced above.
I'm fairly gadget savy but I'm torn which platform to go with. Samsung is offering a 1st responder/medical discount, free upgrade to a 512 from 256, their care plan is $100.00 for a year.

Apple is giving nothing except a $100.00 for my old phone.
Android is a 512 vs 256 iphone for the same price.
I'd have to bump my text plan to unlimited though, so thats an added cost.

I'm not brand loyal and will be replacing my 2015 macbook air with a windows based machine soon as well.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just my opinion here but I’ve never had an android that didn’t frustrate me. I’ve also never been satisfied with Mac computer.

ODB

WKR
I just replaced the battery in my iPhone 8 for 51$. What is so long in the tooth about an 8?

Last time my wife and I needed new phones, we bought unlocked refurbished/renewed 2-3 year old models from Amazon. $340 for her iPhone XR, $175 for my Galaxy S10, both are still working fine 2 years later. Just another option to consider if you don't want to drop $1000+ on a new phone.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Just my opinion here but I’ve never had an android that didn’t frustrate me. I’ve also never been satisfied with Mac computer.
Funny how people have different experiences with certain items. I love my android, the same with my Mac. Different stroke for different folks, so they say. I think it's what you are use to. To be fair, all tech. devices frustrate me.

digger

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from AT&T 10 minutes ago,,,, my wife traded in her 8 plus on a new 14. She got350 trade in and our 4 phone plan went to unlimited talk/ text/data and the monthly went down $4.80 . I paid cash for the tax and fees of $160

sneaky

"DADDY"
iPhone 14 has satellite sos. If you’re on the fence about needing garmin inreach or not, it’s a nice bit of piece of mind.

I just read an article about how the SOS feature on the new 14 has been false reporting crashes. Especially during hiking and skiing events. 95% of the calls were false alarms. They were recommending turning off the self reporting feature and they were also going to start testing a text back program because people were not answering call backs from the 911 system so they were having to dispatch first responders to track these people down to verify. Sounded like they were just hanging up when 911 called back. They said the response rate is higher to texts. Go figure. No one wants to talk on the phone anymore.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
I got an iPhone because my wife and daughter have them. I miss my Samsung/Android so badly.

DuckDogDr

WKR
I recently upgraded to an IPhone 13…. I hate it. Worst $1.2k I’ve spent .
Siri only works 50% of the time … and can never understand what I want. People can only hear every other word talking to me. It hates my Toyota truck
I would highly encourage Android

Been happy with my Google Pixel phone for the past two years. Although I know other phones surely have better cameras, but it's fine for my needs, it just wasn't a factor in my choice.

I've been super happy with my galaxy s21 ultra the camera is amazing (I'm sure the new iPhone are great as well) the problem I have is everyone has an iPhone and when they send pictures 95% of the time the come across looming like an old nextel flip phone

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
T

tony

WKR
Stopped by an ATT to fondle the phones, girl pulled up my account and shes like "oh, your government? (1st responder). You need to look at our first net program".
Like $50.00 a month for unlimited everything and a hot spot, so I'm researching that now.

I'll probably end up with a new phone as its my camera nowadays as well.
Siri - never talk to her.
Carplay is hit or miss in my ranger, not sure if its a phone thing or a ford thing?
Apples SOS program I don't know much about, is as reliable as an in reach type device?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stopped by an ATT to fondle the phones, girl pulled up my account and shes like "oh, your government? (1st responder). You need to look at our first net program".
Like $50.00 a month for unlimited everything and a hot spot, so I'm researching that now.

I'll probably end up with a new phone as its my camera nowadays as well.
Siri - never talk to her.
Carplay is hit or miss in my ranger, not sure if its a phone thing or a ford thing?
Apples SOS program I don't know much about, is as reliable as an in reach type device?
Car play is great but I had a few flukes when my ford didn’t recognize there was something plugged in.
SOS function, eh it’s better than nothing but far from replacing an inreach
I’ve never talked to Siri either

I just replaced the battery in my iPhone 8 for 51$. What is so long in the tooth about an 8?

I think I’m gonna do this with my iPhone 10. Did you replace the battery? Or did you have to take it to an Apple Store or just an AT&T dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
I think I’m gonna do this with my iPhone 10. Did you replace the battery? Or did you have to take it to an Apple Store or just an AT&T dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to the Apple store - 35 minutes - easy peasy. This the second time I have replaced a battery in an iphone. The other is a 6S Plus and it is still working perfect after the battery replacement.

I'm cheap as hell man...

jimh406

WKR
I was an Android user since they came on the market. My last Android was a Samsung Note 10. It was a good phone until wireless charging stopped. The USB-C port was problematic. I had to keep buying new cables. Fwiw, I thought that was fixed with Micro-USB ... nope. At least, Samsung didn't have it worked out with a Note 10. I finally had enough.

I bought a iPhone 14 Pro Max this time. I can't say I like the UI, but I don't use that many apps. What's cool about the SOS feature is that it uses Satellites. I thought that was a very useful feature if I ever need it. Of course, the apps on the iPhone are always solid which you should expect considering how standard their UI is. That's not the case with Android. There are lots of resolutions which makes scaling off at times. Also, battery life still seems better on they iPhone.

Windows has had a string of issues with updates that killed the computers. Windows based hardware also seems to have more issues than Macs. Also, last I checked there are no Windows based computers that can match the battery life/power of a M1 or M2 chip.

The Apple integration between iPhone, iPad, and Mac is hard to beat. Things that have to be "setup" on a Windows/Android set of machines, just works in the Apple ecosystem.

Fwiw, my brother recently updated his iPhone 7 to a 14. I don't know of anyone who got that amount of life out of an Android. So, iPhones cost a lot, so do flagship Androids, but the durability seems to be way in Apples favor. Similarly, the iPad and Macs seem to last longer than their counterparts.

YMMV.

Rob5589

WKR
Recently went to the Pixel Pro 7, primarily for it's camera which is highly rated. And it does take a very nice picture. My wife and daughter are Apple users and both frequently frustrated with their phones.

MJB

WKR
Pixel 7 pro, after AI learns your habits it's great

I have to use an iPhone for work and it sucks so badly I hate to use it!