Which Mystery Ranch Guide Light MT Pack?

EmperorMA

WKR
I really like Mystery Ranch's new Guide Light MT belt. I am going to buy a pack that will be used 80% of the time for 2-3 day backpacking trips for fly fishing, 15% as a rifle-hunting day pack that will hopefully be required to haul out deer and/or elk meat and 5% for maybe a 4-day backpacking trip.

So, it will be a regular long-weekend backpacking pack mostly, and will need to haul meat on occasion. I am truly stuck on which of these new Guide Light MT Frame packs to get: Beartooth 80, Selway 60 or Sawtooth 45.

I know the Beartooth 80 is more than I need but if it compresses down small enough for day hunts then it may be the best bet.

I like the Selway 60's size but it lacks organizational ability which would certainly be missed on weekend fly-fishing trips.

I love the organizational aspect of the Sawtooth 45 but am afraid it may be too small for 3-4 day backpacking (non-hunting) trips.

What do you folks who use Mystery Ranch Overload packs for general backpacking think would be the best choice? Will the Beartooth 80 cinch down well-enough for day hunts? Will the Selway 60 be OK without extra pockets? Will the Sawtooth 45 carry enough on the Overload shelf to make it a viable 4-day backpacking pack that works well for 2-3 day trips?

Again, this pack will not be used for multi-day hunting trips. Maybe an overnighter, but I know all three can handle that. I am mainly concerned with day hunting and weekend backpacking. My gear is modern and lightweight backpacking gear that doesn't take up a ton of space. I do carry the shared gear, though, as I am stronger than I am smart. Thanks!

Last edited:

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
I know 1st hand that the Marshall can work just fine for day hunting, it’s about the same size as the beartooth 80.
But if you’re not going to be doing much overnight I’d get the sawtooth and use the overload shelf to haul in camp when you need to. You’ll save some pack weight, which is always a good thing.
If you can wait till 2020, all the MR packs will use the GLMT frame.

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
^^^ Thanks. ^^^

I believe the Sawtooth or Pintler would be absolutely ideal for my hunting needs. However, I’m just not sure either are big enough to hold my fly fishing gear for 3-4 days, which will take far more days of the pack’s use.

I want the new frame & belt and I need to have this pack to use this summer so it has to be between the Beartooth 80, Selway 60 and Sawtooth 45.

I think I could just get the Selway and be done with it.

I’m also thinking I could get a Beartooth now and add a Pintler or Sawtooth bag later, as Mystery Ranch is almost certain to offer at least one of those as a bag-only option in the next year or so. I can compress the Sawtooth 80 (the Marshall has a 105L capacity) for my hunts next fall and see how it works out.

Another goal was to decrease my pack capacity, as I just don’t want to carry a 105L pack anymore so I sold it.

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
I also have the Marshall and have used it as a day pack just fine. You can get it to cinch down pretty good.

If you're questioning if the Selway and Sawtooth are going to be big enough, I would just go with the Beartooth and search for a smaller bag later once you have a better idea of what you'll need. Mystery Ranch already sells the Pintler as a bag only option. If you don't mind a used bag you should be able to find a good deal on someone selling just the bag as well

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
I also have the Marshall and have used it as a day pack just fine. You can get it to cinch down pretty good.

If you're questioning if the Selway and Sawtooth are going to be big enough, I would just go with the Beartooth and search for a smaller bag later once you have a better idea of what you'll need. Mystery Ranch already sells the Pintler as a bag only option. If you don't mind a used bag you should be able to find a good deal on someone selling just the bag as well
Good idea.

I think my main problem stems from the fact that the bag I really want is the Sawtooth, but I’m afraid that it won’t be big enough for 3-4 day fly fishing trips. I seriously doubt they’ll offer it as a bag-only option, either, so buying a larger pack in the hopes of adding it later isn’t an option. And buying a Sawtooth with the option of adding a bigger bag like the Metcalf or Beartooth later won’t be possible with Mystery Ranch’s policy of not offering larger bags as bag-only products.

I’m pretty sure the Selway will work just fine for the fly fishing trips. I might have to throw a tent or a 20L dry bag on the meat shelf on occasion, but it’ll work.

Tough choice. If I get a Beartooth, I know I’ll never need more capacity and I’ll never need to deploy the overload shelf for the summer backpacking trips. It’ll hold my fly fishing kit and five days of gear and food no problem. I can get a Pintler bag-only for hunting and be rather happy.

I just wish someone with a Pintler would pipe up and say if he/she feels that pack would handle the fly fishing trips utilizing the Overload shelf. If so, I’ll snap up a Sawtooth as soon as they are available.

i have all the packs you mentioned and I am very much looking forward to getting my new beartooth 80. The pintler or selway is not big enough for me to do multi day trips without using the overload shelf and I really dont like using that as a method for carrying gear in. The metcalf is the smallest pack i would use for multi day trips. The marshal is big and complicated and kind of overwhelming. the beartooth seems to answer many of the problems i have with the marshal. I really like the size of the metcalf but i hate the access problems. again the beartooth answers some of those problems. My pintler is my go to day pack. I have a feeling the new pack will be my goto longer trip pack. my marshall and metcalfs may be for sale :)

ID_Matt

WKR
I am considering switching from my Metcalf to one of the newer models. I am sort of in the same predicament. I am 50/50 backback hunts to day hunts. I will probably just get the beartooth but have considered getting the sawtooth and using a dry bag on the overload shelf for my over night stuff. Is there any draw backs to using the shelf like that? I always thought it would make for a pain in the butt when it is time to pack meat and I have to use the shelf for the camp items and meat.

I am considering switching from my Metcalf to one of the newer models. I am sort of in the same predicament. I am 50/50 backback hunts to day hunts. I will probably just get the beartooth but have considered getting the sawtooth and using a dry bag on the overload shelf for my over night stuff. Is there any draw backs to using the shelf like that? I always thought it would make for a pain in the butt when it is time to pack meat and I have to use the shelf for the camp items and meat.
lets be honest...how often would we really have the problem of having to worry about packing meat out? :)
the idea of using the meatshelf as a way to get gear/food in seems cool and I have done it in the summer when my gear needs were lighter. but i really did not like it. it moves a large portion of the weight you carry further away from your body and although the demonstrations always show some perfectly uniform bag place nicely on the shelf and it looks all neat and tidy in reality never works that way. It is nice once you are in and you can ditch the gear and use the bag you used on your overload to hang your food and then you have a nice small day pack.

come to think of it, I have never used my pintler to carry meat. I have always had my bigger packs. I know i would cope with it fine but when i have had to carry animals out i was glad i had my bigger pack with me.

BTW... MR said they should have inventory on the Beartooth in late april. so we have a couple more months to wait.

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
I would say 90% to 95% of my hunting is day hunting and the remaining backpacking. That may change in the future as my kids get older but for now that is the reality so I went with the pintler when I upgraded my pack this year. Any backpacking I do is for elk so I figure if I have to use the overload shelf for extra gear and I knock something down I will be making multiple trips anyway. I can take half my gear out with the first load of meat and the remaining stuff I had in the dry bag out with the second load. The remaining loads would be meat only. Not an issue at all in my opinion.

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
lets be honest...how often would we really have the problem of having to worry about packing meat out? :)
the idea of using the meatshelf as a way to get gear/food in seems cool and I have done it in the summer when my gear needs were lighter. but i really did not like it. it moves a large portion of the weight you carry further away from your body and although the demonstrations always show some perfectly uniform bag place nicely on the shelf and it looks all neat and tidy in reality never works that way. It is nice once you are in and you can ditch the gear and use the bag you used on your overload to hang your food and then you have a nice small day pack.
Outstanding post. This is exactly what I needed to know. Stuffing the Overload shelf on a smaller pack to supplement capacity is no bueno on non-hunting backpacking trips.

I am now down to Selway vs. Beartooth vs. Kifaru Woodsman/Reckoning/Hoodlum.

Good idea.

I think my main problem stems from the fact that the bag I really want is the Sawtooth, but I’m afraid that it won’t be big enough for 3-4 day fly fishing trips. I seriously doubt they’ll offer it as a bag-only option, either, so buying a larger pack in the hopes of adding it later isn’t an option. And buying a Sawtooth with the option of adding a bigger bag like the Metcalf or Beartooth later won’t be possible with Mystery Ranch’s policy of not offering larger bags as bag-only products.

I’m pretty sure the Selway will work just fine for the fly fishing trips. I might have to throw a tent or a 20L dry bag on the meat shelf on occasion, but it’ll work.

Tough choice. If I get a Beartooth, I know I’ll never need more capacity and I’ll never need to deploy the overload shelf for the summer backpacking trips. It’ll hold my fly fishing kit and five days of gear and food no problem. I can get a Pintler bag-only for hunting and be rather happy.

I just wish someone with a Pintler would pipe up and say if he/she feels that pack would handle the fly fishing trips utilizing the Overload shelf. If so, I’ll snap up a Sawtooth as soon as they are available.

Hey. Sorry man, just read this, I hadn’t been thinking of responding at all because I don’t have a guide light “MT”frame, so none of this might be worth much.

I flyfish. I like my “regular” guidelight pintler for it. I also use a terraplane for flyfishing trips, but dislike having wet stuff in the bag. the way I do things- the bag holds my layers, stove, bivy, tarp and smal stuff- and I use the overload shelf for wet waders and boots as well as food, this works well, as these are the heavy items and like a quarter I want them close to my body. Flyrods strap down like a rifle. I do not use a stuff sack for my layers or sleep system but smash them all into the bag so as to fill it rather than have all that empty space pulled tight by stuff sacks full of stuff.

When I am hunting, the overload shelf is reserved for food. Either food I bring in, or the food I’m packing out. I will not hunt with a load that extends to my shelf.

I have flyfished a lot in ak wyo co Id NC, Ga
with a long bow on a NICE frame using a stuff sack that wasn’t waterproof to hold boots and waders and strapping them down in it to the frame with the bag providing compression. The pintler is so much easier. If you pack like I do, I think the pintler or the selway will be great for you, and once you get the 3 zip you won’t want to go back. If you need to organaize more or put things all in different compartments etc- look at those new bags and see what you think- but you sound like a selway or pintler guy, most likely a pintler guy.

badb2c29ef70b41c73c90c1032f73cf3.jpg

Last edited:
Hey. Sorry man, just read this, I hadn’t been thinking of responding at all because I don’t have a guide light “MT”frame, so none of this might be worth much.

I flyfish. I like my “regular” guidelight pintler for it. I also use a terraplane for flyfishing trips, but dislike having wet stuff in the bag. the way I do things- the bag holds my layers, stove, bivy, tarp and smal stuff- and I use the overload shelf for wet waders and boots as well as food, this works well, as these are the heavy items and like a quarter I want them close to my body. Flyrods strap down like a rifle. I do not use a stuff sack for my layers or sleep system but smash them all into the bag so as to fill it rather than have all that empty space pulled tight by stuff sacks full of stuff.

with a long bow on a NICE frame using a stuff sack that wasn’t waterproof to hold boots and waders and strapping them down in it to the frame with the bag providing compression.

totally agree.. I love the overload shelf for carying my wading boots and waders when i have them.

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR

When I am hunting, the overload shelf is reserved for food. Either food I bring in, or the food I’m packing out. I will not hunt with a load that extends to my shelf.

with a long bow on a NICE frame using a stuff sack that wasn’t waterproof to hold boots and waders and strapping them down in it to the frame with the bag providing compression. The pintler is so much easier. If you pack like I do, I think the pintler or the selway will be great for you, and once you get the 3 zip you won’t want to go back. If you need to organaize more or put things all in different c etc- look at those new bags and see what you think- but you sound like a selway or pintler guy, most likely a pintler guy.

badb2c29ef70b41c73c90c1032f73cf3.jpg
I need a bit of room for backpacking as I carry the 3-person tent and food for the 2 or 3 person group when I’m going on a weekend fly fishing trip. For hunting, the Sawtooth or Pintler would be perfect.

I’m leaning toward the Selway at this point.

When I bring a tent I stuff it in the pack the same way I do my bivy when I have it, and strap the poles down on the outside like a fly rod or rifle. If you have to bring communal gear, which I understand as I do a fair few trips with my son each year the selway is defintely the better bet. The pintler is definitely not the Pack to support a group.

564d7288189ed1afb81aaa709e9d8663.jpg

ridgerunner22

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried it before with weight? I think MR packs are built really well but the second I switched from the Guide Lite frame to a Kifaru Hunting frame my back thanked me big time. The extra lumbar padding made a world of difference. Just something to think about I guess

OP
E

EmperorMA

WKR
Have you tried it before with weight? I think MR packs are built really well but the second I switched from the Guide Lite frame to a Kifaru Hunting frame my back thanked me big time. The extra lumbar padding made a world of difference. Just something to think about I guess
I have thought about it but the Kifaru packs are so heavy & expensive when most of my use will be general backpacking and not meat hauling. I simply do not need the extra weight for 200 trail miles a year with 35 lbs of weight vs. maybe 10 miles of meat hauling.

I'm thinking the Mystery Ranch Guide Light MT packs will all pack out one deer and maybe an elk per year just fine and also be really nice for 3-4 day fly fishing trips in the mountains.

I do think some of the Stone Glacier packs would be OK but they are so paired down that you have to spend a bunch more money to put on pockets that also add more weight.

Both EXO (K2 3500) and Seek Outside (Peregrine 3500) have some nice options that would seem to be GTG for fly fishing right out of the box and also have a meat shelf for the couple of hunting trips each year. I wish I had the opportunity to see these packs before making my final decision.

Last edited: