Which of the big 3 make the strongest towing truck?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
How so? They pull heavy shit all over the country every day. Thats what diesel trucks were built to do isn’t it?

I know there are a lot of posers who lift them, put wheels and tires on them and use them like a soccer mom. If a hotshot truck isn’t used how a diesel truck was meant to be used, I am going to have to rethink a lot of stuff.
No, I don't believe most diesel trucks were designed to be used like a semi-truck. They are designed and marketed to be used for hauling everything from boats, to campers, to equipment and things of that nature.

I would venture to guess that less than one percent of diesel pickups are used the way you do. I'm not saying you're wrong for doing what you do, just that there are a lot more people out there using diesel trucks for a lot of other things.

These are light duty trucks aimed at a consumer market.

I drive a 3/4 ton because a 1/2 ton won't do a number of the things I demand a truck do. And is certainly less comfortable doing some of the it will do.

Can't you at least get a medium duty truck, you know one that's built and sold for the commercial market, before you come play the condescending super trucker?
I obviously touched a nerve with the lifted soccer mom truck…my brother in law is also one of those as well. Lifted, wheels and tires, the only thing it hauls is his golf clubs. You must have some heavy golf clubs if a half ton can’t handle them.

I obviously touched a nerve with the lifted soccer mom truck…my brother in law is also one of those as well. Lifted, wheels and tires, the only thing it hauls is his golf clubs. You must have some heavy golf clubs if a half ton can’t handle them.
Cute guess.

Hundreds of aftermarket parts but stock height and wheels.

And it gets beat on plenty.

Marble

WKR
We buy 4 -5 F350s annually. All diesel. Very minimal issues.

We have test driven the Rams every year but they just haven't ridden as nice.

We typically drive them to 200k and sell them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jbrow327

FNG
We buy 4 -5 F350s annually. All diesel. Very minimal issues.

We have test driven the Rams every year but they just haven't ridden as nice.

We typically drive them to 200k and sell them.

Really zero issues in 200k miles or were you exaggerating a little?

Marble

WKR
Really zero issues in 200k miles or were you exaggerating a little?
Sorry, let me rephrase. Regular wear and tear type things would wear out. But major systems we haven't had an issue with. Such as DEF, engine, tranny, brakes, electrical. Nor have we had anything like when the 6.0 were out. That was a nightmare. Ford has done a good job with building trucks this last 11 years of trucks. The 6.7 has been a performer.

I'm not sure but I think the Cummins does edge it out in fuel economy and power? If it dies its not much.

A couple that had sun roofs had to have those replaced.

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
For some reason people take truck brands personally. I'm not sure why? I just went through this. The dodge seems to be cheaper than ford. I ditched my duramax for a ford with a 7.3 gas engine. I would never consider a ram gas engine. Realistically I don't need the expense of the diesel for my pulling needs. I know several people who have had problems with their newer duramax. Look around and buy whatever you think meets your needs best. No matter what you drive you can still post on rockslide .

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
For some reason people take truck brands personally. I'm not sure why? I just went through this. The dodge seems to be cheaper than ford. I ditched my duramax for a ford with a 7.3 gas engine. I would never consider a ram gas engine. Realistically I don't need the expense of the diesel for my pulling needs. I know several people who have had problems with their newer duramax. Look around and buy whatever you think meets your needs best. No matter what you drive you can still post on rockslide .
That's total BS. You have to like what I like.

😉

Since I don't have the bank roll for a 4wd semi, I'll stick to my light trucks that are 4wd. A little dew on a field and you won't get a road tractor out of there, that's why we overload a lot of these light duty trucks. They just can get in and out of places a medium or heavy duty can't. Fortunately the braking capacity has increased on these things tremendously in the past 15 or so years.

Fullfan

WKR
Owning 2 Duramaxed powered 3/4 ton’s and a 3/4 ton Cummins. All are less than 4 years old. The 6.7 Cummins pulls harder, but both Duramaxed powered trucks will run circles around the Cummins.

rayporter

WKR
i always tell people they are better off with a gasser if they dont pull a lot of heavy loads.
on the other hand i have seen many struggle with a gasser and the next thing they get is a diesel. you will generally figure out pretty quick if you need one.

All 3 have their positives, negatives, and can pull way more than 90% need to pull.

All three also have their issues. I have a 2016 F350 and had to completely replace my fuel system due to metal shavings in the system ($13k job THANKFULLY covered by warranty). Look up Bosh High Pressure Fuel Pump issues for the Fords which is a major weak point in the 6.7Ls.

2 months ago had to replace both lower and upper oil pans due to oil leaking and a shotty a$$ gasket. That cost me $7k because they had to remove the tranny and it's a huge job.

Some people get super lucky and never have any issues, some people have worse issues than mine.

A good friend had to replace his WHOLE engine on a 2014 F250 with only 34k miles. Since it was past the date warranty, he had to pay out of pocket $23k for a new engine and has also gone thru 2 turbos (1 warrantied, one not). I told him he just needs to light that thing on fire! It's the definition of a lemon.

Diesels are big trucks with big expense bills for everything and anything (including fuel)! I've done enough research that Chevy and Dodge also have their problem vehicles. ALL years and ALL models.

Other people's personal opinions don't mean $hit because they can have the exact same model, year, make, etc...and yours could be a lemon and theirs a gem....

It comes down to the individual truck, maintenance, use, and plain ol' good/bad luck.

Last edited:
Kind of a loaded question

I’m been driving diesel over 20 years now. Last 3 trucks have been ford but I drive randoms every month.

6.7 cummins, 6.7 PSD and Duramac are just the engines

Lot more to a haul truck then engine

Tranny ranking-
Allison
Torqueshift
What ever ram is using now(I like the rpm gear shift points better then ford but longivity it’s not a contest to the two above)

Engine-
6.7 PSD
Dura/6.7 Cummins tie

Braking(rotors, brake pads,)-
chevy
Ford/Ram tie

Suspension
Ford/Ram tie
GM(weak front end still)

Toeing technology(cameras, sensors etc)
Ford
RAM
GM(think updated 23 though fixed this)

Comfort-subjective
Ram
Ford
GM

Overall-
Ford
Gm
Ram(truck isn’t the same quality as the engine, that’s biggest issue with ram)

Has far as gas
7.2-ford
6.6 -GM
6.4 -Ram

I have had 3 - 3/4 ton dodge diesels. They have been a little like cat tractors in that there is a general weakness given the model and year. Most of my problems have related to transmission, transfer cases and axel seals. Each was an evolutionary problem as changes were made by the factory. I hate to type so I won't go into the details.

My last and current driver is a 2012 one ton 4x4. I finally have enough horsepower to pull loaded stock trailers over the passes at a reasonable rate and with adequate cooling during the summer. I'm at 186,000 miles with no problems.

I think all of them suffer from the improvement syndrome. That is everytime they improve something it reveals the next weakest link that must be upgraded. About every 3-5 models everything comes into balance and they work until some ding dong fixes things and we start over again. You know - like the government.

I have run all the models over the years and learned to hate each by company and models by year. I would marry my exwife before I would by an 80s Bronco again. Had two. Gives me nightmares to think about them.

Which engine, gas or diesel, has the best pulling power and reliability in your experience?
Any diesel 3/4 or 1 ton 2014 or newer are basically all created equal. towing controls are all integrated at this point. biggest differences are body style. the big 3 diesels all apply power a little different so you'll want to test drive each one.

i have a 15 duramax i bought from the factory through my dealer and i have 130k miles. ive driven all 3 brands in diesel. Ford probably has the best no payload mpg, FULLY LOADED chevy probably wins in the mpgs.

trucks sub 8 years old and newer are in a different class from older trucks. there is no comparison between them in terms of capability

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
This thread is about reliably pulling heavy loads. Of the “big 3”, in my experience, using all three hauling at max capacity for at least 100K per truck; the Cummins motor paired with the available Aisin transmission is the new “best”.

From 2014 and before, the Duramax and Allison combo served us very well and was the most reliable combo. 2015+ works if you don’t haul heavy often. If you haul heavy you WILL have issues. They aren’t built for it anymore. Transmission is great. That’s it.

2016+ Fords have proven to be very reliable in friends rigs, all hauling at max capacity for 95+% of their miles. My experience is only with one 2018 F450 and it has been fantastic for 145K miles so far. All hauling miles.

OP
J

Jbrow327

FNG
This thread is about reliably pulling heavy loads. Of the “big 3”, in my experience, using all three hauling at max capacity for at least 100K per truck; the Cummins motor paired with the available Aisin transmission is the new “best”.

From 2014 and before, the Duramax and Allison combo served us very well and was the most reliable combo. 2015+ works if you don’t haul heavy often. If you haul heavy you WILL have issues. They aren’t built for it anymore. Transmission is great. That’s it.

2016+ Fords have proven to be very reliable in friends rigs, all hauling at max capacity for 95+% of their miles. My experience is only with one 2018 F450 and it has been fantastic for 145K miles so far. All hauling miles.
Thanks. Are you a hotshot driver?

You tube has a channel that tests all the new trucks pulling the back side of Loveland pass west of Denver. It’s a nine mile pull. To date, in 3/4 tons there is nothing remotely close to the ford 250 diesel. It beats the nearest competition by about three minutes. In the ton trucks, the Cummins is king. Gas, the fords rule both weight classes.

j33

WKR
For new trucks I’d say Ford has the best package. Earlier dmax’s we’re the best but the news ones have some issues, they even have a buy back on certain dmax that is hush hush, can’t even get parts for them.

Looking for a high mileage truck? Ram, the hotshot drivers run these for a reason. Low RPM torque, best exhaust brake, the V8’s just won’t last the same length before they need a motor. The Aisin trans is decent too.

I agree with a Ford. In my younger days, I would tow my dads boat with our F350 - all power, zero problems for as long as we owned her.