Which pack?

msmudduck

FNG
Hello to everyone, I've been lurking for awhile and finally joined! Going to hunt colorado unit 74 for elk during first rifle season with some friends this fall. It will be a five day backpack hunt and need to gather opinions on a versatile pack. I am 5'8" 160 lbs with a 30" waist so a fairly small guy who has never owned a decent pack. Something around $3-500 is what I would like to spend but could go higher if I needed. Living in Mississippi I can't really shop around and test different versions as no one carries this type of equipment around here.

charvey9

WKR
You'll get a lot of opinions, but just from my own research Kifaru and Stone Glacier seem to rise to the top. I can't speak to experience with either yet, but am just waiting for the Stone Glacier Sky pack to ship that I preordered. Either of those is going to be in the $700 range.

if that is too much, there are a couple other packs I have experience with in your price range....and I have both for sale since I'm getting the new one.

My first good pack was a Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly, and it is very well built. Suspension system is excellent, very durable materials, and built in rifle scabard. I bought it for a rifle hunt in 2012 for the built in rifle scabbard, and in my opinion it is a very well made and comfortable pack for the money. I kinda gave up rifle hunting and didn't use it again, but the scabard is a nice feature if you will be doing a lot of hiking. I quartered and packed out my first black tail with the pack from the bottom of a deep draw, and it handled the loads very well. It is a bit on the heavy side, at about 9.5lbs, but like I said very good materials and suspension system. Eberlestock makes a few accessories that can be added to the pack to increase the cubic inches, and the top compartment comes off and can be used as a fanny pack. I bought the butt bucket w/ripcord attachment (bow sling), but never even used it.

Last spring I bought a Tenzing 6000 pack, and it served me well for the season. It is a little lighter than the Eberlestock at 7.5lbs and has a lot of pockets that are good for organization. The suspension system is OK, it packed loads around for me up to about 60lbs with no problems. Unfortunately, I didn't notch a tag last season so did not have the opportunity to really load it up. It comes with some built in features, like a rain cover, and a bow/rifle sling, and expandable meat shelf.

They both retail for about $400. If I had to compare the two I would say the Eberlestock is higher quality, and a better option for rifle hunting with the scabard, but the Tenzing gives you more features and organization for the money.

I've also seen quite a few mentions for Badlands or Mystery ranch in that price range, but can't speak from personal experience with them. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about either the Tenzing or Eberlestock packs I have for sale.

OP
M

msmudduck

FNG
Plan to use the pack two or three times a year. Mainly for one western hunt a year with a few camping weekends mixed in. I personally like the kifaru timber lines and the seek outside pack also looks interesting.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the year of the pack plenty of people upgrading / changing so once you have an idea what you want look for one used. The new exo pack fits your budget but are not in production til April. Looks pretty interesting on the videos. I might catch some flax but for one trip a year you probably don't need the latest and greatest. For long term use buy once cry once applies but I would still looked used from the top brands

Solitude

WKR
My vote for you is to follow the Wapitibob advice. Take the money you save and add it to other gear you truly need.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
I have a tenzing 6000 for sale, used it for a 7 day sheep hunt and it worked great. then you have 300+ $$ to invest in other gear.

OP
M

msmudduck

FNG
Some good suggestions. I definitely have plenty more research to do. Should I go internal or external framed? Also what length stays?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Msmudduck,

Internal vs external is a series of trade offs. Traditional externals ventilate well, stabilize heavy loads well, are very durable, and are a good platform to base a meat hauling pack off of. The downside is that they are noisy and a bit clunky, and are too much pack for light loads.

Internals are comfortable with loads of 20-60 lbs. Weights above that require some added durability to stand up to the load, and these designs are prone to torso collapse and/or hip belt slip at heavy loads that makes them uncomfortable.

The Paradox is a hybrid external that advances the external design by giving full shoulder range of motion, and making it comfortable at light loads while maintaining heavy load performance.

Nathan

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The internal frame advice in your post would be incorrect in my opinion. The Kifaru Timberline, Arcteryx Bora, Osprey Crescent and many others will handle weight above 60lbs without issue. I know MANY people that have packed out 100lb loads with a Timberline and prefer it over a framed pack. The same can be said for the Arcteryx Bora.

The Bora is a pack the OP should take a look at too. You can find them for sub $200 on Ebay, as well as other websites.

Others can chime in on this, but I would say the load range you're referring to (20-60) would fit in the UL backpacking packs.
Msmudduck,

Internal vs external is a series of trade offs. Traditional externals ventilate well, stabilize heavy loads well, are very durable, and are a good platform to base a meat hauling pack off of. The downside is that they are noisy and a bit clunky, and are too much pack for light loads.

Internals are comfortable with loads of 20-60 lbs. Weights above that require some added durability to stand up to the load, and these designs are prone to torso collapse and/or hip belt slip at heavy loads that makes them uncomfortable.

The Paradox is a hybrid external that advances the external design by giving full shoulder range of motion, and making it comfortable at light loads while maintaining heavy load performance.

Nathan

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

These photos are all 80- 100+ lb loads from internal packs, and each person said they were very comfortable.....

I dont know who that guy in the bottom is but that is a massive ibex. I also will say that rockchuckers info is really what the standard awnser from backpackers for as long as I've been alive, but with the technology that has come out in the past 10-20 years it's just not as true anymore. I've packed out quite a few 100 plus loads in a Kelty coyote, it was actually more comfertable then my Kuiu pack that I used this year, which is technically an external frame. I don't think lines can be drawn based just on tht anymore. I'm not sure what kifaru or stone glaciers frames would even be classified as? And I've read of plenty of guys using it from daypack to heavy hauler. It's a great time for packs, because you really no longer have to choose what you want your pack to be good at, know they can really do it all.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The internal frame advice in your post would be incorrect in my opinion.

No offence Aron, I should have added a qualifier saying that my opinions are my own, and based on my own experience with my body type.

There are some well done internals on the market, but most fall short of excellence when it comes to loads of 60+ lbs. For what it's worth there are very few externals that are executed well enough to do well at those weights.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Give me a call and I'll walk you though some options and see if I can get you hooked up with a pack. I have several friends that are always going through gear (myself included), so getting into a high end pack at your budget won't be difficult. 720-937-1418
Hello to everyone, I've been lurking for awhile and finally joined! Going to hunt colorado unit 74 for elk during first rifle season with some friends this fall. It will be a five day backpack hunt and need to gather opinions on a versatile pack. I am 5'8" 160 lbs with a 30" waist so a fairly small guy who has never owned a decent pack. Something around $3-500 is what I would like to spend but could go higher if I needed. Living in Mississippi I can't really shop around and test different versions as no one carries this type of equipment around here.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Again, I think that must be because of your body type. If I remember correctly, the only pack that doesn't "slip" on you is the one you designed....correct?

I get a lot of PM's on the advice people post up on all the forums (already received a couple on your last post), so I try and make sure I'm clear on things. If I'm not mistaken, you also say that a 3 piece belt doesn't work as well for flat back guys....is that correct?
No offence Aron, I should have added a qualifier saying that my opinions are my own, and based on my own experience with my body type.

There are some well done internals on the market, but most fall short of excellence when it comes to loads of 60+ lbs. For what it's worth there are very few externals that are executed well enough to do well at those weights.

tttoadman

WKR
Don't forget a major question is whether you are willing to put meat in the primary bag, or if you want something with a separate load shelf. It seems like many packs for sale are there because somebody was unhappy with meat in bag scenario, and wanted to go a different route. My old bag used to be a clothes packer, but it so stained and gross over time it kinda creeps me out. It is now retired for good.

Damn, I know that guy in that photo. I won't post his name in case he doesn't want it up here. I believe he was working as a sheep guide but I didn't realize he was going on these other cool hunts.