Which pack?

ams

WKR
OP, I would try and get yer hands on some packs if possible, considering its only February. Both companies you mentioned have been nothing but great in my experience and go out of their way to help you out. I would highly recommend a Kifaru T1/T2 or the Paradox. The Kifaru timberlines are great at being a grab and go pack with just enough pockets and they haul weight for sure. They move better than most packs that can carry weight, you can get 24 and 26 inch stays for mission specific fit, and there's tons of mods to customize it. Used ones are going at great prices.

The Paradox is also a great pack. There was a small learning curve as I was used to more traditional style features but have been nothing but happy with it. There's a ton of adjustability and there are new bags and accessories coming out this year. It carries weight great and the belt really does a nice job of staying put.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these. I like to switch to 24" stays for regular backpacking and taller for hunting which alot of packs can't do. Most other externals I tried were really stiff for day hikes and pretty heavy.

Take Aron's advise and give him a call. If you do choose to purchase a high end pack, a Kifaru Bikini frame is beyond comfortable. Once you have a Bikini frame, your pack choices and set up are almost endless. Simply the best in my opinion for fit, comfort, and quality.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The best thing you can do is try a few packs on. I know Paradox has a demo program, Kifaru has,customers all over usually willing to show potential new customers their pack. Most of the quality companies have people who are willing to show others their packs.

Check out the reviews up on Backpacking Light and 24hour Campfire for more information on Paradox. The review on campfire is head to head so it should help a lot.

I'm a big fan of Kifaru packs. Light weight compared to other packs of same size yet they carry heavy loads when needed. The bikini frame is comfortable, but with that said I think I like using the duplex frame for heavy loads.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Msmudduck,

Internals are comfortable with loads of 20-60 lbs. Weights above that require some added durability to stand up to the load, and these designs are prone to torso collapse and/or hip belt slip at heavy loads that makes them uncomfortable.

Nathan

This only applies to your typical lighter style internal frames. There are plenty of really good internal and hybrid frames on the market now that haul over 100 lbs with relative ease.

To the OP,
I would not get the REI XT85 that was mentioned earlier. A friend of mine bought one last year to save a few bucks on his first backpack hunt. One of the compression straps ripped out of the bag and made it impossible to compress the load properly. This was on the very first trip with the pack. He has since taken it back to REI and is now looking into a higher end pack like I told him to do last year.

If you want to try and stay within your budget, look into some of the packs that Aron mentioned. A used Bora is, imo the best pack that you can get for under $200.

A used Kifaru T1 or T2 would also work very well for you and you should be able to get one for under $500 or so.

Comfort is all about how it fits you. I swapped packs with my brother last year while packing out a bull, and even though his pack had more weight in it his was more comfortable to me.

A couple days later I used my Barney Bag to pack out a bull and it was even more comfortable. And that is one of the most basic suspensions there are.

As for internal external debate I think 90% of guys would never carry more weight then a Bora can handle.

Good luck OP finding a good pack for you. Tons of choices out there. I wouldn't be afraid to ask if there is anybody in your area that might have a pack you are interested in trying.

MattB

WKR
There are a lot of manic equipment types on this site who frequently buy and sell gear, so you could probably find a really good deal on a used pack if you can identify what you want and periodically watch the classifieds or post a WTB.

MattB

WKR
I should also add that while some of the advice on internals and externals above is generically true, the higher end internal hunting packs like Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, and Stone Glacier will handle weight well above what a typical internal frame pack will and remain supportive and comfortable.

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
like allot have said the arcteryx bora is a great pack i used one for years & packed some very big loads 150+ lbs in it & its still in great shape.i have been running internal frame packs for 20+ years & have pack 100lbs + many times,the only time i run a external frame is when packing moose quarters on short trips otherwise i just dont find them comfortable.i find internal frame packs so much more comfortable & just better all around at everything other than big awkward loads like a full moose quarter even then some of the new internals do that well these days now too.so many good packs out now its hard to chose,if you can try some on thats your best bet.

OP
M

msmudduck

FNG
Finally purchased a pack today after researching for several days i got a great deal on a kifaru. I chose a bikini frame with a duplex timberline 2 all in highlander. Thanks for all the suggestions and pm's having y'all s input really helped. Aron is a great guy to deal with and provides excellent customer service.