Which puffy pants for tree stand hunting?

Split toe

WKR
Which pants should I get for tree stand hunting? They will be used as a insulation layer under nat gear fleece? Will be used when the temps get into the 20s and below.

I used sitka kelvin pants under some quieter pants. It work but wasn’t ideal. I think you loose a lot of loft which reduces warmth. I switched to bibs where possible.

Haven’t used any for hunting but other outdoor endeavors. I’d recommend nunutak, OR refuge pants, MontBell thermawrap UL, or the new Arc’teryx proton pants.

If this is literally for only sitting in a treestand, spend $30 on surplus Primaloft ECW Gen III 3 Level 7 Extreme Cold Weather Insulated Pants. Your checkbook will thank me later, as will your warm cozy legs. But make sure you also buy the suspenders ($14), because these won't stay up without them on a normal human.

Spend a few minutes learning about these pants and you'll see why they are the deal of the decade.

Kuiu has the only ones I know that have full length side zippers that allow them to be put on or taken off with out removing your foot wear which in certain situations is a great thing.

Kuiu has the only ones I know that have full length side zippers that allow them to be put on or taken off with out removing your foot wear which in certain situations is a great thing.

ECW Gen III 3 Level 7 have full side zippers, plus a front zipper, and cost $30. But they are gray. :coffee:

Last edited:
If this is literally for only sitting in a treestand, spend $30 on surplus Primaloft ECW Gen III 3 Level 7 Extreme Cold Weather Insulated Pants. Your checkbook will thank me later, as will your warm cozy legs. But make sure you also buy the suspenders ($14), because these won't stay up without them on a normal human.

Spend a few minutes learning about these pants and you'll see why they are the deal of the decade.

I second what Mike said. Save your money, spend it on something else. Consider buying the size you think you need, as well as a size smaller, and keep the one you prefer.

Under Armor Alpine Ops. I know, not a big fan of other Under Armor gear, but these are different. About a year ago they put these pants on clearance in the their outlet. I ended up paying right around $100 for them. I got them because they were cheap down pants. However, I would say after using them I would put them up against the best in the industry. They weigh right around 16oz if i remember right. They have full side zips (Kuiu is not the only one that does this) and they're warm. Best of all, I think they have the quietest fabric of any of the manufactures that I have seen. I wore them this year in my treestand whitetail hunting as an outer layer and had no issues moving around with deer under my stand. I was wearing a merino base layer and timberline pants and i slipped these on about 3 hours in after I got chilled. It was about 28 degrees with a 15 degree wind chill but I had no problem staying cozy with this layering system. Even at full price, I think I would give them a serious look. As with any puffy pant, the downfall is the delicate fabric but if you're thinking of putting a layer on top of them anyways, I wouldn't think twice.

I was wearing a merino base layer and timberline pants and i slipped these on about 3 hours in after I got chilled. It was about 28 degrees with a 15 degree wind chill but I had no problem staying cozy with this layering system.

I've looked at those UA puffy pants and they are pretty nice, but I'm more amazed that you sat in 15 degree windchill in merino base layers and timberline pants and didnt get cold for 3 hours!

Back