Which State? How do you choose?

It amazes me the percentage of people who start threads that say “Planning our first elk hunt to Colorado” It seems like the majority of people start there. But they don’t always stay there. When I see threads that talk about planning hunts to Wyoming or Montana many of them say “We hunted Colorado the past couple years but want to try another state”.

Just a word to the wise but you might want to think about that if you’re new to elk hunting. What factors do you look at when deciding where to hunt? Who do lots of hunters completely pull camp and relocate it to another state?

I suppose a good thing to do might be to list your priorities in order of importance. If killing elk makes the list ahead of a shorter drive or easy license application systems then choose your state based on that.

Every state has it’s share of quality elk hunting. But unless you have a solid source of information it’s not easy zeroing in on a spot with elk.... more elk than people.

I don’t recall ever seeing a thread that said “Done with Wyoming/Montana. Need help relocating to Colorado” Food for thought.

So tell me.... how do you decide which state to invest your time and money into?

Last edited:

Thomas11

WKR
Well I think ppl start there because it’s the easiest to get a tag in. But for me, this is an easy question. I invest my money and time in all of them. Anyone serious elk hunter knows u really need several states to be able to go every year. I hunt wherever I draw a tag, it’s that simple. If I don’t draw, I hunt CO w a leftover/returned tag of some sort