Which tent for backcountry 2013?

Slim Jim

WKR
Big Agnes platinum fly creek 2 seems to be nice. Same size as regular fly creek 2 but the weight of the fly creek 1. Problem is that it is $pendy.
I use the BA seed house sl1 and love it, just wish it had bigger vestibule. It weighs just a couple oz more than the fly creek but has a little more room. I was in AZ this week with 40+ mph winds and the tent stood up just fine

Have you looked at the Seek Outside Little Bug Out? Add a nest to meet with your floor requirement?

My Base and Vestibule w/ stove jack came in the mail the other day and on first inspection, I like it. This one seems like a winner. Light, spacious, modular. Hope too put it to use here soon...
I just ordered this same setup along with a 12 man tipi and XL titanium stove.

Wrongside

WKR
I just ordered this same setup along with a 12 man tipi and XL titanium stove.

Nice! I have a SO BCS and have been pretty happy with it. I think the LBO will be even better for my purposes. Let us know how you like it.

I 'need' a 8 man tipi... Jealous here. :)

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
I've got about 30 nights in the big angus copper spur and have no complaints (I guess maybe the vestibule could be a tad bigger, but it does fit my big pack). It's survived a couple epic rainstorms and high winds with literally zero ware. I'd defenantly suggest that over the fly creek. Hope it helps.
-Cody

Whisky

WKR
I'm pretty sure a LBO will be in the future for both me and my brother....Tons of options. I am really failing to see what's not to like about this set up?

marinesar

FNG
I will echo the couple of recommendations for the Big Agnes Copper Spur...we had no issues with it whatsoever in some pretty poor weather above treeline last year. Side entry worked much better than the coming and going through one end...

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
Plan on using the so bcs again this year, i just ordered the extra panel last night. The bcs worked great last year and is light for the amount of space inside.

I've heard good things about the MSR Hubba Hubba both the 1 and 2 man.I use a super tarp and a 6 man tipi.Patrick told me a while back that he was working on nests for his shelters.has there been any progress on that Arron ?
Tim

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really like the looks of the SO stuff. Would prefer to stick with Kifaru. When are those nests going to be done Aron? :)

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Big Agnes Fly Creek Platinum. I used it all of last year when I used a tent. Worked great. I did a review of it here on RokSlide, so look it up if you need more details.

trkyslr

WKR
Big Agnes Fly Creek Platinum. I used it all of last year when I used a tent. Worked great. I did a review of it here on RokSlide, so look it up if you need more details.

X2.... This is my backcountry tent and it works great for my needs.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Doug, thanks I read that!

Tim, looking at those now, thanks for the heads up!

Les- floorless shelters are the way to go I think. I have really grown to love them. Kifaru tipis and the supertarp or mega tarp are nice!! Hard to beat on protection against the elements and weight.

crumy

WKR
Justin -- Do you use a bivy wiht yours? I am concerned about a down bag getting wet if it rains due to water coming under tarp.... Maybe I am over thinking it???

bobhunts

WKR
I like my Big Agnes Copper spur also. When I bought it I didn't do enough research or I would have bought the Hilleberg Atko. I've seen how the Atko works in extreme wind and I do not think my BA tent would work as well if that happened. Both are in the same weight class ..just one of them was designed better than the other! I too like a floor under me in a down pour! Bob.

MSR Carbon Reflex 2, tested many tents this year and this is the cats meow. I have the fly creek Platinum II, ultralight weight but it seemed like anything would rip it out so very easily, plus there is hardly any head room. The MSR is big enough for 2 as my wife and I both used it together this last summer. Keep your eyes out in the Classifieds for it, as Im gonna sell it to fund a Mega Trap!!!