Which Truck Canopy Is Your Favorite?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I picked up a new hunting rig and am thinking about looking for a canopy for it. What brands and/or models are you guys all liking? I would like the side windows to open for access and I'm going to look for a used one because I don't want to spend big money.

20230926_174846.jpg

I’ve been happy with my Leer. Like you, I picked up a used one. Best addition I made though was wiring in a bright LED that would light up the whole truck and wired in a cigarette lighter so I can charge stuff back there when I sleep in it.

ODB

WKR
My leer is good enough. I did have to add some extra “stuff” to help prevent water coming in the bottom edges of the door. And after almost a year the glue holding the carpet in still smells like shit.

I would get the next level up from the 100R if I were getting another leer for the better door.

tony

WKR
Man, they are all expensive
I like the RSI smart cap and RLD brand, both have some cool add ons.
The smart cap, you put together yourself.
With what I have in my diamond back, I was half way to either one!

7mm-08

WKR
I bought a new A.R.E. MX canopy for my truck a year ago and really like it. The "mid-rise styling" as A.R.E. terms it is a lifesaver for additional headroom. If you can do it, let your ego forget you're actually putting a "grandpa canopy" on a hot-shit Raptor and you'll be good to go. In all seriousness, the extra headroom is a real bonus. You can order all sorts of window configurations if you buy new. Used will be a different story as you are victim to the market. Good luck with your search.

mlob1one

WKR
I bought a new A.R.E. MX canopy for my truck a year ago and really like it. The "mid-rise styling" as A.R.E. terms it is a lifesaver for additional headroom. If you can do it, let your ego forget you're actually putting a "grandpa canopy" on a hot-shit Raptor and you'll be good to go. In all seriousness, the extra headroom is a real bonus. You can order all sorts of window configurations if you buy new. Used will be a different story as you are victim to the market. Good luck with your search.
Ditto to everything here.
Plus, if you do buy new, add the led lights that run on a little switch. Absolute game changer.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Finn16

WKR
I've had ARE and currently a Leer. Neither have been completely waterproof by the tailgate window. I just replaced the door seals on my Leer and it's better than it was. If you plan to sleep in yours, I would recommend getting a "mid-rise" model. The extra 4-5 inches of ceiling height makes things way more comfortable when sitting back there or changing clothes.

bozeman

WKR
Ranch is the brand I have had on my Z71 for about 5 years now....as others have mentioned, you need to replace seals on tailgate to keep it somewhat airtight and keep dust/water splash out.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Not cheap but the RSI smart caps are built quite well. They do a much better job of sealing up and have an air inlet to try and pressurize the cap. Still need to seal the tailgate well to prevent dust ingress there, but it really helps. Their window/doors are just plain huge, and seal incredibly well. The latches are nice but need snow/ice covers in my experience.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Keep them coming.

I won't likely be sleeping in it since the bed is only 5'5" and I have a slide-in Arctic Fox camper for my big truck.

TSAMP

WKR
I think the real question is new or used. If you go used your gonna take whatever you can get your hands on realistically. The bonus is the raptor shouldn't be to hard to shop for. Ive always heard/seen the rear door hinge on Leer is much larger than ARE.

With new prices around 3k+ ill be curious what the used market looks like. Should be south of 1k or id go new. I bought used and my truck was about 3 years old at the time. Getting the paint to match was very difficult. Tailgate door fit up also was a pain. I did save about 2k dollars though..