Which Truck Canopy Is Your Favorite?

I've had both Leer and ARE and would consider them pretty much equal. I'd go whichever I could get better pricing on. As others have mentioned, I highly recommend the vented windoors and sliding or folding back glass.

I have a F150 w/ the 5.5 bed and I'm 6'-0" tall. It's actually very comfortable to sleep in and I can fully stretch out, I just run my sleeping pad diagonally.

I went with a Snugtop I believe the rebel model. I searched in 3 different states for used ones with no luck, so I ordered it new pre-pandemic. Here’s a list of important accessories starting with most important.
1. Flip up side windows
2. Lock keyed to your key fob (the locks get caked with dust and sometimes impossible to get a key into)
3. LED light inside cab
4. Yakima tracks on roof or something similar so you can mount a roof rack

Everything else is window dressing.

tony

WKR
Justin,
Have you thought about a diamond back cover?
US made, LT warranty, few of the models can support a 4 wheeler. (It looks sketchy as hell though! :p )
Mine has been pretty water tight, and it is super secure. Only ding I can see and this is a personal one. One a short bed mid size truck like my ranger, you have to remove it to haul anything. I think the DB would be great on a full size truck. The panels come off or fold over. I also added a cross bin for storage that can hold long guns or a bow easy.
IMG_6842.jpeg

IMG_6844.jpeg

Lytro

WKR
I put a used Snugtop on my last truck that I had no complaints about. This spring I put an ARE Overland on my current truck. It's been watertight so far and has worked great. My only complaint about the ARE is the carpeting on the inside was done very poorly. It is what it is, but pretty frustrating for a $4,000 canopy. Build time was only about 4 weeks from order to install.

Windoors and at least a sliding front window are a must, IMO. I built a deck for the bed to make better use of the space and to also be used as a sleeping platform.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Justin,
Have you thought about a diamond back cover?
US made, LT warranty, few of the models can support a 4 wheeler. (It looks sketchy as hell though! :p )
Mine has been pretty water tight, and it is super secure. Only ding I can see and this is a personal one. One a short bed mid size truck like my ranger, you have to remove it to haul anything. I think the DB would be great on a full size truck. The panels come off or fold over. I also added a cross bin for storage that can hold long guns or a bow easy.
View attachment 609344

View attachment 609345
Yeah, I've looked at those but a canopy would work best for my uses. Sharp looking truck!

3Esski

FNG
Had a leer on my f250 but got a soft topper for my tundra and love it. Canopy when wanted and 5 minutes later no canopy. Was leery at first but 4 years in alaska and going strong.

ODB

WKR
So far Leer has been the cap I put on my last 3 trucks. Had no issues and had a good fit and finish.

Let me add to my previous slight criticism of my Leer.

The fit to the bed ( like mentioned here) is spot-on a perfect fit. And the color (army green) is also perfect. It is indistinguishable from the truck body.

They just need to run the rear door trim lower - all the way to the bottom of the door.

From my research, Ranch had the best prices. They also claimed to have the strongest top (may have been marketing though). I bought one new and believe I paid $1600 out the door. I added rhino racks for an additional $400 and often have a rooftop tent on top with no issues with cracking, etc.

I bought a leer last year and the quality is absolute trash, look up close and its really bad (windrow trim, window seals, hinges, carpet liner, screens,) the only nice thing was the paint matched. My buddy got an ARE and it was the same quality. if i were to do it again id get a Smart cap.

TSAMP

WKR
Leer 100xr (lower end model) with (2) windoors, carpeted, and remote locks is $3300 installed.

RSI looks to be $4600 and DIY.

That's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable.

Thought I'd share for fellow tire kickers.

I rotate between a canopy, sled deck and open deck. Once you remove the canopy and put it back on, you will get water in the bed of the truck. Been doing this for about 20 years, it is just the nature of the beast, if you remove the canopy and put it back on, on a regular basis.

It does seem that prices have jumped up a lot the last few years. I bought an ARE in 2018 for about 50% of what it would cost today.

Side windoors are exceptionally convenient and available with slider vents in them which I recommend.

Once you remove the canopy and put it back on, you will get water in the bed of the truck. Been doing this for about 20 years, it is just the nature of the beast, if you remove the canopy and put it back on, on a regular basis.
I’m sure this is often true but it doesn’t have to be. Honestly, I have had three ARE caps on three different trucks since 2000. I remove them and put them back on myself at least three times per year, sometimes five, every year. Between firewood, furniture, canoes, hunting gear, general cargo, etc…My cap is rarely on for more than three months at a time but rarely off more than 4 weeks in a row. I have only had water inside one time because I rushed the install and didn’t properly seal the base. But even a meticulous install only takes 35 to 40 mimutes.

I picked up a new hunting rig and am thinking about looking for a canopy for it. What brands and/or models are you guys all liking? I would like the side windows to open for access and I'm going to look for a used one because I don't want to spend big money.

View attachment 609271
I like ARE they are well built look sharp and have options plus lots of accessories. I put a basket on top of mine and I can put a rooftop tent on it or use it for storage for stuff like big elk racks (in my dreams).