Which week would u hunt archery elk in Wy

OP
I

ia bhtr

FNG
There is no freaking way I’d burn max points with no experience. You should cow hunt this year and think about a bull after that. The only exception is if you’re going guided. It is NOT deer hunting. Not even remotely close.
You apparently haven't read all of my posts, I am going guided on large private ranch, but Thanks for your input

Sorry about that. If that’s the case I’d get as close to the park as possible on about the 10th to the 20th where there’s a dream of a 380 bull. Good luck!

Last edited:

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
I assume that you have a rifle tag for a unit without a type 9 archery hunt and could bow hunt on September 1-30th. The 10 days I would focus on would be the 10-20th. I like the prerut and think the odds of harvesting a big bull are good during these dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Datslab

FNG
I’m pretty sure Randy newberg and Corey Jacobsen had a podcast on this subject. Check out elk talk podcast there’s some real nuggets there.

OP
I

ia bhtr

FNG
Thanks for the replys guys , this will be an archery hunt , unit 7

Have listened to Randy and Corey quite a bit , I will check that podcast out , thinking I may have missed that one

OP
I

ia bhtr

FNG
Joe, he doesn't deserve a 380 bull! Ha Ha!!!!!
Actually I dont " deserve " any bull , I sure would like to get a shot opportunity tho , I understand the guided route I am going doesnt set well with the seasoned hunters here , if I had had the chance to pile up some elk hunting experience I would feel the same way about peeps going guided I guess

But , this trip is my reward to myself for a lifetime of nose to the grind stone , so guided makes the most sense to me for what I believe will be the only elk hunt of my lifetime , I just want to experience a quality hunt that I doubt I could supply to myself with no experience

For those that have offered positive suggestions , Thank You so much , Good Luck to all this coming hunting season >>===> !! <===<<

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
There's certainly no need to apologize for a life spent dedicated to working and feeding your family. Getting this hunt in will be awesome for you enjoy every minute get in as good of shape physically and mentally that you can. Shoot your bow every day this summer different positions your guide can know where the elk are and what they're doing but if you're out of shape and can't hold it together for a shot there will be no backstraps over the fire. I don't know if anyone deserves a 380" bull it's something that very few are lucky enough to see.

In your shoes there’s nothing at all wrong with using an outfitter. In unit 7 for your money getting access to private land is a big g deal. Reward yourself!

BigDog00

WKR
If you've never hunted before I'd go around the 20th. You should have some pretty amazing rut action regardless of the moon.. I think the better advice would be to get in the best possible shape you can. Area 7 can be some pretty rough country. Enjoy you hunt!

Scoot

WKR
Yep, no need to apologize. 7 with an outfitter should be a great hunt. Follow the advice of your outfitter- he'll know more about when is best to be there than anyone here. That being said, mid to late Sep will be awesome there. You should have a blast. Get in shape, then get in better shape.

Laramie

WKR
Actually I dont " deserve " any bull , I sure would like to get a shot opportunity tho , I understand the guided route I am going doesnt set well with the seasoned hunters here , if I had had the chance to pile up some elk hunting experience I would feel the same way about peeps going guided I guess

But , this trip is my reward to myself for a lifetime of nose to the grind stone , so guided makes the most sense to me for what I believe will be the only elk hunt of my lifetime , I just want to experience a quality hunt that I doubt I could supply to myself with no experience

For those that have offered positive suggestions , Thank You so much , Good Luck to all this coming hunting season >>===> !! <===<<
I have guided in area 7 on a large ranch. It was honestly great hunting and rut activity from about the 10th - early October every year. Don't stress too much over the details you are paying the outfitter to take care of. The 20th is a very safe date. Focus on you. Shoot a lot, prepare mentally, focus on physical fitness, and enjoy the anticipation of the great time to come. Area 7 isn't too rough of country in general but don't underestimate how in shape you need to be. Even those smaller hills can be punishing. Also, spend a little time considering what you want to do after you fill your tag. There is solid fall fishing in the area and some great sight seeing to do in Wyoming. Enjoy and good luck!

KyleSS

Lil-Rokslider
There is no freaking way I’d burn max points with no experience. You should cow hunt this year and think about a bull after that. The only exception is if you’re going guided. It is NOT deer hunting. Not even remotely close.
Post #10 states that he has a very reputable guide

Buffinnut

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot your bow every day, get in the best shape you possibly can.
Practice going to weird places and guessing yardages and shooting. Take a judo point walk through the woods, pick a stump and shoot it. Do that as much as you can.
my kryptonite on my first elk hunt was not using the rangefinder in the moment and misjudging yardage. I practiced what I’m preaching but just not enough apparently.

If you're on private land, most cannot even relate other than staring at all those elk that came from the National Forest onto the private lands each and every day and are going crazy day and night. I'd pick the latest dates possible just so you can experience the craziness of the rut. The moon, sun, tides wouldn't even be a blip on my planning phase of the hunt.

I'd go out on a limb and say what you are about to experience will never translate over to any other unguided public land hunt in your near future. Enjoy disneyland!

cgasner1

WKR
Congrats on the retirement you have earned this hunt enjoy every minute of it and post some pictures when your done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I

ia bhtr

FNG
Thanks for the encouragement guys , one of my "faults " is that I shoot my bow almost daily , I actually started on conditioning in January , this past month or so been putting a 30 # pack on and doing 2 to 5 miles a day , I do need to find some hills to work me harder tho

I am lucky enough to have an area that I can practice about any shot situation that I am thinking I may encounter , which should be fun in itself

Thinking the 20th will be good timing , I do know the guide I booked with , knowing my situation , picked that time frame to give me what he thought to be a good opportunity

Thanks again guys