White Duck Outdoors

Looking at buying a White Duck Outdoors Tent for a base camp tent. Specifically the 10' Regatta Bell Tent Does anyone have experience with these tents?

Plan on using this in the eastern states. Hopefully for 3 seasons, comfortably. Hoping to use in mid-spring for turkeys, through summer camping and into fall hunts for whitetail. Will be using the stove jack. Most of the time, there will only be 2 hunters, maybe 3 at most.

Any thoughts/ opinions. TIA.

1620737472912.png

OP
RockinRam96
Yes I did. I do not have a lot of experience with canvas rectangle, but I was impressed with the quality and very happy with it.

We have only spent one night innit in the back yard but I am excited to use it.

I also bought a Guide Gear stove for it from Sportsman’s Guide that seems like it will be a great fit for the tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD116

FNG
That’s awesome. I bought the same one. I’ve set it up but haven’t stayed in it yet. The quality, like you said, is top notch. I also have a big Davis wall tent but this is perfect for 2 with a stove and gear and so much easier to set up. I’m completely happy with the purchase. I plan on doing some winter camping in it as I bought a kni-co stove for it.

OP
RockinRam96
I plan to use it this coming rifle season. Haven’t had a chance to use it during this bow season.

Last edited:
OP
RockinRam96
Got a chance to finally use the tent!

7959e8e9388df582408bf8f8dc560150.jpg

da2c2d957a4e6b08eda5685c5c7ed44b.jpg

cb122c41039154620345bd8e411684e2.jpg

OP
RockinRam96
Tent worked out great! Couldn’t be happier.

Have to figure out my stove though. It got the tent plenty warm but as soon as I went to slow the fire down it would get quite smoky inside the tent. Leave the door open a crack the fire would get ripping hot and no smoke issues. Also had creosote running down the chimney.

The stove only has a 4” chimney with a spark arrester at the top. Wondering if it needs a bigger pipe, and/ or maybe the spark arrester cut off? Thoughts?

Fire box is 11”wx17”Lx8”h for reference.

JohnD116

FNG
Hmm, I didn’t seem to have any smoke issues like that.

I have a kni-co packer stove. Below are the specs:

• 16" high, 10" wide and 23" long.
• Storage size: 10" x 10" x 23"
• Fire box size: 9 1/2" x 8 1/2" x 21"
• Made with 22 gauge cold rolled steel
• 5" stove pipe hole (works with our 5" tapered pipe)
• Weight 12.5 lbs

It’s a little big for this set up but I’m happy with it.

I did have a small creosote drip too. There could be a number of things that could be causing your smoke issue, but i think it’s probably specific to a clog (creosote) in the spark arrestor. The clog isn’t allowing the smoke to exit up top as designed and is forcing it out through the easiest exit…. Into the tent. When the fire is burning raging hot, it’s burning the creosote, allowing it to exit better.

This could be happening at a faster rate because of the type of wood you were burning.

I’m no expert haha but that’s what I’d imagine where your problem may be coming from.

OP
RockinRam96
Sorry remeasured it is only a 3-1/4” chimney pipe.

I think the size of the pipe is the issue. Needs to be at least 4-1/2” to 5”. Guess it’s time to modify.

JohnD116

FNG
Yeah that could be the issue. There’s a guy on YouTube that has some really good info on the subject. Let me see if I can find it and link it….

JohnD116

FNG
It can be pretty warm in there but the windows do do a good job of cooling it.

I don’t think it’s much different than most other tents as far as that goes. I think if you’re in any other tent midday in the summer it’s gonna get pretty warm.

One thing to consider is that with the larger diameter version, you’ll likely spend more time above the vertical walls where the windows are…. I’d imagine with hot air rising its slightly warmer up there.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Good thread, as I'm considering a bell-style tent. Thanks.

Few questions of those running them:
  • Would you consider using one for car camping if you were moving camp every day or every few days?--e.g. is setup straightforward enough for that application or would it be a pain in the ass?
  • How much space do they take up when packed?
  • How hard are they to pack up neatly?
We're now a family of 3 + large dog. A toddler + dog + Mr Buddy in a 6-man dome is a recipe for disaster or at least me being institutionalized by the end of a weekend. My ice fishing hub-shelter is okay in cold weather but gets hot summers. So I'm looking for something with more space, and I like the idea of canvas for sleeping cooler in the summers and drier in the winters. Bells look like they'd check a lot of boxes for us, except perhaps when it comes to moving camp every day on roadtrips. Would like to hear input from you/others.

Superdoo

WKR
Set up/ tear down is what got me interested in these as well as their ability to shed wind.
Most of the videos and reviews I've seen say 11 minutes to 30 minutes to put up if you're by yourself.
They pack up into 30" x 15" roll and every review says they fit easily in the carry bags they come with.

If you're setting up during the evening for just one night and taking it down in the morning, I could see it being a PITA. But then again putting together a big dome tent by yourself sucks too.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Set up/ tear down is what got me interested in these as well as their ability to shed wind.
Most of the videos and reviews I've seen say 11 minutes to 30 minutes to put up if you're by yourself.
They pack up into 30" x 15" roll and every review says they fit easily in the carry bags they come with.

If you're setting up during the evening for just one night and taking it down in the morning, I could see it being a PITA. But then again putting together a big dome tent by yourself sucks too.
Appreciate the response, thanks. Yeah, there's a cost to everything when it comes to setup/breakdown. Not sure there's a free lunch out there, but the one pole setup/good stake out for a bell is pretty intriguing to me