White-tail Gear Locker

Bigolbill

FNG
Good morning, looking for some advice today.

I’ve been thinking about building a gear locker recently and using weather stripping etc. to seal it up. Fortunately, yesterday I scored this piece built by a local metal shop. VERY heavy and well built, 90” tall, huge with tons of storage, I think it will be perfect for my hunting gear/wardrobe.

My question is, it’s an “airflow” locker, so it’s built around constant ventilation when storing clothes, boots etc. since these security lockers are mainly built for police departments & law enforcement. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing for me, on one hand I think it’s nice if there’s a day I go out and it’s snowing/raining and my gear gets a little wet. On the other hand, in terms of scent control, this could be an issue.

It will be going in my attached garage, no gas cans, lawnmowers etc, that’s all in the shed. My girlfriend will be parking her car in the garage in the winter though.

Would you guys seal up all the openings? Make it airtight and try to manage the scent control as much as possible? Or just by a small ozone purifier and Integrate it into the locker and leave it open? TIAA6300D2E-E92E-4A52-B661-E19B926C6027.jpegAD79317E-4DB9-4FF8-B43C-8DA11E1EF2F4.png0C25560A-A4E5-473B-BE28-80FE569F0AFE.png4164A7EB-BA4D-4DEA-A6C5-1A35CC8EA375.png

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a fantastic project!

I am certainly no expert but was thinking of doing something similar and I am very curious to hear what the experienced voices have to say so that I can integrate their experience into my planning process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
I'd personally let airflow. Unless your GF lets her car warm up in the garage for some odd reason I wouldn't worry about it just being pulled in and out. Of course I'm not a huge "scent control" guy. I tried for a couple years to be almost militant about scent control and notices 0% change in encounters or success.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Nice locker. I’d leave it as is. I use an old wooden dresser for all (well most) of my hunting clothes that’s in my basement. Just play the wind.

OP
Bigolbill

Bigolbill

FNG
Personally, I wouldn’t fool with any of that. Also, I would never store clothes that are the least bit damp.

Don’t overthink it.
“fool with any of that” regarding sealing it up? Or “fool with any of that” as in you wouldn’t use it for storage?

…probably overthinking it again lol.

I’m just going to take some unscented cleaner product and wipe everything down to get the dust & dirt out of it & call it a day.

N2TRKYS

WKR
“fool with any of that” regarding sealing it up? Or “fool with any of that” as in you wouldn’t use it for storage?

…probably overthinking it again lol.

I’m just going to take some unscented cleaner product and wipe everything down to get the dust & dirt out of it & call it a day.
During the season I don’t store my stuff in anything. A plastic tote works great, if I even do that. Lol

OP
Bigolbill

Bigolbill

FNG
During the season I don’t store my stuff in anything. A plastic tote works great, if I even do that. Lol
Our organizational hierarchy may differ haha, having all XL & XXL gear, I’d need a lot of tubs to fit everything. Plus it’s nice just to keep it all in one place.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Our organizational hierarchy may differ haha, having all XL & XXL gear, I’d need a lot of tubs to fit everything. Plus it’s nice just to keep it all in one place.

10-4. I keep saying that I’m gonna put my stuff all nice and neat. But it usually winds up stacked in a pile on the floor in my hunting room. 😂