Who has an insulated garage door?

nrh6.7

WKR
So we're having two garage doors replaced in the next week, but the existing doors are just the metal door w/o any insulation. Local door company was running a special on their R12.9 doors and we pulled the trigger.

What I'd like to know is how are they during hot summers? I'm sure I will like the garage being warmer during the winter, but do they hold the heat in during the summers? Living in Texas, and obviously not having AC in the garage makes me wonder if I'll end up regretting this purchase.

KurtR

WKR
it gets hot here in the summer and i think they keep the garage cooler

its like 20 below here today and in six months it will be 100 so we get to test stuff out pretty good

Last edited:

Jude

FNG
I replaced my old wooden door with a insulated and couldn't be happier, 10 degrees warmer in winter and no noticeable difference in summer.

Agross

WKR
I'll echo what has already been said. We moved back in June and the place we bought had insulated garage doors. Didn't think much of it at the time , but love it now. Warmer in the winter , cooler in the summer.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Thank you all for the responses; they were what I was expecting/hoping for. Going to leave the order as is and enjoy them.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
So after all the responses, I'm going to upgrade the r value from 12.9 to 18.4, for just a little more expense. I like to work in the garage anyways and I'm going to be trying my hand at woodworking soon so might as well. Thanks for all the input.

Zoomfish

Lil-Rokslider
Just finishing up garage renovation and doors are next on the list. Any of y’all DIY insulate your doors?

Curious as to rigid foam v batts etc.

Thanks! Jesse

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
so I just put on 5.7-8.something doors. they are insulated but not the top of the line. I went this route because I wanted to retain heat in winter. I was going to go high-end insulation but in all honesty, is your garage heated in the winter? I have a big heater in mine but only turn it on when I am out there. in the summer, my garage is fairly cool but end up opening the door anyway for fresh air. just my thought process on why I chose insulated but not the Gucci model. If my garage was heated, then I can see spending the extra dough.

Grumman

WKR
Heck I think they are worth it alone for how much quieter they are when they operate. I just moved to a house with an uninsulated door and the sound it makes compared to all of my prior insulated doors is crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we're having two garage doors replaced in the next week, but the existing doors are just the metal door w/o any insulation. Local door company was running a special on their R12.9 doors and we pulled the trigger.

What I'd like to know is how are they during hot summers? I'm sure I will like the garage being warmer during the winter, but do they hold the heat in during the summers? Living in Texas, and obviously not having AC in the garage makes me wonder if I'll end up regretting this purchase.

I am down the road from you in Granbury. I have an insulated garage door that works great; but the door is just part of it. You have to make sure to insulate the ceiling as well. I have a side garage that is insulated really well with the insulated garage door and it works great. My main 2 car garage does not have an insulated door or ceiling and it gets hot in the summer. I am looking to insulate the door and ceiling this winter so help keep it cooler next summer.

TL/DR: make sure to insulate the ceiling space above the garage to get the best results and it will work really well.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
I built a 40x60 steel building and put very expensive R19 or R21 (I can’t remember - it’s 3” of sprayed polyurethane in the door) 12x14 doors (2 of them) in it. It will be heated and cooled, and yes, the R value is the shiznit both summer and winter!

insulated doors are the only way to go. the higher end models have a thermal break that is very efficient as well. make sure your attic is properly insulated also.