Who here hunts whitetail fro ma saddle setup?

Since getting my saddle I think I've only used my hang on stand only a hand full of times. I love being able change trees easily. I think I only sat in the same tree 2 or three times last season. I went with a tethrd set up. Skelator sticks, predator xl platform and menace saddle. 10 minutes up ready to hunt. I love it.

I’m very new to saddles and so far I’ve only used mine (Dryad) from a tree stand.

I agree on going to saddlehunter.com and that the saddle for me is a much better safety option than a harness. I also learned that my safety wasn’t up to par (imho) when I was just climbing in and out of a tree stand, so I have applied some of the climbing safety measures for getting into and out of my tree stands.

I also went down the path of teaching myself the “JRB Climbing Method” (https://jrbtreeclimbing.com/). I went in deep enough to buy and geek out on all of the recommended equipment, to teach myself the knots - but I never got around to practicing it in the field. So a long winded paragraph that I’m thinking of either renewing my interest, or abandoning it due to the reality of my age and apathy. I do think it’s the safest way to climb into and out of a tree.

I JRB climb when I’m saddle hunting. I love it. It’s not difficult at all once you’ve practiced it a few times and being tied in on a rope with no slack makes me feel as safe as possible when climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stoney920

Lil-Rokslider
Just got a jx3 hybrid today. Anxious to try it out as I have not been in a saddle yet. We will see how it goes!

fwafwow

WKR
I JRB climb when I’m saddle hunting. I love it. It’s not difficult at all once you’ve practiced it a few times and being tied in on a rope with no slack makes me feel as safe as possible when climbing.

Ugh. Posts like these are good and bad for me. I spent lots of time watching all of the videos, and I ended up purchasing all of the gear to do the JRB method, but I’ve sucked about following through on executing the technique. I may need to reengage.

Just got a jx3 hybrid today. Anxious to try it out as I have not been in a saddle yet. We will see how it goes!

I’ve got a jx3. It’s a little bulky compared to a regular saddle but the comfort is unmatched. It’s the most comfortable I’ve ever been in a tree and I’ve hunted in some really nice ladder stands. I’m sure you’ll like it.

Ugh. Posts like these are good and bad for me. I spent lots of time watching all of the videos, and I ended up purchasing all of the gear to do the JRB method, but I’ve sucked about following through on executing the technique. I may need to reengage.

It takes a little bit of time to build your system but once you do and get it dialed in the climbing is as easy and as safe as it gets. My problem is he’s always coming up with changes and improvements and I just don’t keep up with the most up to date options. Updating mine is going to be on the agenda here soon.

This will be my 4th yr, 3rd since I sold all my stands & switched completely. I started out with a Guidos Web Hybrid, then moved to a Sit drag, then Aerohunter Flex & now I’m running a Custom Gear Modifications Sidewinder. CGM will be my go-to now for saddle gear, was able to try out their pleated Cobra at Mobile Hunter Expo last month, love it & those guys have great service.

I also just ordered the UP platform from EWO after trying it out at the Expo as well. One sticking is the ticket for me. I can climb any tree, from limbed oaks to the straight Long-leafs here in eastern NC.

air8x

FNG
I think yes, you do save some weight with a saddle platform. But if your buying lightweight equipment overall, i think the weight should not really be a factor. For me it comes down to compactness of your equipment. I do both though depending on what i want to do, Saddle or Treestand. But my custom lone wolf .75 stand only weighs like 9.5 lbs, and what is key is it is nice and narrow so its not wider than me walking through the woods. I don't worry about the extra maybe 4 to 6 lbs. It might take me......an extra 30 seconds to hang the stand compared to the platform, maybe. I go up and down the tree exactly the same between the treestand and platform. Also, i do get finances tho, it is ridiculous how much the lone wolf cost, but they got me to do it and i do like the treestand. You can get a really nice saddle platform a lot cheaper.