Who is moose hunting 2023?

is it worth the trouble to become a Known Shipper with Alaska Air Cargo? I’ve sent in my application but haven’t heard anything back in over a month.
Is anybody at the outfit you’re using a known shipper? My pilots wife was a known shipper and she set everything up for us.

Last edited:
I have been putting in for 17 years as a nr and drew zone 2 in Maine. I am excited about it for sure. I booked with blackwater outfitters as I am over 1300 miles away.

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I"m headed to BC for the first time from the states. I know the outfitter has a plan but getting meat back is something I'm still curious about. My flight home is gonna be over two days so bringing any with me is not really an option. I assume I'll pay a small fortune to get it back home.. but if anyone has any reccos for how they did it from BC to east coast.. i'm all ears

I"m headed to BC for the first time from the states. I know the outfitter has a plan but getting meat back is something I'm still curious about. My flight home is gonna be over two days so bringing any with me is not really an option. I assume I'll pay a small fortune to get it back home.. but if anyone has any reccos for how they did it from BC to east coast.. i'm all ears

My clients fly at least 55 lbs -- even up to 170 lbs -- of backstraps, tenderloins and select hind quarter cuts, via commercial airlines and excess baggage fee(s), by placing 55 lbs of meat in each Coleman cooler and then duct taping it closed.

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
My clients fly at least 55 lbs -- even up to 170 lbs -- of backstraps, tenderloins and select hind quarter cuts, via commercial airlines and excess baggage fee(s), by placing 55 lbs of meat in each Coleman cooler and then duct taping it closed.

Yeah I would if it wasn’t gonna take me two days to get home. Last time I did that coming from Canada the airlines sent all my stuff ahead of me and I was delayed and they left the cooler in luggage area for two days. Everything spoiled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I would if it wasn’t gonna take me two days to get home. Last time I did that coming from Canada the airlines sent all my stuff ahead of me and I was delayed and they left the cooler in luggage area for two days. Everything spoiled.

Not good

Drew non-resident for ID unit 76 (western WA resident); very much looking forward to it but it's going to be a long 3 months of driving back and forth to scout.

I hunted in Northern BC several years ago. Drove from central Ohio to Ft. Nelson BC where the bush plane took us from. Was 46 hours of driving each way, but had a chest freezer and generator in the truck and saw a lot of great country along the way. The hunt was fantastic, rode a lot of miles on horses over that 2 weeks and brought home a pretty nice BC bull with all of the meat.

That drive may not be for everyone, but I felt it was worth it.

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted in Northern BC several years ago. Drove from central Ohio to Ft. Nelson BC where the bush plane took us from. Was 46 hours of driving each way, but had a chest freezer and generator in the truck and saw a lot of great country along the way. The hunt was fantastic, rode a lot of miles on horses over that 2 weeks and brought home a pretty nice BC bull with all of the meat.

That drive may not be for everyone, but I felt it was worth it.

Yeah makes sense. I just don’t have the time to drive it from Virginia. If I were to go back to Manitoba I’d definitely drive it for that reason.

Yeah makes sense. I just don’t have the time to drive it from Virginia. If I were to go back to Manitoba I’d definitely drive it for that reason.

We will be in a similar boat this year, headed to Bethel AK with Renfro’s and there isn’t a driving option either. Haven’t nailed it all down 100% yet but leaning towards having it processed up there and have them ship to me with their known shipper account. Have not worked out all the numbers but it can be flown directly to our local airport so thinking that may be easiest.

lonedave

WKR
Drew a once-in-a-lifetime Bull Moose tag here in WA this year. Have never actually looked into moose hunting before because I never thought I'd ever actually get drawn. Looking forward to this Fall to say the least! The moose hunting in WA is pretty epic.
Hey, congrats! I drew in 2015 and was successful in the Kettle Range unit. What unit did you draw?

lonedave

WKR
I’ll be hunting moose in BC in late October. I’ll be driving up from Washington and hopefully home with a full truckload of coolers! After some research it sounds like I have the coolers covered. I just got three 120qt Igloos and I have a 104 and a couple of other large loaners. I’m hoping that’ll be enough. Anyone have any insight on cooler numbers and volume?

40 days and a wakeup and I'll be back home for my 48th year hunting moose in Alaska. Can't wait.
8FwZb17.jpg

CZ00ZBG.jpg

pmtmsDt.jpg