Who is moose hunting 2023?

AKBorn

WKR
40 days and a wakeup and I'll be back home for my 48th year hunting moose in Alaska. Can't wait.
8FwZb17.jpg

CZ00ZBG.jpg

pmtmsDt.jpg
Best of luck with the longbows John! We're probably flying out the day you fly in, hunting caribou this year.

Michael (AKBorn)

I am heading to Manitoba this year for my first moose hunt. Driving from SC, but I have in-laws in Indiana and MN, so it will be broken up a bit. If I am lucky enough to kill one, I have two 145 quart RTIC coolers that will have my meat in them for the trip home.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone is looking for a moose hunt for this fall I just had a hunter push back to 2025 due to an injury.
This is the only spot I have available for this year and next year.
Fly-in, Northeast Alberta. Sept 18-25. Guided 1x1 boat based hunt. No resident pressure, only outfitter in a 2900sq mile area. You will have a lake all to yourself. Black bear and wolf tags included.
Wall tents, wood stoves and great meals.
75% success rate last year, over 80% opportunity. All bulls went between 46-56".
Message me for details, this wont last long im sure. Most reputable moose outfitters I know are booked for this year and most of next.

First post here so hi All. Resident hunting in northern Ontario again at the family outfit, wonderful fly-in camp in a pretty private area in unit 17. Tag #s cut way down after the aerial survey but the two years we've been there have seen no less than 5 moose in different ends of the lake and filled tags. Ministry's population estimate is about 1/3 habitat capacity but they admit to wanting it way down to provide space for caribou recovery. Something like 31 bull tags for residents and I'll have my answer at midnight tonight.
I took a 38" bull last year at 13 yards (paced) along the river after he chased a cow nearly onto my lap. Hope to live that again every year.

I'm not quite sure what photo sharing courtesy is here yet but here he is out of the cooler waiting on the plane. Had the head done as a euro but I need to get a hanger. Is it bad luck to leave him off the wall before heading on the next trip?
IMG_5508.jpg

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
got drawn in a lovely area that might limit the local competition and fewer tags for the non resident in that specific area, will depend of course on weather condition. i will be using a freighter canoe.

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Hi John, hope things are going well for you. Is this year your last moose trip Or was it last year.

My Sherpa is my simi-adopted kid (kid hell, he just turned 35 and is a veterinarian). He showed up at my house wanting to build a selfbow his freshman year in college. I helped him build a bamboo backed Ipe bow in one of my weekly bow-night classes; he kept coming back. I took him to AK for moose when he got his masters in 2016, only took him ten years. He went to college on the extended plan; going to school in the spring and sometimes in the summer, then spending the falls hunting anything he had a tag for. Hunting is why he choose to go to Montana State

The agreement is he packs the meat and I’ll do the skinning and deboning.

Bamboo backed ipe huh? Tough belly wood for sure but I'll bet it's a good one.

Walt, this is planned to be my last year on "my" ridge before turning it over to the PBS. If they goof up and don't keep it filled with hunters (and therefore risk losing its dedicated status) then I might have to step back in. I'd hate to see such a rare hunting opportunity lost since 40MA has so few ridge tops that us old-timers have used for many consecutive years. But at my age I'm getting well good and tired of hauling moose back to the ridge top. That and sheep hunting are two endeavors better suited to younger men.

I wish you and your "young" friend good fortune this year!

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
John,
Best of luck on your hunt. Hopefully your last hunt on the ridge is a successful.

What are your dates? I think you usually go in before me.

Share pictures when you get back.

Hunter builds a lot better bow now then when he started making them. This year he made and is using an Osage selfbow with recurved tips, sturgeon skin on the back, and big horn sheep overlays.