Who uses compact binos

kicker338

WKR
As the title says, wandering who uses compacts along with there full size ones. My full size ones are 10X40 and depending where I'm hunting, they are not the best choice. A lot of brush hunting for elk here in Nth. Id and while hunting last fall, I got to thinking about getting some compacts just for this brush hunting. Last month I picked up a pr. of vortex 8X28 and after playing with them I pretty much desided they should work great. Keep in mind I wont be carrying both. the compacts for brush and the full size for more open country. The compacts are working great for shorter distances out to 3 to 400yds and don't need them for anything farther. What do you guys think.

Akicita

WKR
After many years in the military using the worlds best precision optics of various magnifications, sizes and weights I came to a compromise and carry something I believe falls in the middle. . . The Steiner MM830. At about 17 ounces the weight is very manageable and they are small enough to fit in my Hill People Gear chest rig or the cargo pocket of my pants. They are the toughest binocular I have ever used and they have a infinite focus from 20 meters and beyond so I don't have to chase focus of moving targets or while scanning from near to far. Not sure if they qualify as compact to most of you but they are to me and the only binocular I carry.

elkguide

WKR
Here in Vermont, things tend to be pretty thick at times. I also try and spend a lot of time out west and I use the same 10X42 Swarovskis for both types of hunting and am very happy with them.

Randle

WKR
Yep for N idaho jungle country I have switched to 8 x 32 for my archery season, they are always easy to carry and enough for this country, all i am trying to do is figure out if thats a tree limb or an antler. that type of thing , so they work great for me.

I'm thinking of going the compact route myself just haven't decided on a brand thinking something 8x32 range perfect for dark timber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd use them if I had them. Not a lot of glassing where I generally elk hunt in NM. Something fist-sized to hang around my neck for checking out spots of potential blond elk hide across a narrow canyon. There's only about 2 spots where I'd miss the bigger 10 x 42s. I could live with that. I use them mostly to look at birds when I'm out there.

My choice would be Pentax 10 x 24 UCF WP. Very lightweight, and good value in my opinion. $114 at B&H right now.

I like the Leica Ultravid 8x32 for your application. We also have a pair of the tiny Leica Ultravid 8x20 Binos. They are critical on eye placement and we only use them for day hiking where we aren't seriously glassing. They are sharp but I don't like them for hunting very well.

LostArra

WKR
Do a search for Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 including the bird watching sites. They are extreme geek about glass ( think Roksliders and packs).

A true steal at $175

I can't hunt with anything smaller than a 32 objective (but I do use the Yosemites 6x30's for watching the bird feeders)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
K

kicker338

WKR
Yep for N idaho jungle country I have switched to 8 x 32 for my archery season, they are always easy to carry and enough for this country, all i am trying to do is figure out if thats a tree limb or an antler. that type of thing , so they work great for me.

Where are you located here in N Idaho? I do a lot of hunting around wolf lodge saddle, it's north east of Fernan lake. That place is an ugly hell hole but almost always has bulls in it. That area is my main reason for compact binos, doing good to see 40yds if that far but there are holes in the brush that you can see into. Also a lot of hard climbing threw that stuff and compacts will be a lot easyer to deal with than full sized ones

OP
K

kicker338

WKR
I have a pair of 6x30 Leupold Yosemites that I like quite a bit.

Those Yosemites is what really got me going on compacts. I got a pr. of those for my grandson last yr. He's a little down syndrome guy and loves to hunt with me. We were watching a spot last yr. where several trails came togather,I had my 10X40's and playing with his they just as easy to pick out objects within 100yds. as my full size binos.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I have been considering this. Have always used 10x42, but really liked the Cabelas/Meopta 8x32. Can't speak to low light characteristics, but my hunch is with that quality of glass, they will do ok at first and last light. I liked them so much, I am considering them paired with a spotter for open country/all purpose use, not just timber.

Russ, I have 10x42 Swarovision ELs as well as the 8x32 Leica Ultravid. The smaller glass is great to carry but I prefer the larger 10x42 in the wide open spaces. Sure nice to have both to pick from. Just like clothes or boots. This past season I spent about an equal amount of days with each. Depending on where and what I hunt some years I use the 10x42 pair much more than the 8x32.

oldgoat

WKR
I got along just fine with a 10x28 monocular for several years, carried it in my pocket. All I care is to do though is differentiate between an elk and a rock etc.. Only draw back was light gathering and field of view was extremely limited. Then I found out about AGC bino harness and I'm back to carrying full size, but I did pick up the wife a pair of 8x42s so I can borrow them sometimes, but not always!

ScottinPA

WKR
I carry Minox 8x32 in PA and typically Swarovski SLC 10x42 out west but last year in NW MT I used the Minox and didn't feel I was missing anything but weight.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
Russ, I have 10x42 Swarovision ELs as well as the 8x32 Leica Ultravid. The smaller glass is great to carry but I prefer the larger 10x42 in the wide open spaces. Sure nice to have both to pick from. Just like clothes or boots. This past season I spent about an equal amount of days with each. Depending on where and what I hunt some years I use the 10x42 pair much more than the 8x32.

Blockcaver, that sounds like a pretty common sense approach-one that I will probably follow eventually.

Beendare

WKR
I tried to like the compacts [smaller than 30mm]....but just can't do it. Smallest I would go would be 32mm...I use my binos a lot...even in timber.

kad11

WKR
I've been using the Sightron 8x32s that LostArra mentioned earlier for all my elk hunting and don't feel the need to get anything else. I pair them with a 50 mm Razor spotter and really like the combo for its overall light weight, handiness in the timber, and ability to identify bulls out to a couple miles.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I only use Swaro 8x30 CL's I don't think Id ever change or trade them out. Best glass Ive ever owned.