Who's actually killed a charging bear?

First off, I don't want to start a pissing match between 10mm lovers and wheel gunners, but welcome opinions from those who have been present during a charge.

Im curious, for those who have, what caliber was used to stop the bear and how fast did it stop? In their tracks with a single shot? Multiple handgun rounds? Shot placement?

Just doing some research on my next rifle and sidearm purchases before November this year as I have seen 7 grizzly in 3 years and now have become uncomfortable and feel undergunned.

I'm open to this going off track and becoming a story telling thread, I just didn't want another 10mm vs revolver pissing match from people who have never shot a large revolver or seen a bear up close.

Good topic, especially in light of the recent death.
I definitely felt under gunned with a 357 (same ballistics as 10mm) and went to 44 mag.
No charges or shots fired for me, and glad of it. Hunt in heavy griz areas.
Here's a good study on the use of handguns for bear defense.

I have not done it myself. I was hunting a few years ago with a friend when he was charged maybe 200-300 yards from where I was. My friend killed the bear with his 300 win mag, he didn’t even have a handgun on him at the time (neither did I).

Good topic, especially in light of the recent death.
I definitely felt under gunned with a 357 (same ballistics as 10mm) and went to 44 mag.
No charges or shots fired for me, and glad of it. Hunt in heavy griz areas.
Here's a good study on the use of handguns for bear defense.
That was very interesting, looks like the old 44 mags do the trick just fine.

I was looking at ruger alaskans in 44 and researching rifles for areas I hunt, mostly heavily timbered areas and would like to upgrade this fall to a "do it all" rifle, I was looking at a 375 H&H but I was wondering if that was overkill for a lower 48 grizzly.

This thread should be interesting once the Alaska natives start chiming in more.

I have not done it myself. I was hunting a few years ago with a friend when he was charged maybe 200-300 yards from where I was. My friend killed the bear with his 300 win mag, he didn’t even have a handgun on him at the time (neither did I).
1 shot stop with a 300 WM? Or more specifically, put it down in it's tracks?

1 shot stop with a 300 WM? Or more specifically, put it down in it's tracks?

He shot it two times, one into its neck, the bear spun around and he hit it right between the shoulders. It ran into a stand of spruce trees, sort of an island of trees on the tundra. We watched the trees from a hillside on the opposite side of the river we were hunting from for quite awhile before going in to look for it. It was dead when we finally went to check. We took the skull and got it tagged at fish and game, I have that skull in my office still. The bear was probably around 7 feet, not a huge one but that dosen’t matter.

Phil Shoemaker has killed at least one (recently), and probably had to finish off others, given that he has guided Alaska brown bear and griz hunters for decades. But, I don't think he is on Rokslide...you may be able to find the story about the one he killed recently on a salmon stream at 7 yards or so.

If you're thinking about a .375, maybe also consider a .338 with a 24 inch barrel, might have a little more range with the proper bullets and load (for deer/elk, not saying take long shots at bears).

And if you're serious about bear prep, I would also suggest some practice going from a shouldered/slung rifle with no round in the chamber, to shooting a target about 15 to 20 yards away as fast as you can. It will quickly show some weak links in how we might carry our rifles not helping in a rapid fire situation (i.e., have scope on lowest power possible, have scope caps off, and have safety (on bolt guns) in the fire position if the chamber is empty).

Same thing for the pistol, practicing clearing and firing quickly at a close target.

I take a .338 WinMag and a S&W 629 in .44 Mag for my remote Alaska hunts, but the closest we have come is having a young bear run through camp about 35-40 yards away. That doesn't really count as close. We have never had to shoot one, and hope it stays that way.

Sprayed a black bear, but have never shot one. I carry a Glock 20 at all times in Alaska.

I killed one at 10 feet that was startled but not charging with a 10mm to the faceScreenshot_2017-06-24-09-22-57.png and killed another at 10 yards when I thought he crested a ridge on Mr after a 2 mile stalk....I said $#it! and he stood up like a goper in front of me and promptly caught a 375h&h in the middle of the chest.

Both were as exciting as I need in my life.

Not exactly a charging bear but killed a 275 lb. black bear running straight at me. Fired five shots out of a 30.06, first four solid hits in the chest just below the head at under 50 yards. Fifth shot through both lungs at 7 yards when he turned broadside at last second.

Shocked to say the least and nervous as hell when he didn't stop at fourth shot. Could not imagine I was missing at that range as he filled the scope. Turns out I wasn't missing.

This was not my first bear and want to say they can be some tough critters at times.

We were pushing laurel thickets and I do not think the bear knew I was there.

That was very interesting, looks like the old 44 mags do the trick just fine.

I was looking at ruger alaskans in 44 and researching rifles for areas I hunt, mostly heavily timbered areas and would like to upgrade this fall to a "do it all" rifle, I was looking at a 375 H&H but I was wondering if that was overkill for a lower 48 grizzly.

This thread should be interesting once the Alaska natives start chiming in more.
I can give my thumbs up on the Ruger Alaskan Redhawk in 44 Mag. Not because it has felled a charging bear, but it is easily the easiest high power pistol I have shot. Heck, my 11 year old son can handle it with no problem. Granted, neither one of us were facing a charging bear, but the pistol is easy to shoot and hit targets at close range.

I had a Ruger SBH in 44 Mag. and hated shooting the thing for many reasons so it was quickly sold once I shot the Alaskan.

If you are in Phoenix, PM me and you are welcome to take my Alaskan out to shoot.

Great thread and good luck,

Eddie

Back