Who's actually killed a charging bear?

Few years back got charged by wounded black bear in medicine bow nf. Came out from under under fallen tree at less than 10yds but I had rifle in hand, scoped dialed down and in hand. 1st shot went in through bottom jaw and that it piled it up. Round clipped spine. I still put two more rounds into it. Definitely pucker pucker. Been charged repeatedly by pigs in Texas. Running corbon on both 9 and 10mm. Both work but it is the usual issue of something being dead on its feet and just not knowing it and what it decides it wants to do with those last 30 seconds before it goes dark. Unless you hit something between the eyes it can still keep coming. I have seen pigs hit through both lungs with a 308 get back up and charge. Had a pig was dead on its feet try to run my buddy over and it took two more rounds to anchor it.

Whatever you do get out and practice idpa or something like it that will make you shoot under some type of stress. Shoot from the holster you will carry hunting until it is muscle memory.

Julius K

FNG
I've been involved in 3 DLP brown bear killings (two were killed at the same time, so only two different incidences), but only one was with a pistol. A brown bear that initiated a charge from about 30' away, give or take, and shot with a .500 S&W, 440gr. hard cast bullet.
Was that on kodiak as well? I remember reading somewhere a while back about the duo of bears harassing you guys down there

Wrench

WKR
I've been involved in 3 DLP brown bear killings (two were killed at the same time, so only two different incidences), but only one was with a pistol. A brown bear that initiated a charge from about 30' away, give or take, and shot with a .500 S&W, 440gr. hard cast bullet.

Did you ring for a while on the 500 shot? I just shot my 460 yesterday and it set off a ring in my ears even with plugs in.

Did you ring for a while on the 500 shot? I just shot my 460 yesterday and it set off a ring in my ears even with plugs in.

Yeah, and I’m pretty sure it probably caused some permanent damage. My .500 only has a 2 3/4” barrel, so no break, and I’m sure that helps a little bit with how loud it is, but obviously still not advisable to shoot without ear protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werty

WKR
Long story short, shot a wounded grizzly with a 12 pump with buckshot at maybe 15yds, broadside. Bear was not aggressive, but wasn't waiting to find out. Brother came up behind me with 300 win or something bigger to kill it. I put at least 4 round into her. She didn't react to any of my shots. When we skinned her, most if not all pellets stop in fat.
Also, wasn't my idea to have buckshot. Transporter suggested it since going after wounded bear, this is really thick country.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Been apart of a few hair raising experiences. All
I can say from my takeaways with them is: choose your bear protection and know it inside and out and ALWAYS have it accessible. Underneath a rain layer, in a pack lid, strapped to your pack are all ways bear protection will not help you. It happens FAST, and most times isn’t predictable, otherwise we’d always avoid said situation. Practice with the bear gun often and be confident in it. Encounters don’t happen often but when they do you’ll want to be prepared. Both my experiences I didn’t have time to unholster a pistol, I was fortunate enough to have my rifles on me when shit went down both times. A black bear and a brown.

Knowing when you’re in a bad spot and trusting your 6th sense is what put the odds in my favor each time. Use what’s between your ears, it’s far more valuable than anything else.

BAKPAKR

WKR
The bear in the photo below was not “charging,” but it was running full speed, directly at me and my predator call. It wasn’t the bear I was calling to across the draw and it surprised me coming in from about 8:00 behind me. As soon as I saw it, everything seemed to go into slow motion. I can remember my first thought was, “Shoot it in the head!” That was immediately replaced with, “Just shoot it!!” He was probably within 10 yards when I first shot him.

Luckily, the bear turned at the first shot and started running down the hill off to one side of me. I continued shooting and he went down right at the edge of the meadow, but only after traveling quite a bit farther than the distance that had separated us at the first shot. So, had he been intent on getting to me, I suspect he would have. I am glad it was a black bear and not a grizzly. I was shooting a 44 with some flavor of 240 gr JHP or JSP.

43A22A96-D6E3-4620-BA90-A7258AD8EA6B.jpeg

Phil Shoemaker has killed at least one (recently), and probably had to finish off others, given that he has guided Alaska brown bear and griz hunters for decades. But, I don't think he is on Rokslide...you may be able to find the story about the one he killed recently on a salmon stream at 7 yards or so.

If you're thinking about a .375, maybe also consider a .338 with a 24 inch barrel, might have a little more range with the proper bullets and load (for deer/elk, not saying take long shots at bears).

And if you're serious about bear prep, I would also suggest some practice going from a shouldered/slung rifle with no round in the chamber, to shooting a target about 15 to 20 yards away as fast as you can. It will quickly show some weak links in how we might carry our rifles not helping in a rapid fire situation (i.e., have scope on lowest power possible, have scope caps off, and have safety (on bolt guns) in the fire position if the chamber is empty).

Same thing for the pistol, practicing clearing and firing quickly at a close target.

I take a .338 WinMag and a S&W 629 in .44 Mag for my remote Alaska hunts, but the closest we have come is having a young bear run through camp about 35-40 yards away. That doesn't really count as close. We have never had to shoot one, and hope it stays that way.
Good suggestion on practicing getting shots off quickly. For my trip to Kodiak this fall, I picked up the target below. Have to get your rifle unsoldered, round chambered and get a CNS hit. Fun.
1618796466375.png

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
Damn. Appreciate all the replies, some interesting stories to take in as well. Glad no one got hurt, stay safe out there.

As for me, I tend to keep my rifle in my hand at all times unless I'm tending to a downed animal, it's almost never on my shoulder. That said, I tend to hunt heavily timbered areas and have walked right up on grizz tracks and walked up on black bears, after seeing so many recently I am definitely nervous now.

Grizz are becoming more common in Idaho, actually had 2 hunters charged and attacked last archery season not far from where I'll be hanging a few cameras soon.

Wrench

WKR
Been apart of a few hair raising experiences. All
I can say from my takeaways with them is: choose your bear protection and know it inside and out and ALWAYS have it accessible. Underneath a rain layer, in a pack lid, strapped to your pack are all ways bear protection will not help you. It happens FAST, and most times isn’t predictable, otherwise we’d always avoid said situation. Practice with the bear gun often and be confident in it. Encounters don’t happen often but when they do you’ll want to be prepared. Both my experiences I didn’t have time to unholster a pistol, I was fortunate enough to have my rifles on me when shit went down both times. A black bear and a brown.

Knowing when you’re in a bad spot and trusting your 6th sense is what put the odds in my favor each time. Use what’s between your ears, it’s far more valuable than anything else.

My wife and kids were with me the day I shot the one in the picture. My wife was mad because I "HAD" to find my "special holster". When packing 1911's I prefer a specific holster.....because my brain goes autopilot with it......thank goodness.

huntnful

WKR
My dad killed a charging boar grizzly in Montana at 7 yards with his 300 WM. He was elk hunting and the bear had stalked/followed him for about a mile before catching up to him. Huge shit show and investigation to follow. He was found not guilty of intentionally killing the bear when they positively tested the bears face for gun powder residue. It was clear as day a charge and self defense, but the game warden was a joke. The aftermath is all documented on VHS from 1997'. We watch it still sometimes. Bullet entered in the mouth and ran down 2 feet of spine. DRT. Good thing too.

CZp-01

FNG
I saw this post and thought of my late brother who passed almost three years ago.

My brother Tom was an Alaskan bushman most of my life. He left Massachusetts for California in the 80's an eventually called Alaska home. He was a guide in the bush. We would chat occasionally and he would tell me many stories of the things he did or his adventures.

He was also a very talented photographer/videographer. He traveled the world taking beautiful pictures of all kinds of wildlife. I love watching wildlife on TV and always enjoyed when Tom would send me DVD's of his most recent work.

Looking at some of the pictures he would send me, I asked myself how a man with such big balls could move so fast from them Grizzlies.

The Stag shots are from Switzerland I believe.

I'm not a hunter, but I am a gun enthusiast. I shot USPSA before I starting shooting PRS and enjoy the active movement and competition side of the sport.

I joined this forum to read about other aspect of our community.

Maybe, by me stopping by and sharing a couple of his pictures somebody here would know him.

Thanks for having me,

RIP Tom
you're truly missed

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1618799760668.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618799760668.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 255
  • FB_IMG_1618798459976.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618798459976.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 289
  • FB_IMG_1618798465867.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618798465867.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 291
  • FB_IMG_1618798471005.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618798471005.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 286
  • FB_IMG_1618799793317.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618799793317.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 264
  • FB_IMG_1618800061448.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618800061448.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 251
  • FB_IMG_1618800064801.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618800064801.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 242
  • FB_IMG_1618800114921.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618800114921.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 232
  • FB_IMG_1618800182601.jpg
    FB_IMG_1618800182601.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:

Marble

WKR
My hunting partner killed one in the late 90s. Stepped out of the cabin because a bear was getting into the meat. There was a deck he stepped onto and the bear stood up and roared about 15-20' away. He shot from the hip with a low base bird shot. Bear ran off the deck and into a tree 50' away and was dead.

I remember him saying he didn't think the low power round would do much. But it was devastating.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
I don't think there's such thing as overkill on a grizzly that's charging you. Lol
I should have been more specific, because you make a good point. More specifically, I wanted a sort of do it all one and done rifle purchase for Idaho, and with a 375 from my research, that limits my yardage on shot distance. I do feel it would absolutely smoke a charging grizz, which is why I first looked into them.

For the most part I kill all my animals with a 30-06, but I am looking to finally pony up and move on from that.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
I saw this post and thought of my late brother who passed almost three years ago.

My brother Tom was an Alaskan bushman most of my life. He left Massachusetts for California in the 80's an eventually called Alaska home. He was a guide in the bush. We would chat occasionally and he would tell me many stories of the things he did or his adventures.

He was also a very talented photographer/videographer. He traveled the world taking beautiful pictures of all kinds of wildlife. I love watching wildlife on TV and always enjoyed when Tom would send me DVD's of his most recent work.

Looking at some of the pictures he would send me, I asked myself how a man with such big balls could move so fast from them Grizzlies.

The Stag shots are from Switzerland I believe.

I'm not a hunter, but I am a gun enthusiast. I shot USPSA before I starting shooting PRS and enjoy the active movement and competition side of the sport.

I joined this forum to read about other aspect of our community.

Maybe, by me stopping by and sharing a couple of his pictures somebody here would know him.

Thanks for having me,

RIP Tom
you're truly missed
My condolences, sorry for your loss and appreciate sharing those photos.

Juneau07

FNG
I was charged in SE Alaska by a brown bear a few years ago. I was putting a stock on a bear we saw on a beach just to check him out. Turns out he had killed a moose on the beach and didn’t want to be checked out. It was flat ass calm on the stock so wind was a guess. Apparently he caught my scent when I got into about 50 yards. He was in a large boulder field so I wasn’t able to see him the entire stock. At the 50 yard mark he stood up, let a growl rip, put his ears back, head down and flat out came at me. I was as ready as I could be (luckily) and got the crosshairs on center mass and let one rip with my 375hh kimber Talkeetna. I dumped him but as bears do he ran/crawled in a circle growling, biting and swatting at the ground. I put the next one in his head..... and the one after that. Those things are scary when they get mad. I counted 12 steps to the bear once he stopped moving. Got a lot closer than I would have liked. They’re fast, even when your ready to see one.

Attachments

• 2D81BD98-4B93-4DDB-A815-92D1BE8C235A.jpeg
    2D81BD98-4B93-4DDB-A815-92D1BE8C235A.jpeg
    387.3 KB · Views: 260

AKBorn

WKR
I should have been more specific, because you make a good point. More specifically, I wanted a sort of do it all one and done rifle purchase for Idaho, and with a 375 from my research, that limits my yardage on shot distance. I do feel it would absolutely smoke a charging grizz, which is why I first looked into them.

For the most part I kill all my animals with a 30-06, but I am looking to finally pony up and move on from that.
Your text above is why I suggested considering the .338 WinMag. Could load the rifle with 250 grain or 300 grain bullets when you're in the thick stuff or feeling like bears are around. Could also carry 210 grain bullets that would serve you well to 400 yards or so with practice, for longer shots on elk or deer.