Why are people cutting barrels off

TaperPin

WKR
Out of curiosity can you name a few "top rifle manufacturers" who would laugh at us?
Even though many popular things aren’t my personal taste, every rifle designer should spend times here. Designers could only dream of coming up with ideas that are popular here, before everyone else. Being an opinionated bunch makes Roksliders much more in tune to what works and is popular than many professional designers, which are often just wholesalers who put their two cents in and the brand manager takes it all in and comes up with something barely an improvement and lagging behind the trend. Look at how long it has taken for 223 and 22-250 bolt action rifles to have 1:8 or 1:7.5 twist.

Why would a discussion about barrel length turn into such a display of douchbaggery? Maybe cut all the fudd-this fudd-that nonsense, and everyone who’s testosterone level or sexual orientation is tied to anything involving an inanimate object seek some kind of counseling. Or, just stop being pricks to strangers on the internet (both sides). Merry frickin Christmas.
Internet d**k measuring contest. Mostly talk spewed by guys who don’t have meaningful experience or couldn’t back up even half of what they say.

Lowg08

WKR
I had no clue it was a fad or actually a common practice. I just go rabbit irritated trying to get through Laurel thickets in the dark and getting hung up all the time. I went and had a discussion with a trusted gun smith. After the conversation. I decided with his advice to cut mine down. I have no intention of cutting down my 44 mag. It’s a 22 inch barrel.

ljalberta

WKR
Suppressors are not legal in Canada, but ever since using an 18.5” barrel, all my rifles are getting shorties. It is just so much nicer to handle and maneuver when going through anything even mildly dense.

Stalker69

WKR
Have any hunted with a hand gun, when it’s thick brush and I know my shots are going to be relatively close I carry a pistol ( size depends on what I am after). Or if a bit longer shots, a scoped 15” inch encore of various caliber. I find it far easier getting through thick stuff, and quicker to react then any rifle. Rabbits to elk, so far. I mean you cant get much shorter, if short is what your after.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9.1

WKR
18" barrels seem to be the most economical for me to buy. This is how I plan builds:
1: pick a distance I want to kill something
2: pick a bullet
3: pick a cartridge that will launch the bullet fast enough from an 18" barrel that it will have sufficient impact velocity for good expansion