Why Carry a Sidearm?

Where are you hunting?

If it's just black bears any good modern 9mm is your best bet. I have a very strong preference for Glocks or other reliable striker fired pistol with NO EXTERNAL SAFETY. Supposedly 16% of guns "jam" during bear encounters. More like 16% of people are incompetent and couldn't get the safety off when their hands started shaking. Check out GarandThumb on YouTube titled "Which pistol should I get?" Dude's a long time SF guy and a great teacher, he'll fill you in better than I can in a short post.

9mm is cheaper, holds more rounds, and works as well as anything against people with good ammo. Only difference for bears would be I would go from JHP to some sort of hard cast for increased penetration. Basically you'd be good with just an ammo swap.

If it's Grizzly country I would suggest saving up and getting 2 guns as the requirements are very different. Personally if I could carry (Canadian) I'd have a Glock in 10mm for the balance between penetration, volume of fire, ease of use, and magazine capacity. All handguns suck at "stopping power" compared to rifles regardless of caliber (cue the triggered 1911 muh .45 2 World War fanboys here).

If you're dead set on one pistol to do both it might be the one time I'd recommend .40 S&W. It definitely wouldn't be my first choice with the Grizzlies here but you also aren't throwing spitballs either.

Living in NJ it’s illegal to carry. I have so far hunted in Colorado and depending on what happens with this virus will be back again in September. I hope to also get to Montana.

In NJ we can’t have a magazine greater than 10 rounds without committing a felony. Thank you Governor Murphy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am not much of a gun guy. I have killed over 150 deer with a bow and one with a rifle. I sold my only firearm a Browning BPS almost 30 years ago because I liked bowhunting better than gun hunting.

I wanted to get a pistol for my first elk hunt last year but living in the Republic of NJ it took almost 3 months to get a firearms ID card and a pistol permit. I got that about 10 days before the trip. By that time I felt it would be more of a detriment with little to no time to get familiar with the gun before the trip.

So now I ask if someone were to get a single pistol for personal protection in the backcountry and at home what would be your recommendation?

I think you can’t go wrong with a 10mm at home or in the woods. The question is what kind of package you want it in. For durability, reliability and weight I don’t think you could go wrong with a Glock. They are on the less expensive end of the spectrum as well.

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
Living in NJ it’s illegal to carry. I have so far hunted in Colorado and depending on what happens with this virus will be back again in September. I hope to also get to Montana.

In NJ we can’t have a magazine greater than 10 rounds without committing a felony. Thank you Governor Murphy

As long as you have the budget to train with it is argue a 10mm would be good all around in a capacity restricted state.

Strongly recommend a weapon light for home defence/bears as many encounters will be in the dark.

Just be aware that with increased recoil and muzzle rise you'll need to practice and develop very strong fundamentals to be effective.

Good luck!

I'm never far from my G19 and carry it bow hunting all the time. Just like having it with me. But I mostly stand hunt so it dosnt bother me much. Keep it in my pack when I'm sitting.

Beendare

WKR
You can pick up a 10mm Glock for around $550. Pretty tough to beat that.
Yeah, some guys just don't like Glocks.

I used to be one of them until I took a CQB class from a group of legit instructors- one a retired Seal. Their explanation went something like this; once you can shoot a Glock, you can shoot anything. So I spent some time and a few cases of ammo....now I really like Glocks. Those guys were right on the money, IME.

I've come to appreciate the high bore axis and grip angle....helps you get high on the gun.

Sure they are ugly......if you care about that stuff. My Glocks see a lot of kydex holster work...I don't have to worry if they get a little dinged up.

____

pirogue

WKR
In grizzly/brown bear country, for sure. Elsewhere, I rely on my bow. If I carried everything I could need, I'd never make it far from the truck.
Obviously, many haven’t hunted the SW desert, near the border, where drug runners and illegals are present.

MattB

WKR
Obviously, many haven’t hunted the SW desert, near the border, where drug runners and illegals are present.

I used to hunt in SE AZ for a week in January every year. Never carried a firearm and never had a problem. Some guys are just more high strung than others.

rclouse79

WKR
Took my 10 mm glock when solo bear hunting. In the event of getting a shot, I would opt for 15 rounds as fast as I can pull the trigger with the possibility of bumping into a wounded bear at close range.

Beendare

WKR
I used to hunt in SE AZ for a week in January every year. Never carried a firearm and never had a problem. Some guys are just more high strung than others.

Yeah me too...the border guys used to shake their heads saying we were nuts for not having a sidearm. It makes a difference where in relation to the border you are- too.

The school of thought then was- no weapon and if you do bump into drug runners....they won't bug you since you aren't armed. I've had that happen.

That was then [10 years ago] Now IMO the situation has changed. Violence has escalated. I wouldn't hunt that area within a couple miles of the border now- its the Wild West- just not worth it. Ranchers started shooting drug mules. The mules started defending themselves when just 15 years ago none of them were armed. Gangs moved in controlling a lot of the traffic- its ugly.

I do think the vast majority of bowhunts a guy is fine without a sidearm...but I've been seeing enough things change to the point where now I pack a pistol in cases where I didn't bother in the past.

______

Last edited:

TX_Diver

WKR
Was there a link to the story I missed (also to the graphic content? unless it's the guys face but can't really tell).

Interested in reading the story based on all the comments...

Wow this post is crazy. Eye opener for.

I see a lot of people mentioning 10mm. I do have a g20 and have carried buffalo bore 180 grain XTP in grizzly country in montana. However, I feel that I need something more powerful. I am currently looking at getting a 455 casul raging hunter. I feel if it happens it's going to be quick and that one shot better have shocking power.

FlyGuy

WKR
I typically don’t carry a sidearm (everyday, or when hunting with either archery or rifle). I’ve had a Glock 40 for about 30 years now, carried it on the very first day of my first archery elk hunt. Left it back at camp the rest of the week. Bought a 480 Ricardo Alaskan for a bear hunt in Grizzly country a few years back. It’s cool as Hell but not much fun to shoot.

But, I bought one of those Sig P365 9mm a few weeks back and I’m really liking that thing. I don’t have my TX LTC yet so I don’t carry it concealed, but I’ve been taking it with me on hikes into the NF the last few weeks and it’s nice to have. It’s pretty dang light, so I’m now thinking, “why not?”. I usually don’t hunt anywhere close to Griz, so 9mm is plenty enough for my needs. May look into some buffalo bore Ammo for it.

You can’t cheat the mountain

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Wow this post is crazy. Eye opener for.

I see a lot of people mentioning 10mm. I do have a g20 and have carried buffalo bore 180 grain XTP in grizzly country in montana. However, I feel that I need something more powerful. I am currently looking at getting a 455 casul raging hunter. I feel if it happens it's going to be quick and that one shot better have shocking power.

Before you spend a bunch of money on a thumper caliber revolver, I'd try shooting one first. Not just on a static range, either- try a drill simulating a predator attack, such as turning 180 degrees, drawing and firing as many rounds into a 2'x 2' square as possible in under 3 seconds. Just my opinion, but I'd estimate close to 90% of people would be much more effective with a 10mm semi than any of the big bore revolvers.

But, what you carry isn't as important as proficiency, and proficiency isn't as important as situational awareness. Those two together are what keep you from being a viral instagram post, whether it's Grizzlies, Lions, drug runners or whatever else.

Yeah me too...the border guys used to shake their heads saying we were nuts for not having a sidearm. It makes a difference where in relation to the border you are- too.

The school of thought then was- no weapon and if you do bump into drug runners....they won't bug you since you aren't armed. I've had that happen.

That was then [10 years ago] Now IMO the situation has changed. Violence has escalated. I wouldn't hunt that area within a couple miles of the border now- its the Wild West- just not worth it. Ranchers started shooting drug mules. The mules started defending themselves when just 15 years ago none of them were armed.

I do think the vast majority of bowhunts a guy is fine without a sidearm...but I've been seeing enough things change to the point where now I pack a pistol in cases where I didn't bother in the past.

______
I was hunting javelina in 36B this past February. Since I've seen so much sign down there over the years, this is one place that I always have a sidearm with me even if I have a rifle.

To make a long story short...
I had a very up close and personal encounter with a north-bound group. The north-bound group was not in the US looking for work nor were they importing "medicinal" products. The group did splinter and one part would not leave me. They stayed close (few yards) despite me having a firearm in the ready position. They intently watched every move I made and did everything they could to get me to let my guard down or get too close. They would not leave. It was nerve wracking waiting on BP with not knowing where the other part of the group is as well as hoping that the remnants do not bum rush me. Once BP showed up they were very interested in the tattoos on the individuals. I honestly believe that the outcome would have been different if I were unarmed.

Despite that I still love hunting the southern units. Looking forward to chasing Coues again later this year assuming I get drawn.

Terrapin

WKR
I carry a handgun because it makes me more comfortable. I always hunt alone, and I’ve been very happy I’ve had it on multiple occasions. I have a variety of handguns, but a beat up stainless steel 45 auto has the most miles. I shoot it good and it’s proven reliable over 25 years. I’ve had to kill some stuff with it and 230 grain hollow points have been instantly lethal even on black bears. I dropped down to a 9mm for a couple years, but felt undergunned.

Payback

FNG
When I recommend a handgun to a new owner I typically recommend a revolver. They’re reliable and simple. Your immediate action if it doesn’t go bang is to pull the trigger again. Perfect response for a new owner in a stressful situation. The only perceived downside is they tend to be heavier and don’t have the 15+ round capacity people seem to think they require. The weight MIGHT be an issue if you’re wanting to take them on long walks in the woods. The round count is mostly keyboard commandos measuring dick sizes.

If you think you’ll have the time and funds to practice your malfunction drills, then a semi-auto might be in order. My P365 fits me well, is light, and the more vertical grip helps me get on target faster.

I also own Glocks. They’re the crescent wrench of the handgun world. Ugly, uncomfortable, but you’re going to have a hard time finding a situation they don’t work with. Can’t recommend them enough.

Also, I recommend you stick with standard, low pressure rounds. Like 9mm, 45 ACP, etc. 10mm is expensive and typically doesn’t produce the terminal performance most people give it credit for. My 2 cents.