Why is .338 wm ammo impossible to find?

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m well aware of the shortage, but hell, 6.5 prc is easier to find. I probably should’ve examined this before I built the rifle but never thought it would be an issue. Now I’ve got a sweet new custom rifle and no ammo. I really don’t want to gear up to reload this one either. I don’t get it. The venerable.338 wm is not the hot new girl, not exciting or sexy. Yet it’s far from obsolete too. So why on earth is ammo so hard to find for it? AmmoSeek.com does not show one single offering available in the caliber.

In the event someone has a line on some Barnes Vor-tx 225 gr TTSX, I would be forever grateful!

Reactions: WRM
The main reason is that most bullet manufacturers only make one or two runs of .338 bullets every year. If I were to guess, those runs have not happened in the past two years as they are making double (or more) runs of .308, 6.5, and .223 just meet the demands of the rounds that take those bullets. Why stop production and change out all of the dies when the bullets you are producing are flying out the door faster than you can make them?

I bought a 338 WM for a hunt in the Yukon this year. Yes, ammo and components is very frustrating. I found two boxes of Barnes Vortx 210s, which thankfully shoot great out of my gun. I'm loading 250 partitions with decent results.

I'd really like the opportunity to buy more factory ammo.

Woitey

FNG
I went through this two years ago. My rifle simply loves Vor Tx 225 grainers. I don't believe I could handload it's equal. When Remington went under for the final time and got split up, I realized much to my horror, Vor Tx disappeared. As it was under the Remington umbrella. I spent three days on the internet buying every box I could find. Ended up 900 dollars poorer and was able to get a total of 300 rounds. It will be a lifetime supply for me. It has simply vanished since then. Sierra is supposed to have brought back the Vor Tx line, but I haven't seen anything in the 338 Win Mag.

Sportsman’s in Murrieta CA has some according to their web site. Their Tucson location has the 210.

Not much help…

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I can’t imagine having a 338wm and not hand loading for it.
I'm beginning to come to grips with this. I do reload, but not because I enjoy it. If a gun will shoot a factory offering I like well, I'll hit that easy button. This gun loves that factory offering and the specs are all I could ask for.

I'm beginning to come to grips with this. I do reload, but not because I enjoy it. If a gun will shoot a factory offering I like well, I'll hit that easy button. This gun loves that factory offering and the specs are all I could ask for.
This is me regarding reloading these days. I did buy a box of 225 TTSX off Midway yesterday.

hodgeman

WKR
Sales of anything about .30 gets pretty small. Even in AK, the .338 is getting more uncommon to see in the field and on the shelf.

20 years ago it was as common as dirt in the Greatland.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I used to shoot a lot of 338 and ammo was expensive even back when ammo was cheap. I could load it and have better stuff for less than factory ammo cost. I generally enjoy reloading though so that helps.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I used to shoot a lot of 338 and ammo was expensive even back when ammo was cheap. I could load it and have better stuff for less than factory ammo cost. I generally enjoy reloading though so that helps.
I dont mind reloading, I just don't like the load development and experimentation part. I dont have a convenient range. Once I find what works and I like the specs, I'm done. Even $70 a box ammo is cheaper than multiple trips to the range to test and proof a load.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I dont mind reloading, I just don't like the load development and experimentation part. I dont have a convenient range. Once I find what works and I like the specs, I'm done. Even $70 a box ammo is cheaper than multiple trips to the range to test and proof a load.

Last box I saw on the shelf was closer to 100/box.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Paid $71.99

Should have bought as much as you could afford at the moment, I doubt it will be that price again. About a year ago, I went into a store and there was 8 boxes of 375HH Ammo on the shelf for about 75 bucks/box. Even though I didn’t want to spend the money, I bought all of it. Glad I did, just for sighting in and to have the brass.

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
Should have bought as much as you could afford at the moment, I doubt it will be that price again. About a year ago, I went into a store and there was 8 boxes of 375HH Ammo on the shelf for about 75 bucks/box. Even though I didn’t want to spend the money, I bought all of it. Glad I did, just for sighting in and to have the brass.
If you need solids

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I bought all they had, unfortunately that was only 5 boxes.