Why Kuiu?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
KUIU came out at the opportune time for me. I had blown through some Sitka Gear stuff. Sitka covered me with brand new replacements that I sold. I had some funds and was looking to re-stock. I had experimented with a few things and was running with some cheapo hiking pants, some Patagonia Rain Gear, and a MontBell Thermawrap Parka. It worked, but not all of it was exactly what I wanted. I started reading the KUIU blog and commenting and ended up winning a Chugach jacket. Was darn impressed with it and purchased a pair of the Attack pants. Further impressed I've slowly added a piece here and there as needed.

I have always wanted to try 1st Lite merino, but its always out of stock. : ) Seems like quality companies have a hard time with inventory control.

My hunting brands (for clothing) vary, but if I could only list 5 it would be as follows (in no order):

KUIU
1st Lite
Smartwool
Cabela's
Patagonia

What I like about the hunting specific companies is that my dollars go to a pro-hunting outfit that donates to support hunting rights. Not so the case with the Patagonia's of the world.. :)

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I do have to say that i am impressed with Cabelas gear for the price.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I only have a few Kuiu items, but for me is because its very high quality stuff at a more reasonable price than Sitka.

When you find Sitka on sale its down near retail price for Kuiu. When Kuiu puts their stuff on sale.....well you can't help but buy it :D

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Mike7, I would love to see the attack shirt. Hell, I would love to see the Guide pants!

I have many of the Kuiu pieces and I am very satisfied with them.

I have the Pittard gloves, Beanie, neck gaitor, merino 250 top, bottoms, attack pants and guide jacket. I have used some sitka and I like the ascent pants and kuiu attack pants equally well. For me, It was important to cut down on bulk and weight for my back pack bow hunting.

I am using the Russell APXg2 rain outterwear (jacket and pants) and I've noticed they are not as compact and "pack friendly." I am looking to replace these and I have heard good things about the Kuiu. I am not a fan of the Sitka pack lite rain gear, because how I use gear they are noisy and get shredded with my use.

I am very happy with my upgrade to Kuiu. The one thing I noticed is the sytem was cold without the merino wool. (I had formerly used synthetics - not a big deal in early season, but worse in later season or snow). I added the Primaloft ONE to my system and I am happy with weight and compactness. The Sitka primaloft is the sport version. Kuiu spindrift is Primaloft ONE 80 g but the Russell primaloft ONE is 100 in body and 60g in arms and back. Still goes to show you need to compare apples to apples and not be brand blind.

Starting to understand what you guys meant by customer service. I have called Kuiu 3 times and always got a person. I went with sitka for rain gear because it saved me 200$. The first time I called them I got ahold of someone but since then I have been calling for 3 days and even left a message and still havent been able to get a person.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Starting to understand what you guys meant by customer service. I have called Kuiu 3 times and always got a person. I went with sitka for rain gear because it saved me 200$. The first time I called them I got ahold of someone but since then I have been calling for 3 days and even left a message and still havent been able to get a person.

That stinks... Sitka did not used to be like that. I had some pretty serious issues with their first couple generations of gear. They were ALWAYS helpful and had new stuff shipped out ASAP. I switched to KUIU as the prices on Sitka went up and have not looked back. KUIU is my go to gear place now. We had a little April snow shower today and I was out wearing my VIAS Guide Jacket around town and had a few guys come up and ask me about the gear. I think they are headed back to their computers to make some orders!! :)

Kuiu is very supportive of the hunting industry, as is Sitka. Both make good products. Sitka is a Gore company, which means they will sell products associated with Gore, whereas Kuiu is independent, smaller and they can get materials from a variety of suppliers. Because they are smaller and sell direct, they can also change and be innovative, that much quicker. The owner, Jason and his right hand man, Brendan, are very serious hunters and also very hard workers. They are great at networking with hunters and share a real passion for the industry. You will likely see many new things from them in the future. I wore much of their clothing last year and it was excellent. It is not "better" than Arcteryx or Patagonia, but their price is better, they offer better colors and of course, they are a hunting oriented company, not a greeney company. You can also get either Camo or Non-camo from Kuiu, which is a big selling point. As far as I know, their products are sewn in BC, Canada, not overseas in China. This is another important point for me as I'd rather support N.A. companies. Right now, their product line is small, but will continue to grow. Their pack is good for minimalists and guys who are not abusive. Don't expect to put 125 lbs in this pack and roll it down the mount or use it for a seat as it is not strong enough for that. I'm sure they will make a stronger/bigger pack in the future. Expect to see constant improvement and product innovation from them in the future. I would not hesitate to recommend Kuiu to hunters. They are a good company.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
You summed it up well.. I like the small nimble company over the bigger outfit.. Maybe that is because I work for a big company that I wish was more nimble!! : )

Last edited:
For those of you that don't like the Kuiu vias camo, I have a question. On sitka's web page they state that many camo patterns "block out" in longer distances and reveal the human form. It also says that the camo is designed for distances over 60 meters? I have not noticed any problems with my sitka pattern, but it hardly sounds like a bow hunting application, yet many have successfully used the pattern. I know many old timers have used buffalo plaid successfully and in europe they used "tweeds" for cammo. I think we have been spoiled with the really vast amount of choices and environment specific cammo available.

For me, the kuiu and sitka and russell have not only saved weight, but primarlily space in my pack. My cabelas microtex doesn't compress as well as the mountain specific clothes.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
VIAS took a while to grow on me.. I never was a camo guy until Sitka did their 1st Gen with Moth-wing Mt Mimicry. That stuff worked well and it appealed to me. Never did get a full system before they went to the new scheme, and although its seems decent it I just was not 100% sold. VIAS came along and seemed to take what I liked about Cabela's Outfitter camo and lighten it up a bit. I use a mixture of solids, Oufitter Camo, Optifade, and VIAS and it seems to work fine.

And I agree, mountain designed clothes just seem to fit, compress, and wear better in high places....

Lawnboi

WKR

Iv also heard some bad stuff when it comes to sitka and customer service. Another reason ill keep getting kuiu.

I got to get out and use all my kuiu stuff that i have so far this weekend, and it all worked great. I love the attack pants, even over ascents. And now that i just got a pair in 30in its even better! I cant wait to get more, if they keep pumping out stuff like this i will continue to buy.

Sitka did finially call me back yesterday but I couldnt take the call. I called back and got the machine again, so I guess its another 5 day wait for them to call me back.

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
Research KUIU; the materials, the construction, the attention to detail, the price, the customer involvement, the performance, and you will ask, "why anything else?"

Juan_ID

WKR
Research KUIU; the materials, the construction, the attention to detail, the price, the customer involvement, the performance, and you will ask, "why anything else?"
I was just going to say the same thing, KUIU is a top notch company all around! I have worn a few Sitka items and IMO the KUIU is just better "for me." With that said I can't/won't say that Sitka is crap cuz it isn't, I just prefer KUIU over Sitka for the obvious reasons Battle posted... And hopefully I'll have something to show from them here in the next couple months and it'll really make you think about their "customer involvement/ service... ;)

Lukem

WKR
A little late to the KUIU party as I have to spend carefully when I pick my gear..., but got my Guide Jacket in the mail today. Haven't put it through it's paces yet, but am I impressed. The fabric, the fit, the feel of it and I am sold. Now saving my pennies for the Attack pants. ;)

I am similar in size. 5'9 180 and i would say this is some of the best fitting clothes i have found. It has a very athletic cuts for the shirts and pants.