Why not a 33 Nosler?

MCS

FNG
With what bullets would it be better at long range in regards to trajectory/wind than a 300 PRC? The 33 nosler case is shorter to the shoulder than the 30 nosler so its gotta be real close to the 300 PRC in overall case capacity.

The 250 bergers are basically the same BC as a 215 berger and given similar sized cases you'd think the 215 is going to have an edge in velocity.

Just doesn't seem like it would be big enough to shoot the heavy 338 pills that would be a BC improvement over the 30s with much speed.
The speed is very close between the cartridges. I was above 3000 fps when I hit preasure running a 250 and rl26. And I hit preasure just below 3000 with H1000. The 30 nosler will out run the 33 nosler at longer ranges. But the prc doesn't have the case capacity to run heavy bullets as fast.

It's a personal preference to run a 338. When you hit a animal with a 250 grain bullet it has a lot bigger impact then the 215. I have shot animals with both.

B23

WKR
I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with a 33 Nosler other than it's a little short of horsepower compared to cartridges with the same bolt face like the 338 Edge. That certainly doesn't make it bad but it seems like a lot of folks that are stepping up to the .338's want something with more case capacity.

If shooting factory ammo is a necessity then the 33 Nos could be a good choice but if you reload the 338 Edge offers a fair bit more and Shawn w/Defensive Edge has the +P 338 Edge sizzling right along.

In the super mag case head size one of the many different variants of a 338 lapua Improved have become, very, popular.

JakeSCH

WKR
My recommendation would be to go with a bigger 338. I had a similar back and forth two years ago and basically ended up with a custom 338 RUM over a 33 Nosler because I got it at a significant discount (was built for someone else who backed out). I was nervous about the extra recoil but extremely glad I went that route.

My 338 RUM is 9.5 lb in the field (scope, sling, ammo, etc) and while the percussion is significantly more, the recoil is manageable and I can spot my own impacts.

FYI the 338 just hits elk differently then my 300. Visible response is night and day.

Late to the game here but, curious! It seems reasonable with longer throating and peterson brass, the 33 nosler would be the easy replacement for 338 Win. I have yet to hear of someone putting these ”options” to good use, yet! Including myself! Ha

I just received a 33N from my smith and with the scarcity of rl26, he was unable to improve over 338 WM velocity with the 250’s (2750 in a 24”) using several recommended powders at 3.75 COAL and Pete brass.

Im happy with the rifle! Just what I wanted in accuracy, ergonomics, and cool factor! However, I am disappointed that with +/-10 grains of additional powder capacity, adding throat length and tougher brass, the 33 couldn't handily surpass the WM.

I will play with a few other powders after hunting season to see if I can improve performance. While I am waiting on some fairy dust (R26) to become available, any experience, suggestions or new information out there?

additional info; this may be a slow barrel as he attempted a 33-300prc initially and pressured out with 250’s at 2630. I didn’t want to go that route anyway so, had him set it back and rechamber to 33N…

OP
IDShane

IDShane

WKR
I think I have decided to go 338 RUM. I have not ordered anything yet (other than brass) but I am thinking 24" steel barrel, Lone Peak Fuzion action, McMillan stock. I am hoping to shoot 250-265 grain bullets with a focus on Alaskan game.

Late to the game here but, curious! It seems reasonable with longer throating and peterson brass, the 33 nosler would be the easy replacement for 338 Win. I have yet to hear of someone putting these ”options” to good use, yet! Including myself! Ha

I just received a 33N from my smith and with the scarcity of rl26, he was unable to improve over 338 WM velocity with the 250’s (2750 in a 24”) using several recommended powders at 3.75 COAL and Pete brass.

Im happy with the rifle! Just what I wanted in accuracy, ergonomics, and cool factor! However, I am disappointed that with +/-10 grains of additional powder capacity, adding throat length and tougher brass, the 33 couldn't handily surpass the WM.

I will play with a few other powders after hunting season to see if I can improve performance. While I am waiting on some fairy dust (R26) to become available, any experience, suggestions or new information out there?

additional info; this may be a slow barrel as he attempted a 33-300prc initially and pressured out with 250’s at 2630. I didn’t want to go that route anyway so, had him set it back and rechamber to 33N…
What powder got you 2750fps?

338 Norma Mag Improved is what I run. Noticeable increase over the 338WM and no mag length issues.

I can pretty easily hit 3000+ fps with 300 Bergers, N570 and a 28” barrel. It’s a relatively soft shooter considering it’s burning 100 grains of powder and weighs 10.5#. I do have an SRS TiPro 5 port brake on it but have also shot suppressed.

I also have run the 275 grain Badlands Super Bulldozer bullets over 3100fps. The BC on those bullets is insane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
338 Norma Mag Improved is what I run. Noticeable increase over the 338WM and no mag length issues.

I can pretty easily hit 3000+ fps with 300 Bergers, N570 and a 28” barrel. It’s a relatively soft shooter considering it’s burning 100 grains of powder and weighs 10.5#. I do have an SRS TiPro 5 port brake on it but have also shot suppressed.

I also have run the 275 grain Badlands Super Bulldozer bullets over 3100fps. The BC on those bullets is insane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Would you describe the recoil “slower and softer” with the 338 Norma Imp than the 300 mags? The big and sharp recoil of 300s bothers my neck with the 220+ grain bullets.

I wonder if the feel is substantially different

My experience with a 338 win mag and 338 Lapua in factory loads was that the recoil is just different, more like a push than a punch. That was a long time ago.

This thread may make me build another rifle… I keep think about building a 338 in some flavor for a big caliber long range gun for fun/hunting, and the Edge and Norma Imp are top on my list. It would mainly be for fun but there are some spots that I would carry a heavy rifle to the edge of a ridge and hunt elk out to 1000. A 338 shooting those solids or Berger would be killer.

I’ll echo what a lot of others have said, if you want to get into the 338 caliber step up to a Lapua/Lapua improved or something along those lines. It opens up the 265/285/300 class bullets and gives you the speed along with it. I run the 285s in my 338 Lapua and have been very happy with its performance out to 1200.

That must be a slow barrel. I would try some different powder. Maybe even h1000. The 338 prc should out run the 33 nos…. Something doesn’t add up the 338 prc should run the 250’s around 2950 for accuracy and the 33 nos around 2850-2900 in a 26” barrel