Why the 7mm prc hate ?

So I’m genuinely curious as to why there is a lot of hate surrounding these newer PRC calibers such as the 7mm prc? It seems to be extremely polarizing with people either loving it (myself) or people hating the very idea of it. I’ve noticed that most people that don’t seem to like it are reloaders for whatever that’s worth… if it’s not your thing, why not just move on? There are plenty of calibers out there that I’m not interested in but you don’t see me telling people that use those they are wrong for using them…

mt100gr.

WKR
Most of the chatter I have seen/heard about the PRCs is dudes getting all creamed up about them....where are you hearing the hate? The 'C' in PRC doesn't stand for Creedmoor!

There are two camps that make fun of calibers.
1. People who like a different caliber, and are equally emotionally invested in theirs. It's Ford vs Chevy. Whether what one prefers is better or not doesn't matter; their choices are rooted in attachment more than logic. Scientific reasoning wasn't the root for their caliber choice.
2. Objective minded types who don't get emotionally invested in inanimate objects. We simply enjoy watching lesser life forms squirm over their hollow emotional attachments to meaningless objects.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
I haven't heard anyone bash a 7mm prc.

6.5cm on the other hand gets a lot of hate. Justified or not.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

JoeDirt

WKR
Ive not heard anything bad, I think that Hornady really nailed it with the 6.5, 7 and 300 PRC lineup.

7PRC being a standard long action 3.340" length that will fit in a lot of platforms.

All 3,000 ish FPS cartages.

PRCS.jpeg

Macintosh

WKR
7prc is simply the scapegoat in this case for the industry coming up with something that 99.9% of folks arent asking for and dont need. NTTAWW it per se, but to a degree any heavily marketed new product is just a vehicle for marketing for more needless stuff. Some of the needless stuff is exceptionally good, but at its root its just needless stuff when you pile it on top of everything else out there. Thats a cynical and probably short-sighted way to look at it, but to whatever degree chasing that needless stuff is actually harmful—an industry commodifying a lifestyle and activity, making people feel like they cant afford to participate in something, distracting from the important parts (stuff like practice, woodsmanship, conservation, and other things associated with shooting and hunting), etc I think there is at least a grain of truth to it. seems to me much of any “hate” a la the 6.5cm and the new cartridges, is directed at the industry effect on those intangibles that seem to get forgotten as a result of the hype, and the whiz-bang new cartridge is simply the stand-in scapegoat for that effect.

TN2shot07

WKR
I do most of my hunting with a 25-06, 270, or 7mm-08 so a 6.5 prc doesn’t hold any advantages for me. I believe the new 7 prc is as good of an all around cartridge for North America as anything we have and I plan to buy one once I can decide on a rifle.

I agree with the posts above. Some hate is generated from people who don’t like anything new or different.

Most game is harvested at <300 yards, at those normal distances there is no real advantage to these cartridges.

The creedmoor started this craze and the prc’s have built on it. Everything about these cartridges is optimized to their fullest potential (match grade chambers, high bc bullets, powder burn) so they produce above average accuracy in most rifles. It makes shooting longer range easier but also inspires people who have not dedicated the time to develop necessary skills to attempt longer shots on an animal. In my opinion this also generates some of the hate towards these

No hate against a specialty caliber per se, I just wish the ammo companies would abandon these useless calibers and get back to making ammo for the common calibers like they used to.

That’s the real problem we have as far as ammo shortages go. We got too many people wanting too many different things.

If you want a 7 prc get dies and reload for the thing. You’ll need those dies eventually because that caliber will fizzle out just like all the others.

Buzby

WKR
I don't see it as hate. I see it as why another new cartridge with marginal benefit over existing cartridges.

If you really like it, don't refuse to buy due to what others think.
Any cartridge is a marginal benefit over most any other cartridge. We’re pretty much at the peak of metallic cartridge design. We’re looking at evolution not revolution. Marginal benefits are still benefits.

Personally I believe Hornady is killing it. 6.5cm, the PRCs, ELD-M and X. All have proven to be a great part of the evolution.

Last edited:

HuntnPack

WKR
All the PRC offerings are ok for the boxed ammo guy.

Disappointing for the Reloader, but ok once you get the bugs worked out, ie: properly dimensioning of reamer & dies, & quality Brass they’re ok.

There are other existing cartridge offerings that
Work as well or better for the Reloader.
YMMV.

Buzby

WKR
All the PRC offerings are ok for the boxed ammo guy.

Disappointing for the Reloader, but ok once you get the bugs worked out, ie: properly dimensioning of reamer & dies, & quality Brass they’re ok.

There are other existing cartridge offerings that
Work as well or better for the Reloader.
YMMV.
Is this something inherent to the PRCs? I would think it would be the same issues for any new cartridge.

As alluded to above, I think it's the marketing machine behind 'new' chamberings, and accompanying products, that are quite similar to some that already exist. Many view that as redundant and unnecessary and just another way of separating money from your wallet. Understandable.

That said, I don't see the point in getting bent out of shape over it. The existing stuff is still as good as it ever was. I got a 6.5PRC for me and a 6.5CM for my younger son and I'm glad I did. Fantastic cartridges, but they're not magic. As far as the 7PRC goes, if I didn't have two 7mmRM's already, I'd give it a look if I wanted a 7mm. The newer PRC's seem to offer more flexibility than our older chamberings in factory form. No hate here.

Bluefish

WKR
The way I see it, the new cartridges themselves don’t offer anything substantially better. 7 prc vs 7rm, same velocity. same with 260 rem vs 6.5cm. The big advantage is the saami spec allows the use of longer bullets in stock rifles. The long bullets didn’t exist when those cartridges were developed and thus twist rates were slower. Now you need a faster twist to handle the longer bullets and you can’t get that in stock rifles for older cartridge. The new ones, 6.5cm, 6.5 prc, 6 cm, 7 prc all have faster twists per spec. If you built the older cartridges with faster twists and handload, they will equal or exceed performance of the new ones. Look at 6 cm vs 243. Put a fast twist on a 243, throat it a little long and it will shoot the high bc bullets great. Just can’t buy that as a factory rifle or off the shelf ammo.
To a lesser extent pushing the shoulders back is an advancement. The other solution to that would have been longer magazine lengths, but it’s cheaper and easier to move shoulders.

Mag_7s

WKR
I have heard the hate as well, especially within my hunting circle. I've heard it marketed as a 1k yard elk cartridge, which im not a fan of. Is it capable, yes, but i dont agree with the marketing. I think its a great cartridge design, as it is basically an improved and more efficient 7RM. If Hornaday was the only one manufacturing brass, I'd probably pass. Peterson and ADG will be producing, so I think it's a winner and as others have said, it's here to stay.

Just for fun here is some hate...