Wireless Game Cameras

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
Im late to the game of camera systems... looking for a game camera I can put in the field and receive photos from home... unfortunately with a 7 month old kid at home I don’t have time to be driving 2hrs to retrieve camera footage every weekend... anyone have recommendations? Also if there are any good recommendations to mount securely to avoid theft as well... thanks gents

Johnboy

WKR
I've been running the Spartan GoCams for three years with no complaints. However, I picked up a few Spypoint Micro Link cameras this season, and I can't see spending Spartan-level money anymore. I think Spypoint changed the game, and now some of the others are coming out with low budget cell camera options.

OP
Barnesc6

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
@Johnboy - thanks for info, looks like spypoint micro has good reviews... how is image quality?

Johnboy

WKR
Frankly, it's not exceptional. Pics the camera stores on the card are decent; the thumbnails you receive on your phone are good enough to size up what you're looking at. But I think they might now have a feature similar to Spartan where you can queue the camera to send you a higher resolution copy of images you select. It saves on data.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Johnboy

WKR
Speaking of data, it's noteworthy that the Spypoint concept does NOT require the user to piggyback the camera onto an existing personal cell phone data plan as with Spartan cameras. The Spypoint cameras are all mutually exclusive with their own data plan managed through the Spypoint app, which works really slick.

Johnboy

WKR
Here are a few examples in various light conditions.

3f380faf2062a450aa7b88e01cf4e394.jpg

62af91447eb6354791e663e89bd2f303.jpg

ee7abdec23795c30e742b4fab67e1688.jpg

27a36d3f43126778ac900f6de3bc8a28.jpg

Okhotnik

WKR
I assume that my cameras will be stolen ( some have in very remote areas and on private property) so personally try and keep price below $50. Just an fyi if not have much experience with game cams

OP
Barnesc6

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
@Johnboy - def good enough
@Okhotnik - ya I’d love to keep it cheap but I need wireless cams, don’t have time to drive 2hrs one way every few weeks to check out images

I've been running the Spartan GoCams for three years with no complaints. However, I picked up a few Spypoint Micro Link cameras this season, and I can't see spending Spartan-level money anymore. I think Spypoint changed the game, and now some of the others are coming out with low budget cell camera options.

Have you had any reliability issues with the Spypoints? I've thought about buying a few but I've read several comments that they'll work fine for 3 or 4 months and then lots of problems.

Johnboy

WKR
Have you had any reliability issues with the Spypoints? I've thought about buying a few but I've read several comments that they'll work fine for 3 or 4 months and then lots of problems.
I have 5 of them, and all have worked perfectly so far. I run lithium AAs and the battery life is good. I get around 200 photos per month per camera, which isn't a high volume - just for reference. The cell signal is strong where I'm using them. A buddy of mine lives in a weak signal area. His batteries don't last nearly as long.

Here is my 2 cents with SpyPoints. I have 13 SpyPoint micros running currently. 12 of them are within 15 min of my house one is 2 hours away. For the most part they work decently well. However it’s pretty common for one to stop sending pictures. Shows signal and battery are proficient. I have to go to the camera and turn the power on and off and it will start back as usual. So that’s annoying but being so close to most it’s not big of a deal. Currently the one 2 hours away Isn’t sending pictures.

So if it’s not a place you visit frequently I can’t say I’d recommend them for reliability but for the most part they are a good camera and can’t see myself running anything but cell cameras.

mncoolbeans

Lil-Rokslider
I'll Second the Spypoint Micro Link. Been Running Two of them since Mid-October of 2019. Like Previously Mentioned above I'm also using Lithium AA Batteries since putting them out and still have 95% battery life left in both cameras with my Cams being way up in Northern MN with the Extreme Cold Temps. The Big thing is to keep them working is to Visit Spypoint's website for Camera Firmware Downloads and Updates for the Camera and 4G LTE Modems inside. No Complaints here at all.

I have 5 of them, and all have worked perfectly so far. I run lithium AAs and the battery life is good. I get around 200 photos per month per camera, which isn't a high volume - just for reference. The cell signal is strong where I'm using them. A buddy of mine lives in a weak signal area. His batteries don't last nearly as long.

Great thanks. Interesting that the signal strength impacts battery life. I get 2, sometimes 3, signal bars on my cell in the area where I'd put them.

Johnboy

WKR
Great thanks. Interesting that the signal strength impacts battery life. I get 2, sometimes 3, signal bars on my cell in the area where I'd put them.
That's definitely a stronger signal than he has. Even my phone drains quickly when at his house. I don't know this for sure, but my theory on his camera battery life is the weak signal causing the camera to exert more energy searching for signal. Just a theory, for what it's worth.

Grumman

WKR
I had a SPYPOINT micro that worked okay for a couple months. Lots of pics with nothing there then it just quit altogether. I will have to try the firmware updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyleDean

FNG
I have 8 coverts that vary from 1-3 years old. They have had issues every year and covert’s solution is to pay 250 plus to upgrade to the newest model. They are now sitting in a box taking up space. Replaced them all with Spartans this year and have been very happy. Easy to setup, use and give people rights to see the pictures too.

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I have a covert Blackhawk and a spypoint evo. Out of them two I like the Covert better.

cdg097

FNG
I’ve not been too impressed with the SpyPoint Micros. I stop getting pictures and try to do the resets on them, and after speaking with customer service (a pain in the ass in itself), I find I need to do firmware updates. Not convenient due to them being over 2 hours away. Went to do the firmware updates and none of them will accept the update.

I am using some of the Moultrie cell cams as well which update firmware automtically, and those are performing flawlessly.

Johnboy

WKR
@cdg097 - What models of Moultrie cams have you tried? I've been curious about the Moultrie line. Do they have a cheap one that competes with the Micro?