Wool pants

OP
B
Preface: I have run the gamut on wool—KOM, SI, Filson, Silent Predator and others. All expensive and hot for mobile pursuits.
I love wool in all varieties. Unfortunately, wool has sort of lost its place to synthetics in the USA. A lot of the stuff you buy in the us today is mostly too heavy. It’s a damn shame! The European market is still alive and well albeit, very expensive. You can find good-excellent wool hunting apparel in Europe at all price points. Look for brands like jaghund, harkilla, falraven, etc... To your question, I have replaced rip cords with first lite kanabs and Kanab 2.0’s. You can’t buy those new anymore but you can buy obsidians but, for me the obsidians fit like MC Hammer pants. I hear they may have worked that out!

You will probably think I’m crazy but, I bought a pair of harkilla no.6 wool trousers sometime post whipcords that are truly unbelievable. They were nearly $400 but, they get regular and vigorous use over the last 7-8 year’s and are still basically new. Some guys will flip out about the price ($500 today) but, they are solid and will likely outlast me (46 today). Great wool is an investment. Again, there are many, many European companies in tune with wool/merino/shetland. I bought the top shelf model but, their are other options. Good luck!
I looked online for harkila no 6 wool trousers and it looks like they are made by fjallraven? The blend that they list on the website for the fabric is a bit confusing.
Fjällräven › fjallraven-mens-forest-t...
Web results
Shop Fjällräven - Forest Trousers No. 6 M at Fjallraven.com
Are these the ones you have?

I looked online for harkila no 6 wool trousers and it looks like they are made by fjallraven? The blend that they list on the website for the fabric is a bit confusing.
Fjällräven › fjallraven-mens-forest-t...
Web results
Shop Fjällräven - Forest Trousers No. 6 M at Fjallraven.com
Are these the ones you have?
You are correct! Fjällräven no 6. They are shetland wool. They have a fabric over wool in wear areas that is similar to cordura but quieter. Good stuff!

Last edited:

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
I love the military surplus bargains. I’ve been wearing various weights depending on the season since the 70s. The lighter ones are finished like a dress slack. Comfortable in temps ranging from the 20’s (with a base layer & moving) to the 70s.

RoseAllen

Lil-Rokslider
I love the military surplus bargains. I’ve been wearing various weights depending on the season since the 70s. The lighter ones are finished like a dress slack. Comfortable in temps ranging from the 20’s (with a base layer & moving) to the 70s.
Where is the best place to look for surplus wool?

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
A 10 second google search produced pages of online options. Personally, I picked mine up at area military surplus stores as well as at local goodwills, value villages, etc.

Check out Johnson Wool pants.
LL Bean has a nice pair of light wool pants but you should wait til they go on sale.

Check out Johnson Wool pants.
LL Bean has a nice pair of light wool pants but you should wait til they go on sale.
I got some LL Bean ones, Railroad color w/out the wind liner. They are a heavy and rough wool but very durable. That said I don't wear them hunting.

Get the wind liner and a pair of suspenders if your going to wear them hunting and outdoors.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

MrE4853

FNG
I love my kanabs. They work for me from 65 down to 30 and are comfortable to 5 or so degrees with a light base layer. The obsidians are suppose to be even better.

Tower

FNG
The Filson whipcord pants were my go-to for years. Still have them in green and gray, they have small cargo pockets on each thigh. Cabela’s made a knock off for a few years too, and I have a pair of those as well. Filson was making them again for a while but think they have stopped again.

I have since moved on to FL gear but those Filson’s are nearly bombproof. They’ll last for a couple generations.

Never had any Makinaw pants but do have a double Makinaw coat and its very warm but very heavy.

The modern stuff is just better all the way around, IMO

The Filson whipcord pants were my go-to for years. Still have them in green and gray, they have small cargo pockets on each thigh. Cabela’s made a knock off for a few years too, and I have a pair of those as well. Filson was making them again for a while but think they have stopped again.

I have since moved on to FL gear but those Filson’s are nearly bombproof. They’ll last for a couple generations.

Never had any Makinaw pants but do have a double Makinaw coat and its very warm but very heavy.

The modern stuff is just better all the way around, IMO

I’ve always wanted a pair of Filson Mackinaw pants. I’ve heard newer ones aren’t as good as they were in years past. I surf EvilBay for a old pair now and then but can never find my size (42x34”). I can always find them wide enough but not long enough.

Who the hell has a 48" waist with a 20" inseam? I see those on EvilBay all the time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been thinking of picking up the first lite merino pants, just wondering how warm they are? My mil surplus wool pants are to hot if it’s above freezing, even then sometimes to hot if I’m moving lots.

I’ve been thinking of picking up the first lite merino pants, just wondering how warm they are? My mil surplus wool pants are to hot if it’s above freezing, even then sometimes to hot if I’m moving lots.
I have the first lite obsidian and kanabs. They are what I consider very lightweight wool. I own cabelas outfitter wool pants that seem 4x as heavy for reference.
The first lite obsidian are what I consider a very versatile active wear pant

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I have the first lite obsidian and kanabs. They are what I consider very lightweight wool. I own cabelas outfitter wool pants that seem 4x as heavy for reference.
The first lite obsidian are what I consider a very versatile active wear pant
Just what I’m looking for. I had a pair of super light wool slacks, with no liner that finally wore out so I’m trying to replace them which is harder then I thought. Still i will miss hunting in dress pants.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Filson whipcord pants are probably one of the best kept secrets in clothing. A lighter and tighter weave wool- buck wind and light precip very nicely. I can wear these from near 50 above (w/ wool boxers) to below 0 w/ heavier base layers.

I've owned two pairs in 40 years, 2nd pair is still going strong. Early season I wear synthetic pants, but as some as the cold weather arrives I live in the whipcords.

bmf0713

WKR
Just came across brand “big bill” on a website Gostwear? Anyone ever heard of them? Looks like they are made in Canada. Price isn’t too bad.