Worst New Guy from SoCal

Hello fellow hunters and outdoors people,

I'm from SoCal and hunt mostly upland game and mule deer (very unsuccessfully I might add). I have been hunting upland for 25 years starting with the yearly dove trip with Grandpa and adding quail then duck as I got older. I soon started trying to teach myself to deer hunt in this barren land we call SoCal. I enjoy being outdoors, so hunting season is a great reason to get out there.

My oldest son is finally 12 this season and has his first tag in hand for the local mountains and I hope to hit it harder than I ever have to help him be more successful than I have ever been.

I have been lurking this site for a while and never joined because not too much geared towards SoCal specifically, but I finally joined due to the thread I found this week when coming to the conclusion to quit drinking alcohol last week.

Looking forward to the community here and support both hunting and otherwise!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

HbDane

WKR
Hello fellow hunters and outdoors people,

I'm from SoCal and hunt mostly upland game and mule deer (very unsuccessfully I might add). I have been hunting upland for 25 years starting with the yearly dove trip with Grandpa and adding quail then duck as I got older. I soon started trying to teach myself to deer hunt in this barren land we call SoCal. I enjoy being outdoors, so hunting season is a great reason to get out there.

My oldest son is finally 12 this season and has his first tag in hand for the local mountains and I hope to hit it harder than I ever have to help him be more successful than I have ever been.

I have been lurking this site for a while and never joined because not too much geared towards SoCal specifically, but I finally joined due to the thread I found this week when coming to the conclusion to quit drinking alcohol last week.

Looking forward to the community here and support both hunting and otherwise!
Welcome from Wildomar, CA

OP
W
Welcome to Rokslide, also from So Cal, but I manage to fill tags (with the exception of the last couple years due to medical reasons, slowly being taken care of).
Hey Bubble, I recognize your username from another site…from what I remember you out in the work to fill those tags! If you have any tips for a guy who has been trying and I’m willing to put in the work I’m all ears. Happy hunting!

Hey Bubble, I recognize your username from another site…from what I remember you out in the work to fill those tags! If you have any tips for a guy who has been trying and I’m willing to put in the work I’m all ears. Happy hunting!
I should just submit an article here on Rokslide, on hunting southern Ca. But I will say a bit here. We have a lot stacked against us here in Ca. From what is known, our herd numbers are at about there traditional norm (I will catch a lot of carp for saying that); however, our herd numbers are significantly lower that the highs of the 60's (50's through 80"s). The bottom line is that there just aren't a bunch of deer in Southern Ca, so filling a tag can take a ton of effort. Our buck to doe ratio is significantly low. The natural ratio is 50/50 or 50% bucks, while from past estimates we run about 10% in Southern Ca. There will of course be variability depending on specific herd and or location.

We have been in a drought for as long as I can remember. Yes we have had some years thrown in there with average, even above average precipitation; but those high precipitation years have not made up for years of drought. In many areas across the west, drought generally benefits mule deer. Meaning that drought generally changes the habitat to being more conducive to mule deer; ridding the habitat of heavy water use plants and replacing them with more drought tolerant plants, many of which are feed. This is rare in southern Ca with the exception of our higher elevations (which simply are not abundant)

So, lets look at current environmental conditions. We undoubtedly are in a significant drought (ignore current storm for now, I will get to it later). Typically, we have acorns on oaks and oak scrub. From my limited outings (I am recovering from a full knee replacement and need the other done also, so I don't get far from the car, for now). I am not seeing acorns growing; so I do not anticipate an acorn crop, with the exception of areas with water and water shallow underground. The above will likely concentrate deer until they get pushed. There have not been any grasses, so this has been a very tough archery season. So up until this storm, for the majority of southern Ca, the main food supply has been Buckwheat, that white flowering plant that turns redish brown as summer comes on. And, Buckwheat, if it is around, is everywhere, so the deer could also be anywhere, thus no food supply concentrating them.

Okay, on to precipitation and moisture. Typically, we have some precipitation going into rifle season, or at least moisture, that generally results in grasses growing, at least grasses under trees. Keep in mind that we do not need rain for this to happen. What I mean, is that moisture in the air will condense on the leaves of trees and drop to the ground. So we often have grasses (quality feed) growing under the trees. Up until now for this year, we just did not have this, with the exception of coastal areas.

The RUT: there are several stages to the rut, but what most consider the rut is actual breeding. We often get immature bucks exhibiting some rutting behavior, prior to the actual rut (active breeding). In the areas of southern Ca that I hunt, I see actual breeding happening in November, some years at the end of October. As such, some seasons do go into the rut (active breeding). I do not see mature bucks exhibiting rutting behaviors (including gathering does, sniffing does ...) unless the rut is on, or withing a couple days of actual breeding. I do however see immature bucks exhibiting rutting behaviors, even prior to the General Season. If you are looking to fill tags and not an accomplished hunter, those immature legal bucks eat very very well. Furthermore, if immature bucks are exhibiting some rutting behaviors, you can count on those immature buck to continue to hang with does, making them much easier to locate and harvest as if you find the correct does, those immature bucks are around.

Scouting prior to the season: My personal opinion is that way to many people go into scouting like they do hunting. They scout doing their best to not spook deer; There is a time and place for this approach. However, for those starting out, as long as the season is not approaching, I recommend trying to find as many deer as you can, which means do not be afraid to spook them. Otherwise you will be passing deer never knowing they are there. So don't be afraid to toss rocks, roll large rocks ... and note their bedding areas and escape routes. I very often hunt near bedding areas, trying to harvest bucks going to or from their beds. I also often hunt escape routes, especially if I see other hunters working an area. I want to be on the potential escape route and use those other hunters to my advantage if possible. You simply cannot be very effective at doing this if you don't know bedding areas and escape routes without a lot of luck.

Bucks and does: For those starting out hunting deer here in southern Ca, I do not recommend going after mature bucks, unless you like tag soup. immature bucks often hang with does. Mature bucks are seldom with does unless the rut is on. So in short, you generally find mature bucks in different areas. At best, the areas mature bucks use overlap with areas does utilize. If you simply after filling your tag with any legal buck, knowing areas mature bucks frequent is not important.

Tactics: I am almost always in a place I want to hunt at least 1/2 hour before first light. This is extremely important to me. I mean, in southern Ca, you simply cannot move a foot without making noise. So getting to a good spot in time for things to settle down and have any animals in the general vicinity forget about you, from a sound (noise) and visual perspective, is very very important. Ah, the visual perspective. You need to be in position and NOT moving. Generally, I tuck into a bush, rocks, or simply build a blind prior to the season. But the bottom line is that I know exactly where I want to be sitting well before the season opener. I like having a comfortable place I can sit and glass from. As such, I often identify glassing places well before the season opens, and take loppers, a shovel and a sometimes a pick, and make myself a comfortable place that helps conceal me and any minor movements. In short, the vast majority of the time, I am letting the bucks come to me. That does not mean I don't spot and stalk, but as I previously said, in most of southern Ca, it is almost impossible to move without attracting the attention of every animals out there. But rifle hunting, there is some room for spot and stalk. In short, I harvest about 95% of my deer from a place I plan of sitting.

How much time to sit a spot: Generally speaking I will sit at any given spot from 2 hours and up. After that 2 plus hours, I will move to a different spot. But from my experience, in the mornings, I generally see deer/bucks, withing the first 3 hours of first light. After that I usually hunt bedding areas from a distance. I try to catch the movement, from an ear flick to getting up and moving a feet back into shade. This requires good glass and a lot of patience. I like to spend all day hunting, so I will often move several times during the day, unless of course I fill my tag.

Spot and stalk: If you do employ spot and stalk and cannot do it without being noticed, use everything you can to your advantage. What I mean is that if it is a hot day, wait until the heat of the day to make your move, if you can. Let me explain, in the wild, an animal, including fish, need to take in more than they expend. At times of extremes, this becomes paramount. So at times of extreme heat and extreme cold, animals do not want to expend energy unnecessarily, as they have a much higher need to replace the energy they used, not to mention their increased need for water. Simply put, they become depleted much easier and much sooner in those extremes. Back in the day, when I exclusively archery hunted, I knew several beds of several different bucks. I would cut and rake trails to shooting distance of their beds (when they were not occupied), and filled many tags with the above method. Simply put, under such conditions, most deer/bucks, will hold until what they perceive as the last second, providing an opportunity. Keep in mind that rain, like some areas have recently/currently been getting, changes the odds of spot and stalk. However, the deer will be much more willing to move.

Evenings: I like to sit watching bedding areas in the evenings, trying to catch a buck coming out to feed. In case I did not make it clear, knowing their travel routes (non pressured) from their bedding areas is paramount, as it does not help to be in the wrong place to only watch a legal buck walk away from you with no viable game plan.

In short, putting all these pieces together (there are many more) takes a lot of time and effort in the field. Many hunters are willing to spend as much time as they can to fill a tag. However, once they fill their tag, the vast majority do not go back out. If you do fill your tag early (congrats), I strongly suggest you continue to go afield (unarmed, perhaps only a pistol) and observe. Observe how people hunt the area, observe those observable animals and how they react, escape and travel routes ...

Lastly, the harvest: Know what you are capable of in respect to getting an animal on ice. If you are close to a road, you may be able to easily drag the buck to the road and process the animal, getting it on ice quickly. If you are miles from the road, the meat could spoil if you do not have the right equipment for the job, don't have the know-how, ... There are plenty of video's you can watch on this subject, but despite that, nothing replaces experience.

Best of luck to you all!

TheGDog

WKR
Hey Yo... @WrstMuleHntr... pay attention when "The OTHER Gary" (BubbleHide) tells ya something. That man has been very patient with my barrage of questions when I first started all this back in like 2014/2015. He's a standup guy. As long as he sees you're committed to it, and asking him specific, pointed questions, that show you've put some thought into this, and also that you came up with those questions due to stuff that happened, are that you experienced while out in the field... he's been a gem at offering up notes from his personal experiences that have something to do with your question.

Him seeing how committed I was to this pursuit, he even offered to have me tag along a couple times! Since it was more in the beginning for me... MAN!!!.. homeboy was like a freaking Machine!!! Like a Mountain Goat leaving me behind to play catchup all the time on the hike-ins! Not to mention this one time we were like literally scaling up a very vert slope. Eek!

It's been my observation that he speaks well, meaning his sentences are markedly better than most in terms of Grammar and Syntax. (I'm a coder, so I hate ambiguity, and love when people give enough detail that you don't have to ask them anymore follow-up questions. You learn to do the same in coding when you're often having to write emails to other companies regarding integrating their API product calls into your coding. So I very much appreciate that!)

I'm on the LA/OC border in West Garden Grove. Glad to have ya aboard Man. And P.S. I gotta 15yo as well. So who knows, perhaps we can figure out some kinda hunting opportunity where it's just more about getting them on stuff. In that regard... Rabbits, Ducks and Doves have been a great way to get my boys feet wet with taking game. (What a great tie-in to mentioning Ducks, eh? "feet wet" HaHA! Wasn't intended but I'll take it!)

So let us know what city you're in and a laundry list of pursuits you'd be down to join in on. What kinda weapons you have access to, etc.

Gary, thanks!

@WrstMuleHntr, I'd take this guy ^^^ up on anything he offers. He soaked info up faster and better than anyone I know, so well he can teach it. Most guys ask the wrong questions (usually to them I answer the questions they should be asking, at least IMNSHO). The Gary above hammered me with specific question after question while providing background to give his questions much more meaning than is typical. He is a very detailed oriented person. You could gain alot from hanging or conversing with him.

Gary
Like a "mountain goat" what you tryin to say Willis!
Was that you I was digging foot holds for on the way up?

Bubblehide in pig mode:
Garys hogs.jpg

Bubblehide in deer mode:
IMGP3621.JPG

Bubblehide in trout mode:
078.JPG

Bubblehide in BP mode:
070.JPG

Bubblehide in glassing mode:
photo.JPG

Bubblehide in dessert mode:
gary dessert.JPG