Worst thing to ever happen to elk hunting

Geewhiz

WKR
ONX MAPS and loudmouths on you tube.

Gone are the days that a guy had to pick up a paper map and go for a hike to find a good spot or explore access, find wallows, trails and new country. Now any joe blow from anywhere in the world can sit on his couch and "scout". Sure, its handy, but there is no work involved. I realize you can never truly learn an area until you have physically been there, but nonetheless it truly frustrates me. Every year for the past few years I show up at the place only I used to hunt only to be greeted by several non resident vehicles. Wonder how they found it...

Am I the only one??

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Taking camera crews into the woods giving major clues to states/units/wilderness areas is the worst IMO. It’s in every “industry” my buddy who is a big surfer complains about the same things I do about social media and YouTube blowing up his surfing spots. It all comes down to men needing attention and social media friends/likes and it’s disgusting really.

Agree with you on this Muley.

In a time with decreasing hunter numbers, we should be applauding ideas and avenues that make hunting more accessible.

But to the OP, I agree it is frustrating when you work hard and find a honey hole only to have it found by others. But we have to remember that public land is for all of us and even though it’s frustrating, we have to either share or find a new spot with that same hard work it took to find this spot.

Just my opinion.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
I don't agree that there is decreased hunter numbers.

But I do realize it is public land made public to be enjoyed by all. Just a personal beef with technology is all.

I’d bet certain areas do see more hunters due to technology. But nationwide we have been in a decline since 1982 when it comes to hunter numbers. A simple web search will back this up. Here’s one article if your interested.

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
The worst thing to happen to elk hunting, has been happening for years and years. People can't keep their big mouths shut. Lol. It's just worse now, that they have multiple outlets to brag to others with. In the end it's public land. When I find someone in my spots, I give them props for finding it on their own. Because I know I didn't share it.

You do realize that people have been using free aerial imagery/satellite imagery to scout for a couple decades now, right? I have been using aerial imagery since the early 2000's to scout national forests lands, large private parcels and public lands in other states. Google Earth, Google Maps, USGS satellite imagery, state and local online GIS parcel data has been readily available, for free, for many years. OnX, Gaia and things like that are just a relatively new concept that has put tons of available data right in one spot. Now, instead of cross-referencing aerial photos from different places and trying to overlay them on GMU maps, animal migration/range maps, roads maps, trail maps, etc, it's all available in one handy place now. Just seems to me you are mad someone else found your PUBLIC hunting spot. Remember, they had to walk their just like you did. Yes, maybe they found it by looking at an online map, but that online map didn't magically teleport them to that spot.

I don't agree that there is decreased hunter numbers.

But I do realize it is public land made public to be enjoyed by all. Just a personal beef with technology is all.
I keep hearing how hunter numbers are down despite seeing increases everywhere I go on a yearly basis. So here is my best analogy. Imagine there is an island with a decreasing human population, but what population is left all congregate on the side of the island with the most public shade.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
I keep hearing how hunter numbers are down despite seeing increases everywhere I go on a yearly basis. So here is my best analogy. Imagine there is an island with a decreasing human population, but what population is left all congregate on the side of the island with the most public shade.

Seams reasonable. I'm not one to analyze statistics regularly but I'm seeing the same thing your seeing and it doesnt make sense to me that hunter numbers are down.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
OP, would you feel better if they were resident vehicles?
Is it the technology or the out of staters that trigger you the most?

No not necessarily, just my observations though. I think it is just more of the technology that frustrates me and the lack of effort it takes nowadays. I am a relatively young guy but i think I have more of an old timers mindset about some things.

OP you answered your own question... they can’t REALLY learn anything until they get boots on the ground. So you shouldn’t worry just because they’re parked at the same spot.
There are always people at my trailhead and I do try to be the first one up the hill. But I know enough about my area that it doesn’t really matter to me if someone else goes up the same trail. My higher spike camp area gets better once there’s some pressure in the area.

I’d rather see newcomers than guys who know the area.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I'm glad to help.....but there's a reason why I don't post pictures on the internet.

One friend had Metadata enabled and posted some pics. A week later he's got two dead bulls in his place with two guys who've never been in the area.

I'm not savvy enough to prevent that, nor vain enough to need it.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
But did someone tell them about the shade or did they find it on their own? Kidding...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Hunter numbers are down in the East and the Midwest due to lack passing down the torch to the next generation you could say. That is because private land ownership is shifting to the next generation and they want the money for hunting big whitetails instead of letting the neighbors kids hunt it for free like the good ole days. This forces everyone to the west where hunter numbers are SKY rocketing. Couple that with your Newbergs of the world telling you exactly how to hunt western states. I don’t know why know one else realizes this. It’s not my opinion I heard this years ago..