Wrapping a Plug

For years now I have been wrapping my Knight breech plugs with Teflon tape versus using any type of grease. I have always used the normal White plumbers tape to complete the job. And it really has been a good experience for me.

So after wrapping this is what a completed project would look like

BP-wrapped.jpg

Well, this summer when working with technician doing a safety check on a commercial kitchen hood, I noticed that he was using a different Teflon than I had seen before. I asked him about the tape and it was his feeling it was a stronger tape and tended to seal much better than the normal white Teflon. With that small bit of information I thought it might be something I would like to try with my muzzleloaders.

1_Blue_Monster.jpg

So for the last few months I have been using this tape and 'for me' it certainly has proved to be a better sealing possibly stronger tape. The way I do this project the BP is completely cleaned and brushed with a wire brush to remove all foreign materials. Then with the BP inserted in the ratchet and socket I start a wrap around the nose with the tape extending over the nose. Actually I wrap the nose with two wraps then start down the BP to the ends of the treads. Cut the tape and then turn the BP in your thumb and forefinger to press the tape down in the threads. This tightens the tape to the body of the BP.

2_Nose_Wrap.jpg

When the BP is wrapped, cut, and pressure rolled in your fingers the last step is to tap the taped that was extending above the nose down onto the nose. The two wraps over the nose will most always provide a near positive seal at the nose when the BP is tighten snugly up against the shelf in the breech.

3_Wrapped_-_Tapped.jpg

It does take some practice to get the good wrap but once you have mastered it - it becomes very simple.

CorbLand

WKR
Blue Monster is the shit. We used that all the time for landscaping and its way better than the general teflon.

OP
sabotloader
Blue Monster is the shit. We used that all the time for landscaping and its way better than the general teflon.

Your first sentence scared the heck out of me! - then the second one makes it all good. I have been using it a few months and not written about until I really believe it was making a difference.

weaver

WKR
I'll have to try that. Do you leave all that tape on the face of the plug or cut some of it off? Seems it would affect ignition with it in the crater like that.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
sabotloader
I'll have to try that. Do you leave all that tape on the face of the plug or cut some of it off? Seems it would affect ignition with it in the crater like that.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Yep you just leave the tape over the nose. Insert the plug just like normal. Then when I shoot I always pop a couple of caps to clear the BP of oil. The caps also blow the excess Teflon out of the barrel.

I just the see excess tape laying on the ground under the muzzle when I touch off the ignition. Whenever I do this process and touch off the cap or primer I point the muzzle down near the ground and verify there is gas and Teflon coming from the barrel. The mass of Teflon especially blue is very visible.

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
This is an eye opening idea. I really like the smell of gorilla grease (not joking) I will have to give this a shot as a cleaner option.

OP
sabotloader
This is an eye opening idea. I really like the smell of gorilla grease (not joking) I will have to give this a shot as a cleaner option.

The direction of the wrap is extremely important... this picture might provide some hints. But it truly does take a few tries to figure this all out.

Wrapping-a-Plug.jpg

Hello forum members. I am new to this forum. I have a Knight LK-93 with a very stuck breech plug. I am soaking with PB blaster from both ends. Do not have the Knight tool for slotted breech plug. Delivery is extended and would like to manufacture a tool from 12mm socket. I would like to know if someone could provide the dimensions of the slot, width and depth.E54497AF-476B-452F-B74F-8418E4AE8243.png

OXN939

WKR
The direction of the wrap is extremely important... this picture might provide some hints. But it truly does take a few tries to figure this all out.

Wrapping-a-Plug.jpg

Is there a reason why wrapping it counterclockwise would be ill-advised? I've used teflon tape a few times, and it seemed to work just fine as long as I had a full 360 degree wrap around the threads either way.

OP
sabotloader
Wrapping clockwise down the plug is what I am suggesting. Wrapping counter - clockwise the tape could actually peel off as the plug is turned into the BP.

OP
sabotloader
Hello forum members. I am new to this forum. I have a Knight LK-93 with a very stuck breech plug. I am soaking with PB blaster from both ends. Do not have the Knight tool for slotted breech plug. Delivery is extended and would like to manufacture a tool from 12mm socket. I would like to know if someone could provide the dimensions of the slot, width and depth.View attachment 178389

This is the tool you want although you can fashion a tool from a large screwdriver or use an modified chisel.

OP
sabotloader
I wrapped out of precaution - Just did not want it to stick shooting T7. Normally the plug by itself does a very good job stopping blow back if you have the nose gas rings are clean and staggered, but I felt the tape was added insurance. Today I would use the blue tape...]

This pic show the gas rings staggered so the gaps in the rings do coincide.

SpeedBreechGasRing.jpg