WY Corner Crossing Solution?

Legend

WKR
Wow it is sponsored by a legislative committee. Where I come from those usually stand a chance.

Rich M

WKR
I saw something about expanding GW authority to ticket and deal w trespassing hunters instead of having to call sheriff.

Seems like they’re using a darker shade of gray to color between the lines, think it’s enough? Still isn’t defining air space is it?

Courts will have to deal with it as it pertains to federal lands. Cannot unring the bell at this point.

Flyjunky

WKR
The adage of this bill seemed to be more geared towards the recent corner crossing issues, at least that's what I took from it. Shoring up verbage and such.
That’s what I take from it as well. The verbiage of physically touching the surface isn’t subtle.

But, like @Trackerbacker said above, it will most likely take a court case to settle it.

Physically touch with what? How do you define the surface?

Does this include touching brush? Ground surface only? What if I drop something from my pocket and that touches the surface of private property?

There's plenty of room for creative interpretation.

dtrkyman

WKR
We all should go to Wyoming this year and corner cross, get this chit resolved. Physically touch is fantastic, time to brush up on my hurdling skills!

The guys involved in the civil suit should send out coordinates so everyone can go cross the same place! Just leave that ladder for us!

OP
bgipson

bgipson

FNG
I like the looks of the bill.

Need a federal law that says simply: all federal public land shall be accessible by foot at minimum.
Not all public land is touching other public or accessible without crossing vast swaths of private. I can't support infringing on private landowners rights. Corner Crossing is entirely different where there are touching parcels vs some isolated pockets of "public".

98% of the people wouldn't even be able to find the monument to step over it in the dark. lol

OP
bgipson

bgipson

FNG
Physically touch with what? How do you define the surface?

Does this include touching brush? Ground surface only? What if I drop something from my pocket and that touches the surface of private property?

There's plenty of room for creative interpretation.
Physically touch would insinuate anything under your control (yourself, you equipment, etc.) and surface would likely be interpreted as the land itself since bushes/trees are above the surface.

As far as dropping items, I would revert to the rest of the definition that doesn't allow entering private lands. I imagine if you could reach the item without entering the property, you would be fine otherwise you'd be in violation if caught entering to retrieve it.

I've got no issue with the clarification but I'm sure if passed it will get tied up in court. That said, it won't be reversed until that case closes so it would open the land for some time.

jrkananen

FNG
Would be nice to see this passed and agreed that it's a step in the right direction, but I think it's immediately going to be challenged in courts with landowners arguing about ownership of airspace

Jethro

WKR
This bill is not as specific to corner crossing as most of you are making it. Its about giving authority to game wardens to cite for trespass even when there is no intent to hunt private. A power that they currently do not have.

OP
bgipson

bgipson

FNG
This bill is not as specific to corner crossing as most of you are making it. Its about giving authority to game wardens to cite for trespass even when there is no intent to hunt private. A power that they currently do not have.
The statute is still the same with the clarifying statement that it requires contact with the land so it removes any ambiguity about airspace. Wardens have always been able to cite for trespass just not criminal trespass which they still can't even with this bill.