Wy Region G Success Rates

jlmoeller

FNG
My friend and I are planning a 2018 Wyoming DIY region G rifle Mule Deer Hunt. We are both from Iowa and aggressively hunt whitetails with a bow and gun. We had a successful WY antelope hunt in 2013 and plan on going again in 2016. We have acquired back packing gear and did a weekend archery back pack deer hunt in Iowa this fall.

My goal is to get a 150+” mule deer. We may or may not be able to do a scouting trip in 2017 to prepare. I know this is a loaded question, but what do you guys think our chance of success is for one or both of us to fill a tag? With or without pre-scouting?

My friend is considering a 2017 guided elk hunt in the same area with a guide that will share info on mule deer. How much does that increase our odds?

Thanks for the help. I am just trying to get an honest assessment of our chance of success.
Jason Moeller

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am no expert on Region G (never hunted it) but I have hunted Region H. If you have never backpack hunted Mule Deer in the high country it might be challenging. Strictly based on the lack of experience (not saying you cant do it, but there is a learning curve involved). I would venture to say that if someone was a seasoned mountain hunter, the success rate would be significantly higher for that unit.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I think 150" deer is doable for sure. Probably more doable during archery season.

Eagle

WKR
it hasn't been decided, but lets say 8 days in the mountains.
Thanks,
Jason

In 8 days, with a scouting trip to get to know the area before hand, I think you'd have fairly good odds of at least one of you finding and tagging a 150" buck. Two may be stretching it, as the bucks can really go underground when the pressure gets turned up. I would highly suggest you consider the two weeks of archery only, or maybe wait until the last 10 days of the season or so, as the pressure is generally a lot lower later than it is the first week of the season. Another option is to show up a few days ahead of your seasons opening and go in and scout/glass to try and locate a shooter and then sit on him until opening morning.

My experience this last year in Region H has me leaning towards the archery season in the future. The pressure is unreal in H where I was hunting, and while it likely isn't as bad in portions of G, its still probably worse than you are anticipating as far as the rifle opener and first week is concerned.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Couple days prior to rifle opener is a busy time in g with everyone hoping to sit on a good deer. How many points you guys have? Creep is killer in G

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I don't think people that have not hunted G or H understand the amount of pressure that area gets. I had 21 horse trailers at the trail head by Sept. 14 where I hunted.. That doesn't count the trucks with out trailers. You will need to work (hike asss off) to find good deer.

Remember, you can't out hike a horse.

Eagle

WKR
I don't think people that have not hunted G or H understand the amount of pressure that area gets. I had 21 horse trailers at the trail head by Sept. 14 where I hunted.. That doesn't count the trucks with out trailers. You will need to work (hike asss off) to find good deer.

Remember, you can't out hike a horse.

Don't forget the llama and goat trains either. I still can't get over the pressure. I honestly think it was worse than the public land area I hunt in Illinois for whitetails, or at the least the couple square miles I spent most of my time in was.

OP
J

jlmoeller

FNG
Couple days prior to rifle opener is a busy time in g with everyone hoping to sit on a good deer. How many points you guys have? Creep is killer in G

Currently I have 3 pts and he has 4 points. We are worried about point creep and may end up delaying or a different unit.

Jason

bricketts

FNG
Put in the money for some good glass, and get dialed in for some long range shooting, youre going to want to hunt rifle. I hunted region g in the 2015 season, was there for 9 days, and easily saw over 30 150" bucks, and was fortunate enough to take a 195" typical myself. Heavy competition will be there, be ready to shoot 700 yards if you want that trophy youve dreamt of. Altitude may get to you, depends on the person, took a toll on my dad but i was okay, and we were coming from washington, steep hikes and long days are what will bring you success. Other than that good luck