Latest on Wy Region G Deer success rates

Archer86

WKR
Right, so, the habitat wasn't adequate? The demands of the winter were greater than the habitat could provide the population.

Better habitat would have helped.
An easier winter would have helped (maybe like "the last three years"?).
Lower population would have helped.

The surviving animals are proof that the habitat had some food, and the mortalities from starvation are proof the habitat couldn't provide enough food for all. That doesn't mean the habitat is bad, nor that similar results will occur from now on, it just means that it came up short this time. Different timing of snow, more wind, less freeze/thaw, different cloud cover, vehicle traffic, vegetation germination, there's an endless list of variables that go into the result. The one-sentence summation still ends up being that the habitat couldn't support the population.DUE TO THE HARSH WINTER

You and I are off-topic, and I need to go load the truck. 6 bucks are living their last Thursday.
fixed it for you

Good luck on your hunt

OP
Indian Summer
All these replies and just over hear waiting for @Indian Summer to reply whether or not he killed a buck in G. I assume he did because he "always finds a way to fill a tag" . Not anything wrong with that, but seemed odd to me he didnt respond or mention if he tagged out or not.
No animals were harmed. Never saw anything close to being worth shooting.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
Yep!
There's no coincidence that Colorado's trophy elk units also don't have antler point restrictions. Similarly, mule deer herd health went up when antler point restrictions went away...
I would be interested in reading the study on mule deer health going up after antler point restrictions went away. Could you post up the source? Thanks!

sndmn11

WKR

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
It might be helpful to me if you defined "mule deer health". It's a broad term and very subjective. Are you saying fawn production increased, buck to doe ratios improved, mule deer habitat improved, mature mule deer increased, or overall population increased after APRs went way?

S.Clancy

WKR
It might be helpful to me if you defined "mule deer health". It's a broad term and very subjective. Are you saying fawn production increased, buck to doe ratios improved, mule deer habitat improved, mature mule deer increased, or overall population increased after APRs went way?
Those are social metrics, no data to show either of the bolded terms matter from a strictly biological sense.