Latest on Wy Region G Deer success rates

HOT ROD

WKR
I hope WG&F cut the season from September 15 -22 and area 135 with the same start dates and end dates... Cut NR tags in area G to 50 and area H to 100 tags.

Yeah, lets get serious about saving these deer by further limiting the folks who wait 10 years to come out once and make up 8-9% of hunters and 13% of the harvest but not restrict that vast majority of hunters who can do it OTC for cheap every year. That'll move the needle.

Last edited:

amassi

WKR
Especially when the biologist in the article said the population is dependent on does and fawns and the bucks don’t matter.

“The trajectory of the herd is dictated by does producing fawns, and fawns surviving,” Fralick said. “It’s not based on bucks at all.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Especially when the biologist in the article said the population is dependent on does and fawns and the bucks don’t matter.

“The trajectory of the herd is dictated by does producing fawns, and fawns surviving,” Fralick said. “It’s not based on bucks at all.”

They’re “gender neutral” deer. Bucks, does, fawns can all get pregnant.

HOT ROD

WKR
Western Wyoming had a terrible winter last year that absoulutly hammered the antelope and deer and to a lesser extent elk.... Because of this bad winter Wyoming residents should give up there general tags the deer will recover it will take sum time... Is going LQ the answer in my opinion its not just look at all the LQ areas we have now and theirs not one thats worth 10 NR points except for a couple late rut hunts we have here... So my opinion is to start area G and H September 15 and ends 7 days later keep the point restriction on cut NR tags take care of the migration corridors and the winter range...

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
If we want to reduce the harvest snd maintain some opportunity, why not run the season oct 1- oct 10 or something similar to other units throughout the state? I like hunting those bucks in mid september as much as anyone because they are vulnerable. But, lets save some age class eh?

Western Wyoming had a terrible winter last year that absoulutly hammered the antelope and deer and to a lesser extent elk.... Because of this bad winter Wyoming residents should give up there general tags the deer will recover it will take sum time... Is going LQ the answer in my opinion its not just look at all the LQ areas we have now and theirs not one thats worth 10 NR points except for a couple late rut hunts we have here... So my opinion is to start area G and H September 15 and ends 7 days later keep the point restriction on cut NR tags take care of the migration corridors and the winter range...

If not enacting any restrictions on the 87% of hunters who can do it OTC every year doesn't move the needle, why do you think enacting further restrictions on the 13% that have to wait 10 years will make a difference? Just seems spiteful. [Edit to add: I'll concede that it is much easier for WGFD to just reduce #'s that it already limits vs taking a prized resident general tag and making them LQ so they can say they took some action but that doesn't mean it would make a difference]

WY has the best resident preference deal going in western hunting and IMO it probably should being as it is less hospital to most people's desired lifestyle than most other states! But when the best setup in the west is never good enough it just comes off greedy.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
Last edited:
I'm sure the game biologists had no clue numbers were down so no reason to limit hunting pressure.
Obviously they need more studies, funding and manpower.

Rich M

WKR
I'm sure the game biologists had no clue numbers were down so no reason to limit hunting pressure.
Obviously they need more studies, funding and manpower.
They were talking about the worst winter kill in a long time, and had no idea the numbers were down?

Cutting tags will keep the buck age class up but will do little for the population. We just need mother nature to cooperate. The studies done in Utah for winter feeding shows that it does in fact help the deer survive, so there's a little something we can do if the winter is horrendous yet again🤢.

deadwolf

WKR
Hunted western WY for ten days, just returned home a week ago. Saw very few bucks, doe numbers were middle of the road based on my previous years hunts there. What I did see was more bears than I have ever seen in any previous hunting trips down that way. Wolves howling every night that could be heard from camp. I fully support a predator harvest in an effort to help the deer population rebound and maintain. It seems you combine some bad winters with an overpopulation of predators and have a very bad scenario for deer : )

Hunted western WY for ten days, just returned home a week ago. Saw very few bucks, doe numbers were middle of the road based on my previous years hunts there. What I did see was more bears than I have ever seen in any previous hunting trips down that way. Wolves howling every night that could be heard from camp. I fully support a predator harvest in an effort to help the deer population rebound and maintain. It seems you combine some bad winters with an overpopulation of predators and have a very bad scenario for deer : )
I was in Region G elk hunting in Sept. Hadn't been there since I did the same in 2018. We had wolves howling nightly around us as well, I dont recall hearing any in '18. I assumed we were pretty far south for their primary range? Also had a handful of black bear encounters. I did in '18 as well with a black bear claiming the elk kill before I found it actually. Seems to be a bunch around there. Not laying blame on predators just sharing experiences but they cant help.

Saw 2 or 3 mule deer over a week hunting. Pretty pitiful!

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
What most people fail to consider with G/H or any other license allocation throughout the state of Wyoming when discussing res / non res ratios is the general lack of population across our state. If we had as many resident people as colorado, idaho, california, whatever other state, limiting residents to more LQ only would make sense. In the future, if more people move here permanently from other places, it becomes a real issue, but at last count, there are still less than 600,000 permanent residents statewide. This is why we can continue to offer over the counter opportunity for permanent residents and need to limit non residents.

What most people fail to consider with G/H or any other license allocation throughout the state of Wyoming when discussing res / non res ratios is the general lack of population across our state. If we had as many resident people as colorado, idaho, california, whatever other state, limiting residents to more LQ only would make sense. In the future, if more people move here permanently from other places, it becomes a real issue, but at last count, there are still less than 600,000 permanent residents statewide. This is why we can continue to offer over the counter opportunity for permanent residents and need to limit non residents.

I didn't see anyone else mention anything contrary. That is obvious. It's why i think WY SHOULD have the best Resident preference in the west like they do.

It's just comical when pressed with hard times and something needs cut, the 90% of people who have access to something every year are off the table but boy lets make sure we stick it to the SOBs in that 10% who've been paying in and waiting for 10 years even though that definitely wont make a difference.

Last edited:

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't see anyone else mention anything contrary. That is obvious. It's why i think WY SHOULD have the best Resident preference in the west like they do.

It's just comical when pressed with hard times and something needs cut, the 87% of people who have access to something every year are off the table but boy lets make sure we stick it to the SOBs in that 13% who've been paying in and waiting for 10 years even though that definitely wont make a difference.

What percentage of available licenses go to non residents in high demand limited quota units in other states?