Wyo Special Apps are down in #’s

Price increase and disposable income is getting harder to come by.

The economy is slowing in my area. And guys I know who are avid hunters/outdoorsman are already talking about how they are having a hard time justifying the extra expense of out of state hunts. When it starts coming down to the fact that these people have to decide whether to take their family on vacation vs go to (insert state here) for elk hunting, I think family wins out.

I think we are going to a downward trend over the next several years. The COVID boom was not sustainable.

I saw this coming. I was surprised some didn’t agree when I said the random draw odds for Special elk applicants will be the best in years.

We all know that money is no matter to some. But if a hunter truly has money to burn once the license alone costs a couple thousand why wouldn’t he consider Alaska or elsewhere? Apparently some of those rich dudes did say screw it.

For others it’s not about money. It’s about priorities. These are the elk junkies. I fall into that category. I’ve quit jobs over elk hunts. But for the first time since it started requiring a point or more to draw I’m in the Regular. Obviously I’m not the only one. So unfortunately the draw odds in the random Regular drawing will be the lowest ever.

fmyth

WKR
>>Wyoming’s special fee increases are in line with surrounding states,” Ball said.<<

I'll admit I'm not familiar with "surrounding states" but where else are antelope and deer tags $1200? Or $1275 if you archery hunt?
"The price increases brought Wyoming’s fees more in line with regional market value, and the application numbers should rebound, she added.

“In the past, the department has witnessed short-term immediate application reductions when fees increase, but over time have seen this rebound due to demand. Wyoming’s special fee increases are in line with surrounding states,” Ball said."

huntnful

WKR
Wasn’t this the goal? Raise cost, reduce applicants, break even or generate even more revenue. Not advocating one way or the other but this can’t be surprising to anyone.
From what I heard, when EXO had the WY game and fish on the podcast, this was the goal. They said the special no longer created better odds for those willing to pay it. So they made it more expensive, to increase the odds for that specific application.

I don't care enough about elk to do a special elk tag. But I'd do special deer every year that I could draw it. That's just me personally, because I love deer hunting.

LostArra

WKR
"The price increases brought Wyoming’s fees more in line with regional market value, and the application numbers should rebound, she added.

“In the past, the department has witnessed short-term immediate application reductions when fees increase, but over time have seen this rebound due to demand. Wyoming’s special fee increases are in line with surrounding states,” Ball said."
Ok, so where are the other $1200 antelope tags? I'm just curious about her statement regarding surrounding states.

(it seems ridiculous to even type "$1200 antelope tag".)

$1200 antelope, right! Expensive is relative to everyone based on actual income and their priorities. I’m not broke and no way in h e double hockey sticks will I ever pay that kind of money to hunt. But plenty will. I see a scary consequence of driving out NR participation. And that is fewer hunters taking an interest in anti-hunting and conservation issues. Look at what is going on in Washington state and Colorado right now. It’s a lot easier to get people involved when they have a vested interest.

$1200 antelope, right! Expensive is relative to everyone based on actual income and their priorities. I’m not broke and no way in h e double hockey sticks will I ever pay that kind of money to hunt. But plenty will. I see a scary consequence of driving out NR participation. And that is fewer hunters taking an interest in anti-hunting and conservation issues. Look at what is going on in Washington state and Colorado right now. It’s a lot easier to get people involved when they have a vested interest.
NR participation rates are not sustainable. We are looking at a general tag every 5+ years currently. 90-10 happens we could be looking much worse then that. Most people will lose interest, maybe be 1 and done.

By no means destitute, and really enjoy hunting Wyoming, but when you add up all the associated costs for this is it really worth it. As glockster stated NR rates are not sustainable especially with the current inflation on everything. The ones who will feel the fall out perhaps is the outfitters, then the supporting business types, restaurants, hotels, convivence stores. The country is going broke and the states right along with it.

Jaquomo

WKR
Wasn’t this the goal? Raise cost, reduce applicants, break even or generate even more revenue. Not advocating one way or the other but this can’t be surprising to anyone.
Yes. When I studied Natural Resouce Management back in the 70's we studied how to test the willingness-to-pay theeshold in most every public resource area. This is simply an extension, and other states will likely follow suit in some manner if it proves to achieve their goals.