Wyoming 2017

Grasp

FNG
Hey Guys,

I live in BC Canada and am planning a combo Elk/Muley trip to Wyoming in 2017 and was hoping to get some feedback on my plans as they evolve. I bought my preference points this year for both species so am looking at units where I can get a guaranteed draw and am willing to pay for the special draw for both species if it's worth it in a given unit. Right now it looks like Mid-October is the best time. I am looking at 10-14 days. Go for Elk first and then the Muley. I will be looking for foot access and backpacking it. Most likely have a hunt partner. I do a lot of backcountry blacktail hunting here in the mountains so big gnarly walk-ins and pack-outs are welcome if they get me away from some of the pressure.

So Far I am looking at Unit 47 or 33 for Elk. I should clarify that opportunity is more important than trophy size. I would like to get a decent bull obviously but I'd be more than happy with any branch antlered Elk. Then I was thinking of Region R for the Muley. Units 47 and 41 look like they have potential. Again opportunity is the key here.

I'd like to find some good glassing country. I do a lot of still hunting in the pacific northwest rainforests and the whole point of this trip is to get into some of that high elevation big open country.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated and if anyone is ever headed to BC and needs some tips or feedeback please feel free to drop a line.

wyosteve

WKR
Couple of thoughts. Since you're talking mid-October, I assume you'll be rifle hunting. Elk area 33 has a lot of private land so access can be difficult. The Bighorn elk areas get lots of hunters and pressure and the elk often bail off the mountain onto private land which basically surrounds the mountains, so again, access will be difficult. I haven't looked at the non-res. drawing odds, so don't know if there are any guaranteed draw units with 1 preference point. The Wyo. Game and Fish website has the drawing odds listed for the past several years so you should check those out. Region R for mule deer should be ok. Again, you will find quite a bit of hunting pressure and a fair number of roads for access. I'll offer what advice I can as your planning progresses.

OP
G

Grasp

FNG
Thanks Steve,

I should have clarified, yes I will be rifle hunting. The only reason I was aiming for mid-october is that it was looking like that was a good time for elk and deer seasons to overlap. I have quite a bit of flexibility on my timing.

So far this is a list of all the units that have good odds of getting a tag that I have come across.
Elk: 33, 39, 47, 54 (North of clark's fork river Type 2)
Deer: Regions E, Y, R and X

It would be nice if I could find overlapping areas so that I could be scouting and hunting at the same time but I'm not opposed to travelling between hunts if it is going to provide better opportunities.

If I've missed any units above I'm happy to check out anyone's suggestions. There's so many cool areas to go it makes it tough. Good problem to have I suppose.

I think I am also going to start to target these "Walk-In" hunting areas that WY has leased on private land etc. My logic is that if it is walk-in only maybe there will be less pressure.

greentimber

Lil-Rokslider
My advice would be pick one species and hunt. I think you'll have a hard enough time with the logistics of the hunt and learning curve of a new area that you run the risk of screwing up both hunts by trying to do two. Plus, you're compromising timing for both by trying to overlap them. Good luck.

OP
G

Grasp

FNG
I appreciate that feedback. You make a very good point. I'll take that under consideration.

HOT ROD

WKR
I would have to agree with greentimber. I would hunt deer first. Use the deer hunt to scout for elk. Did U say how many points U have?

OP
G

Grasp

FNG
Thanks Hot Rod. Just the one preference point that I purchased this year. One for each Deer and Elk. I was considering rolling the dice on a low chance unit for my first choice and then opting for the general tag for my second choice. the way IO understood the system is that this would allow me to build up my preference points.